ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Heater!

Albi 197
Hi, I've got a 1998 1.2 clio (non a/c), and the heater is pretty much useless, It gets mildly warm, which isn't enough to keep me warm!

Engine warms up as it should, blower works fine.

Not good in weather like this!

Any help appreciated!

Give the radiator a flush out, see how you go with that. If not it's the heater matrix, as it'll be blocked.

LY 182
where does the temp gauge sit may be thermostat stuck open and overcooling,,,

can you get it to warm up if you sit revving it??

or going the other way,, if you were to leave it sit with the bonnet shut would it overheat?? heater wont work if the waterpump isn't pumping ie impeller not spinning

just to add.. they are checks to do after you have done what cat mentioned

Albi 197
I'll try the above tomorrow. Not sure where to start with flushing the radiator... Any tips? :D

Albi 197
Temp gauge stays inbetween the 3rd and 4th mark on this pic (sorry, only pic i have on pc, hadnt warmed up properly at time of pic)

100_0019.gif

Last edited:
i had the same problem on my old clio & it definitely was the matrix... i tried flushing the system but ended up with loads of leaks!! if you can be bothered, take out the scuttle panel & heater fan and stick your hand down to feel how hot the matrix is getting... if its blocked it will only be hot at one end... quite a big job to change though & i think a new matrix will cost £50ish unless you go to a scrapyard... just buy a plug in heater like i did lol

MERCEDES CLS AMG
As above - replace the heater matrix.

On Renault engines your meant to use "Coolant type D" to top the water reservoir up as normal water causes the inside of the engine to corrode and in return small fragments of metal / rust block the fine pipes in the matrix. This means hot water is getting sent to the matrix but it cant get in.

Same applies to your Radiator ( Renault 5 GT Turbo owners have this problem )

Albi 197
May sound like a stupid question, but where is the heater matrix?

Thanks in advance.

The heater does get a lot warmer when car is left to idle, If this makes any difference.... :D

the heater matrix is behind the fans in the centre console or if you take the scuttle panel off you should be able to see it/feel it from there... i think you might also be able to feel it if you put your hand under the footwell casing although to take it out & fix/replace you will probably need to take out the whole dashboard which is why its likely to cost ££££s if you pay a mechanic to do it. I've read you can sometimes take them out and unblock them with a power hose or some kind of fluid but for £40-50 for a new one & the hastle of taking it out in the first place you might aswell replace it