ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

black bag under engine

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Today I spotted some black plastic hanging off my 172 cup. If was hanging under the middle of the engine . I pulled it free, it was the size of a black bag. Foam covered by black plastic. It may have come from the engine guard. It was also covered in grease and oil. Not sure if it was put there by garage,I bought it off. Or I've just snagged it while driving, or it belongs under car to insulate. Any clues?

Thanks

Renault Clio 172 Cup
It was a sheet of grey foam covered in thin black plastic. Seems odd to place foam and plastic under a hot engine.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It's some of the plastic covered foam that's attached to the inside of the sump tray,
believe it or not, it's there to soak up the oil that Renault know leaks from the sump gasket.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Chuck it in the bin, I threw my entire sump tray in the bin as have alot of others,
it doesn't provide any protection for the sump as the plastic's wafer thin,
it's only really there to catch oil leaks.

Personally I like to know when i've got a leak rather than the tray hiding it and it getting worse,
not that keeping the tray's wrong, it's just personal choice.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Funny old cars really. lol bits of plastic broke off under the bumper and it has a bit more flex on the bumper. the garage said it would cost 150 quid to replace the plastic covers under the engine as it came as complete kit. Grrr was trying to restore the car. But parts and bits are failing or falling off quicker than I can replace them. lol

Cheersw

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck on a factory resto, the exhausts came pre-rusted from the factory and they piss oil as standard,
if you have both of those then you're pure OEM. ;)

Renault Clio 172 Cup
That was my original thoughts. Plus I love the cup. Got the belts and water pump done, new cool pack as well. But it keeps getting an engine light on. Which in turn seems to reduce the power. Feels sluggish and lumpy over 4k. Seems to hesitate. Last time it came on it was the emissions. Caused by ktec sports cat. Needs garage and diagnostics I think.