ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of Drive Format help

ValverInBits
Ok, i've bought a new hard drive.

I've copied my old OS partition to my new drive on the first partition and set it active
I've copied my old data partition to my new drive on a second partition (logical).

The new drive won't boot and I suspect it's something to do with the master boot record - but I'm not clever enough :dapprove:

I could re-Ghost the whole of the old Drive to the new, but that would mess up my new partition sizes and then I'd have to go resizing partitions......yawn yawn yawn.

Is there anyway I can fix it, preferably without re-copying my data partition across.

ValverInBits
I've got partition wizard and Ghost available to me.

Partition Wizard has an option to rebuild the MBR? this any good?

R26
Doubt the MBR will have anything to do it with but i could be wrong

You have set the bios to boot from the new drive correctly? what does it say at boot up?

ValverInBits
yeah BIOS is all correct and it recognises the new drive fine. When you ask to boot off it I just get a flashing cursor and and that's it, it just doesent know what to do with itself.

I've repaired the MBR as I said above. it then got a little further with boot and said I shoudl try using the windows disc to repair windows, giving that a try now

R26
yeah BIOS is all correct and it recognises the new drive fine. When you ask to boot off it I just get a flashing cursor and and that's it, it just doesent know what to do with itself.

I've repaired the MBR as I said above. it then got a little further with boot and said I shoudl try using the windows disc to repair windows, giving that a try now

I was just going to suggest that mate, always works a treat :D

DMS

A thirsty 172
fixboot
fixmbr

from a recovery console would probably have resolved that issue.