ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 damper rates?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
In the thread linked above, how come post #43 suggests rate equivalence for a 1:1 MR versus the platform mount on the beam would mean using a spring that was double the rate?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
In the thread linked above, how come post #43 suggests rate equivalence for a 1:1 MR versus the platform mount on the beam would mean using a spring that was double the rate?
If I'm understanding what your asking mate, it's because of the lever effect of the rear beam over the spring in the oe position. When I measured it ages ago it was something like 1.7:1, so for a 500lb rear spring the wheel would only 'see' 295lbs. Most use the 1.5:1 MR though.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Yes mate, that's what seemed odd. Wouldn't the greater effort necessary to overcome a given resistance further out from the pivot require a spring of lesser rate to achieve equivalence? Post #43 suggests the inverse.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes mate, that's what seemed odd. Wouldn't the greater effort necessary to overcome a given resistance further out from the pivot require a spring of lesser rate to achieve equivalence? Post #43 suggests the inverse.
Basically mate, on Ast rear coilovers, or any rear coilovers, you don't need heavy springs, but it's an easy way to cheat the handling. It's all in a bid to control the roll. The rear controls the front on a fwd car, as I'm sure your aware, so it's done to reduce understeer. Otherwise your looking at bladed arb's, so fabrication, calculation and trial and error before you get it right. Even I've said b****cks to doing them! Too much grief!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Wasn't disagreeing with you on that mate. :)

Was just puzzled by the claim in the other thread that the b14 rear rates equated to a 500+lb rate on a rear coilover setup. The mk2 cup cars were only 390lb. :D

Speaking of bladed ARBs, do you know if that guy that posted on here from Russia ever made any headway with the one he was developing a year or so back?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wasn't disagreeing with you on that mate. :smile:

Was just puzzled by the claim in the other thread that the b14 rear rates equated to a 500+lb rate on a rear coilover setup. The mk2 cup cars were only 390lb. :smiley:

Speaking of bladed ARBs, do you know if that guy that posted on here from Russia ever made any headway with the one he was developing a year or so back?
No mate not heard of anything relating to a bladed arb. I looked at making one for mine and James's car but the interest level wained! Lol

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Completely right, I'd like to think I posted #43 at 3am or something xD Using Northloop's numbers:

MR = Spring / Wheel
1.7:1 = 1/1.7 = 0.6 ish giving you
wheel rate * 0.6 = spring rate

Had me questioning my sanity there Steven! :D

You're posts are usually very detailed - was wondering if i'd always had the wrong appreciation of the fundamentals.

Thanks both for clarifying & apologies to Sam for going OT. :)

Last edited: