ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

172 Race Car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

When we go racing the instructions always say engine not to be run before a certain time but usually someone does. we dont, had enough tellings off about stuff at various circuits

220 Trophy
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Hey James, sorry to hear about your bad day, I thought it was only me that had days like that. The car’s looking great by the way, love the orange wheels, after seeing them I think the mirrors would look good orange after all. I might get Dr Faulks to make me up a false floor as well having seen yours now.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Very sorry to hear of the unfortunate run of events... but it was a bl00dy good read! Good luck and stay away from all mirrors.

Bright wheels ftw! Lol! Sorry to hear about your luck though mate. Hope all gets sorted soon.
Haha thanks Mark, yes I love the colour of the wheels :) Thanks
Colin mentioned you had a few issues. Sorry to hear the day was a bit of a wash out. It's a good job that guy wasn't shouting at you at the end of the day :mad: Sounded like a right prick. Where is the next outing?
Haha yes quite although I would probably still reacted the same as he was just in one of those mood's where he was trying to get a bite and it wasn't going to come from me so this seemed to anger him even more :( Next outing in the car is at Brands on the 3rd April when I have got my instructor booked for the day but I have got my ARDS on the 27th March!
On a seperate note, what attachment do you use for your drill for the socket to attach? (assuming you're using it for wheel nuts?)
Sorry for the confusion I have two bosch items in the picture one is a drill and the other is an impact wrench with a 1/2" drive on the end so the batteries are interchangable
Hey mate - just noticed in your pics that you seem to have a bit of a raised floor on the drivers side

I've been doing some miles in mine recently and my right ankle really hurts holding the throttle on the motorway because without the carpet the angle is stupid
I tried lifting my foot up about 15-20mm and it's loads comfier so I thought about creating some sort of a raised floor
Is that why you've got one? What's it made out of and is it just bolted through the floor to stop it moving?
Yes pretty much and also because we left the strengthening beam in the floor it created a bit of an obstacle. All it is is a sheet of Ally that Matt had flow jet cut and then some aluminium stand off's which can be made in different heights to suit :) Just bolted straight through the floor to the underside!
Oh and also WTF with the bloke at Anglesey?

Last time I was there we arrived pre-8am for sign on and all had the engines running as it was freezing cold and we were using the heaters for warmth - one of my mates had an AX on bodies that was not quiet

Who the hell could be upset by engine noises at Anglesey - it's miles away from anyone!
I know that is what I thought but apparently it is in the planning permission. I had absolutely no idea, I had no intension of upsetting anyone so I turned it off and said I wouldn't do it again! Lol at the seagulls ;)
What an epic read, you really can't make this stuff up! So sorry to hear about the day but as you have said, a few lessons were learnt and I'm sure this is a story you will look back on and have a bit of a laugh over! Roll on the next track day and what brilliant service from the track day organiser and kwik fit!
Haha thanks mate :) Yes I mega stressed late in the afternoon but once en-route home I was laughing so all that matters is that we are okay and get home in one piece!

I know I really do owe a massive thank you to Bookatrack they must of literally spent all afternoon helping and went round all of the others guys with trailers asking if we could borrow their spare wheels etc! They didn't even charge a penny for doing so or swapping over the wheels/tyres due to how bad the day had been which was very kind of them!

When we go racing the instructions always say engine not to be run before a certain time but usually someone does. we dont, had enough tellings off about stuff at various circuits
Yes Jay as you say once told off it's not worth the hassle to keep doing it so I will just leave it in future and hopefully not have any repeats :)
Hey James, sorry to hear about your bad day, I thought it was only me that had days like that. The car’s looking great by the way, love the orange wheels, after seeing them I think the mirrors would look good orange after all. I might get Dr Faulks to make me up a false floor as well having seen yours now.
Hi Mark :) Thanks I didn't realise you were prone to these type of days also! Thanks yes I am really pleased with them! The floor works really well actually and I would recommend it! I was thinking of you the other day when I drove mine on the road, It bangs and clatters so much with the rose joints you must be a saint to put up with them although i'm sure on circuit you will be happy with them! I thought you were at Brands today or have I got confused?
Very sorry to hear of the unfortunate run of events... but it was a bl00dy good read! Good luck and stay away from all mirrors.
Thanks mate and glad to hear you enjoyed the read I thought it was too long and no one would read it haha ;) Thanks for the advise and trust me I will be doing!

Just read this James....my immobiliser issue pales into insignificance...what prep are you doing for your ARDS?

Yours is 3 days before ours so will be after a breakdown of the written bit!!

I'm sure you would of had the same feeling I had though Pete! Thinking that your day was over before it had even begun :(

I have watched the DVD a few times and I need to have a read through the blue book which Jay has kindly donated to me :) My instructor seems to think I will have no issue with the actual test so just the theory that I'm worried about! I will drop you a message and let you know how it goes and roughly what it covers :) If I forget then please just drop me a message!

Chase Racing Clio

I did my ARDS on monday....and it's pretty easy really.

Practical assessment; you've just gotta drive around the track at a reasonable speed, not put 4 wheels off the track, not spin and show awareness of others on track.

Theory; it's broken into 3 sets of questions. Takes like 10 mins to finish.

The first part is the flags, this is the bit you need to revise, it's mainly the difference between stationary and waved flags that matters. Also, don't forget, it's the NATIONAL flag to signify the start of the race not UNION flag...simple mistake quite a few people make.

The second part is 4 questions on safety that you have to get ALL correct, but you have to be a bit of a pillock to get them wrong. Just reading the other answers you'll realise what the correct one is.

Then, the final part is 8 questions on driving technique, track courtesy and administration. You only need to get 5 out of 8 on these and again, reading through the possible answers will usually get you to the right answer. Just keep your common sense hat on and you'll breeze it.

Evo 5 RS

Argh! What a day, feel for you, your head must of been pounding by the time you got home LOL! I know what it's like getting calls on a Sunday for work so I bet Matt loves you ;)

Hope you're out there again soon

182cup & 172 racecar

Sounds like the day we had once when we were building the car.

I WAS going to burn it on the hard shoulder of the M40 ,Jay stopped me thankfully.

RS2'd Trophy

Looks awesome as usual James!

Really liking the orange wheels. Are these by the company in bradford you were using?

James

182 track, Mk7 ST

Was great to meet you also, as Jay said in their thread your car was going really well when we were watching :)! Sorry I didn't get chance to come say bye, Hopefully see you again at some point.

Haha I was absolutely shattered last night when I got in and managed to fall asleep at my desk which is a first even for me :(

Cheers mate, a few people have said that :eek: No worries, I was either fiddling with the car or buzzing round in mine or my mates cars most of the afternoon anyway so wasn't really about. I'm sure I'll see you at somepoint soon anyway.

I could barely get up for work yesterday, I was trying to avoid dosing off all day. It's safe to say i spent my breaks sleeping lol :/

Renault Traffic

great read mate you have come some way since u bought it. sorry to hear about the issues glad to see there getting rectified

Cheers mate I think i'll get a piece of sheet steel and try some heights - maybe cover it in skateboard gripper tape stuff too :)

172 Race Car

We used to use skateboard gripper tape. Worked well. Have chequer plate now

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

Really sorry to read of your issues :/ Guess that's the whole point of testing/track days before racing. Would have come round if had know and would have gladly tried to help (Live in Bangor, round corner from Kwik-fit and Work on Anglesey)

I did my ARDS on monday....and it's pretty easy really.

Practical assessment; you've just gotta drive around the track at a reasonable speed, not put 4 wheels off the track, not spin and show awareness of others on track.

Theory; it's broken into 3 sets of questions. Takes like 10 mins to finish.

The first part is the flags, this is the bit you need to revise, it's mainly the difference between stationary and waved flags that matters. Also, don't forget, it's the NATIONAL flag to signify the start of the race not UNION flag...simple mistake quite a few people make.

The second part is 4 questions on safety that you have to get ALL correct, but you have to be a bit of a pillock to get them wrong. Just reading the other answers you'll realise what the correct one is.

Then, the final part is 8 questions on driving technique, track courtesy and administration. You only need to get 5 out of 8 on these and again, reading through the possible answers will usually get you to the right answer. Just keep your common sense hat on and you'll breeze it.
Thanks for that mate :) Yes my instructor said that about the flags so I paid special attention to that on the DVD :)
Argh! What a day, feel for you, your head must of been pounding by the time you got home LOL! I know what it's like getting calls on a Sunday for work so I bet Matt loves you ;)

Hope you're out there again soon
Haha I wasn't too bad on the Sunday it was Monday at Brands and Tuesday that I felt rough but fine now :) Haha I know I felt really bad calling him but he really didn't seem to mind and I think he was also frustrated that it had gone wrong as soon as it was away from them :( Not much we can do about a part failing though!

Thanks yes can't wait for the 3rd April now :D
Sounds like the day we had once when we were building the car.

I WAS going to burn it on the hard shoulder of the M40 ,Jay stopped me thankfully.
Haha I think I would of done the same had the trailer tyre not of been sorted!
Looks awesome as usual James!

Really liking the orange wheels. Are these by the company in bradford you were using?

James
Hi James, Hope your well I thought of you this morning while arguing with my local planning permission guy haha!

Thanks yes really happy with the colour! This set was done by CAS coating in bradford and for the race car they have done a great job :) I'm looking forward to finding some free time and getting the car ready with stickers and the other orange details :)
Cheers mate I think i'll get a piece of sheet steel and try some heights - maybe cover it in skateboard gripper tape stuff too :)
Sounds like a plan :) It's good with the standoff as you can just tweak the lengths and adjust the height :) Let me know if you need any other photos etc!
We used to use skateboard gripper tape. Worked well. Have chequer plate now
They looked really good on Monday :cool:
Really sorry to read of your issues :/ Guess that's the whole point of testing/track days before racing. Would have come round if had know and would have gladly tried to help (Live in Bangor, round corner from Kwik-fit and Work on Anglesey)
Yes exactly although it was a bit tough for me to deal with on the day as I had been excited for it for a long time I had to come to the realisation these days are going to happen and I just need to deal with it :)

That's very kind thank you! Is it normal to manage that journey in 20 minutes? lol It certainly was the fastest part of the day ;)

BMW Z4

Anglesey Update (I really shouldn’t of smashed that mirror at Bruntingthorpe )

We unloaded the car and proceeded to give the car a run around the paddock to try and sort out the idle issue. I then pulled back in to be greeted by a very cross/ rude gent who proceeded to bol**k me for running the engine at 9am. He stated in the booking forms that engines must not be started before 10am (It didn’t) but anyway I apologised and stated I didn’t realise. He still kept on at me telling me I was stupid, ignorant and didn’t listen to anyone, all of this in an increasingly raised voice but I just stayed calm and apologised yet again which made him even more angry and practically bellowing. I think he was making more noise than the car was but I opted not to tell him this

So while we had to wait yet again to sort the idle issue then we carried on with swapping over to the 888’s and we decided to leave the spacers in to see how this affected the setup. Once briefing was over we went outside and started to adjust the idle. With my severe lack of mechanical skill I made it much worse to the point where the car wouldn’t even run and was spluttering and back firing. Luckily after yet another call to Matt (Sorry) I realised I had been turning the adjuster too much and would of totally skipped over the sweet spot. I then tried adjusting it back but with all of the engine starts the battery’s voltage was starting to drop again so I had to take the car out and do a bit of left foot braking and keep the rev’s on at all times just to try and get some charge back into the battery. Finally after about an hour I got it running perfectly and all was well.

Mate car looks a TREAT :)

I had this too on my track day. Instructor was out with his pupil and hogging the left on pit straight entry so I and another car went up the right side. He walked up to our space a the end of the paddock and went right off on one about how scared his pupil was and how dangerous it was etc etc. I just remained calm and said yes sir no sir im very sorry sir yes you're right sir and he went away. he was right but he way overreacted and my calmness did not help him oddly.

I honestly think these types of human are miserable. We see them everywhere and they are also the same people that shop you to the Nazis during war time. Sad souls with a suit and a wind up key in their backs. Wind up the key give them a small amount of power over you and WATCH them go buddy. Just smile at them, I do.

If I were you I would ditch the PAS. You don't need it and it is just another failure point as far as I'm concerned. Mine drives fine with the standard rack without the PAS. I might put mine back on for endurance (if I ever do that) but I did a whole day of 20 min sessions in mine and it was fine on the arms.

Mark.

James, i`ll apologise now, but after reading you summary...........

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what an epic day!!

i did actually see the remains of your miror at matts last week, when i queried what happened, Matt merely said- "mirror versus James` head, James` head won..."

i sincerely hope the next outing goes hastle free

182cup & 172 racecar

IcemanUK;8529746I honestly think these types of human are miserable. We see them everywhere and they are also the same people that shop you to the Nazis during war time. Sad souls with a suit and a wind up key in their backs. Wind up the key give them a small amount of power over you and WATCH them go buddy. Just smile at them said:
Lol, Mark, you'll go far.

RS2'd Trophy

Haha like I say james if you ever need a hand drop me a call I don't mind lending a hand where I can.

Mate car looks a TREAT :)

I had this too on my track day. Instructor was out with his pupil and hogging the left on pit straight entry so I and another car went up the right side. He walked up to our space a the end of the paddock and went right off on one about how scared his pupil was and how dangerous it was etc etc. I just remained calm and said yes sir no sir im very sorry sir yes you're right sir and he went away. he was right but he way overreacted and my calmness did not help him oddly.

I honestly think these types of human are miserable. We see them everywhere and they are also the same people that shop you to the Nazis during war time. Sad souls with a suit and a wind up key in their backs. Wind up the key give them a small amount of power over you and WATCH them go buddy. Just smile at them, I do.

If I were you I would ditch the PAS. You don't need it and it is just another failure point as far as I'm concerned. Mine drives fine with the standard rack without the PAS. I might put mine back on for endurance (if I ever do that) but I did a whole day of 20 min sessions in mine and it was fine on the arms.

Mark.
Hi Mark, Thank you very much mate means alot :)

Yes it was an odd one really and everyone in the paddock could hear him and they came over and said they couldn't believe his attitude towards me :(

Haha I will think of that next time i'm getting bol**cked and probably burst out laughing lol!

I think the pump turned up today and I am fairly keen on keeping it just for ease but I think if it goes again then we will look into the other options. I didn't realise that you didn't have PAS in yours though Mark. I can see what you saying though and that is why we got rid of the dephaser etc so that there is less to go wrong!

Best of luck with the first race and I will look forward to seeing how it goes :)
James, i`ll apologise now, but after reading you summary...........

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what an epic day!!

i did actually see the remains of your miror at matts last week, when i queried what happened, Matt merely said- "mirror versus James` head, James` head won..."

i sincerely hope the next outing goes hastle free
Haha thanks PAL :rasp:

Yes it all went wrong it rather spectacular fashion! Haha yes the helmet did win, I doubt my head would of though ;)

Thanks I am just looking forward to getting back out there! Saw the stands on Monday morning in person they really are a piece of work and I can't wait to see the car on them :cool:

Haha like I say james if you ever need a hand drop me a call I don't mind lending a hand where I can.
Thanks James I really appreciate it :) I think we are pretty much sorted finally now just got to raise the funds to build the thing ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

Mmm,40 min race without pas, no thanks.

Matt is pretty sure that the pump has gone due to the overheating it endured at Snetterton so we are hoping that the new pump will fix it once and for all! If not then yes I think EPAS will be best option and we will just have to up the alternator when we do endurance stuff in the future :)

PAS pump has arrived at TDF so it won't be long and then it will all be sorted once again :) Can't wait for Brands on the 3rd April and get some more time in the car!

172 Race Car

57 seconds to beat mate ;)

Haha I'll get my instructor to drive it for a few laps and video that while pretending its me :rasp: lol

220 Trophy

Haha I'll get my instructor to drive it for a few laps and video that while pretending its me :rasp: lol
If not, i'll drive it for you James, should get the times down a bit.

182cup & 172 racecar

At least you have something to aim for or beat.

172 Race Car

Be an easy spot, he will be sat on a booster seat

172 Race Car

Yes, I realised that as soon as I posted (I saw his seat rails being fitted above the spare wheel well!!). I’m only 5.8!!
23_work-shoes-1e.jpg

220 Trophy

….probably need a couple of paving slabs extra under those.

Haha I'm only 6' 3" guys ;) Also now that the Sabelt seat is fitted then it is further forward and manageable for all you shorties :rasp:

Yes Tony I am wanting to have that something to aim for as I think it will really help me to see what the car can actually do and then see how much time I have got to make up with myself :)

220 Trophy

I missed out on going to Brands on the 14th in the end and possibly won’t be out until the April 17th now but I’ve seen you’re going on the 3rd…. I’m very tempted………….Would give you something to try and follow and learn the lines!!!