ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would love to try spa.

Car looks immaculate!

Spa is awesome but you want some really firm suspension and a diff for the off camber sections.

Only place I ever took the mrs car and felt it was just completely wrong for, although it felt mint on eau rouge half a lap later or so.

James's car there is EPIC

172 cup, Impreza P1
Spa is awesome but you want some really firm suspension and a diff for the off camber sections.

Only place I ever took the mrs car and felt it was just completely wrong for, although it felt mint on eau rouge half a lap later or so.

If the car fires up and maps ok, a diff is next. I have some KW V2's which may be slightly too soft from what you're saying Chip. Might need heavier springs.

It is on the places to visit list 'once' the car is ready. lol

Off camber always confuses me.

What would the carousel at the 'ring be for example? Slopes into the corner so, on camber?

Aren't most corners off camber?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see it back out James, Spa looks like a brilliant track I really need to get so some other tracks than Knockhill but all 100's of miles away.
What happened to the temp box you had fitted while the dog box was in bits ? Was it a loaner from Gripper or will it be forsale ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Off camber always confuses me.

What would the carousel at the 'ring be for example? Slopes into the corner so, on camber?

Aren't most corners off camber?

Most corners are just flat, off camber is where the outside of the bend is physically lower than the inside of the bend.

So the opposite to the carousel yes.

Ie if you park your car on the track your car would already be leaning the same way its going to lean when you corner hard, so it makes it lean more as a result, where as on the carousel it will actualy be quite flat when it corners as the banking helps you.

This is one of the bends I mean at spa, look at the second bend there (ie on the left of the picture) the track is leaning so that it is trying to tip you out of the bend.

5553157488_ebc7435791.jpg

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Glad to see it back out James, Spa looks like a brilliant track I really need to get so some other tracks than Knockhill but all 100's of miles away.
What happened to the temp box you had fitted while the dog box was in bits ? Was it a loaner from Gripper or will it be forsale ?

My newly rebuilt lasted all of 15mins... so James spare is now in mine.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Seem to hear of a lot uprated clio boxes failing , its the only thing putting me off getting one.
Is yours finished now Lee ?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Pretty much. Just gotta have the new hub kit thing fitted. Gonna do it at a track and test back to back

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pretty much. Just gotta have the new hub kit thing fitted. Gonna do it at a track and test back to back

Does James's data logger come in and out fairly easy, or do you have one?

If not I have a separate loom for mine that goes into other cars really easy.

Thanks chaps :) Car’s is looking okay other than unwrapped front bumper but just in the process of designing a full livery change!

Yes fabulous circuit one of my favourites, As Lee says he has it at the moment as his had a bearing problem but either way i’m afraid it won’t be for sale as its a handy spare to have on the shelf :) Now the dog box is working perfectly that might be up for sale though!
This should be really interesting, Couldn’t believe how different Spa felt yesterday compared to last time without it.
Does James's data logger come in and out fairly easy, or do you have one?

If not I have a separate loom for mine that goes into other cars really easy.
Yes very easy to swap mine over but thanks :)
Yeah, even if he buys a sadev, lol.
Let’s not talk about sadev’s or paddle shifts in this thread haha :quiet:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I was going to use a floor mounted Tilton pedal box but I couldnt get the seat back far enough.
Shouldn't be a problem in your car but I would still be looking at an underslung type for this type of application.
Personally I would stay well clear of OBP, know a few guys that have tried them and had no end of issues, main one being they flex, a lot!

Obviously need to fabricate a suitable mounting to the underside of the bulkhead, there's no strength there so it would probably need to be reinforced from the engine bay side, possibly tied into the cage?

182cup & 172 racecar
James, have a word with the guy from Merlin at combe.

I was talking to him about pedal boxes, but then of course I had the box blow so didn't go ahead with it.

I was going to use a floor mounted Tilton pedal box but I couldnt get the seat back far enough.
Shouldn't be a problem in your car but I would still be looking at an underslung type for this type of application.
Personally I would stay well clear of OBP, know a few guys that have tried them and had no end of issues, main one being they flex, a lot!

Obviously need to fabricate a suitable mounting to the underside of the bulkhead, there's no strength there so it would probably need to be reinforced from the engine bay side, possibly tied into the cage?
Thanks Kenny, Yes if I went down the route of full pedal box I’d go Tilton or AP. Seems a shame to have to make a big change just to add hydraulic clutch although ultimately a proper pedal box would be good.
James, have a word with the guy from Merlin at combe.

I was talking to him about pedal boxes, but then of course I had the box blow so didn't go ahead with it.
Thanks Tony will do :)
Clio V6, bolts straight in
Are you offering yours ;)

Thanks I thought I had heard of a clio2 having a hydro clutch. Know of any for sale?

Looked good to me, and carrying some good speed through o rouge.
Thanks :) More time to come through Eau Rouge, Pohoun and the braking zones I think.
Ffs I was at the ring 13/14/15th. Where did you watch the world cup?
Doh! Watched it at The La Source Hotel! Were you there for the trackday then?

Got a lap from the swifts at the Ring on Saturday. Was my 17th lap round there. We went quicker in the afternoon but Gopro battery died :(
[video=youtube_share;ra9z4bWJnaE]http://youtu.be/ra9z4bWJnaE[/video]

E46 M3
I was there for the trackday on the 14h. You'd probably left by the time we arrived. Only had time for 1 lap on Sunday before they closed early for the world cup.

I was there for the trackday on the 14h. You'd probably left by the time we arrived. Only had time for 1 lap on Sunday before they closed early for the world cup.
Thats the trackday I was there for on the Monday! What car were you in? We only arrived at 11ish and set off back to the UK at 4ish was a quick visit but really enjoyed it as per :)

Update:

Just renewed my race licence tonight for the rest of the year :)

Had a change of plan on Friday for my weekend and was kicking myself that I didn’t have an in date licence or I would of gone to race in CSCC Tintops so i’ve just applied for my licence this year and will try and get out a couple of times this year with French Trophy and Tintops.

I’m still on a massive high from Spa really the car ran so well.

I think in the near future the car is going to undergo some big changes, Firstly I would like to swap to sequential box and if I do that then the things I can race in don’t ban turbo engines so the thoughts at the moment are to build an F4R turbo engine capable of running 450bhp ish reliably and then peg it down at about 350-375bhp to suit the power to weight classes of what I might then race in. Would be going for a Sadev ST82-17 adjustable diff box complete with Geartronics paddle shift kit and wiring the car onto a Motec M400 and PDM30 i’ve already got! Plans are to go adjustable subframe/wishbone setup, blade ARB’s, modify/change dampers and run 15”x 8” rims with full slicks/race wets. Also got a quick refuel kit sat here along with airjacks so lets just say the car is probably turning enduro racer in the not so distant future which will be exciting :) I get so much enjoyment from the development of the car as well as driving it.

The reason for the change is because I bought the Lotus to fill a "I want big power" slot in my head but I don’t have time to build, maintain and run 2 track cars and i’m too far into the Clio to stop and I really do love it so i’m thinking to get some more power and toys in the Clio. Not 100% yet as still a chance I might finish the Lotus and leave the Clio as is but I don’t really fit in the Lotus very well so probably wasn’t the most suitable purchase on my behalf lol!

The potential things i’m thinking of competing it in are Britcar Production cup, A few of the European endurance races and maybe do some Time Attack

For now though going to leave the car as is for the rest of the season and get a few races in :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Update:

Just renewed my race licence tonight for the rest of the year :)

For now though going to leave the car as is for the rest of the season and get a few races in :)

It's about time you were back in the hot seat, which races are you planning on ?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think in the near future the car is going to undergo some big changes, Firstly I would like to swap to sequential box and if I do that then the things I can race in don’t ban turbo engines so the thoughts at the moment are to build an F4R turbo engine capable of running 450bhp ish reliably and then peg it down at about 350-375bhp to suit the power to weight classes of what I might then race in. Would be going for a Sadev ST82-17 adjustable diff box complete with Geartronics paddle shift kit and wiring the car onto a Motec M400 and PDM30 i’ve already got! Plans are to go adjustable subframe/wishbone setup, blade ARB’s, modify/change dampers and run 15”x 8” rims with full slicks/race wets. Also got a quick refuel kit sat here along with airjacks so lets just say the car is probably turning enduro racer in the not so distant future which will be exciting :) I get so much enjoyment from the development of the car as well as driving it.
Now... this sounds interesting. :) I very much look forward to the future developments!

Enjoy the rest of the season mate. :race:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a good plan James. So are you going to rob a load of the good bits from the lotus de spec it and sell on ?

Update:

I just jizzed in my pants.

Civic FN2 Track Car
BIGASH
Give Shaun Ely or Sam Borgman a call at Torque Developments @ Lakeside (01708 866609), they just fitted the first Sadev ST82 and Geartronics paddle shift kit to a Focus RS I must say its epic

Thanks guys :)

It's about time you were back in the hot seat, which races are you planning on ?
Got to decide between CSCC Oulton or FT Cadwell which is on the same weekend then FT Oulton and I think FT winter series at Snetterton :)
Sounds like a good plan James. So are you going to rob a load of the good bits from the lotus de spec it and sell on ?
Not sure with the lotus yet maybe break it for bits, maybe finish building just not so extreme and then sell it on. Just lacking time at the moment.
BIGASH
Give Shaun Ely or Sam Borgman a call at Torque Developments @ Lakeside (01708 866609), they just fitted the first Sadev ST82 and Geartronics paddle shift kit to a Focus RS I must say its epic
Funny you say that I had a chat with them a few months ago when I was there with another car using the dyno! I also have been speaking with another company that run the ST82 with an F4RT and paddles so thankfully got plenty of advice and help around me :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think in the near future the car is going to undergo some big changes, Firstly I would like to swap to sequential box and if I do that then the things I can race in don’t ban turbo engines so the thoughts at the moment are to build an F4R turbo engine

Would be nice to finally get rid of all that lag and give the chassis the power it can so clearly handle!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So Fred, do you think his car will be faster or slower round Oulton after he turbos it? ;)

Good suggestion on clio cup though, it does seem pointless spending all this money when he could be in a clio cup car doing PROPER racing instead and if he has lots of driving talent actually get noticed potentially!