ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Can anybody think of a header tank that I can use that will take a few more litres coolant than the standard one? The place doing the rad for next year suggested it to increase the capacity of water. I have trawled ebay for one but couldn't see anything that would do the job :(

You could just use two standard ones if you have space, flow out of one into the other.

TBH though more capacity is only going to delay it overheating not stop it, to stop it you need to cool better.

Do you run water wetter? If not that really helps on a borderline system.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Well done James proper chuffed for you!

Ahh okay I didn't even realise that was possible! It's only a temporary measure to test we can get the temps under control :)

Mmm okay well i'm yet to be able to get onto the ECU data but the DL1 shows 134 degree's so unfortunately it's not borderline :eek:

I'm going to try getting much more air to the rad and shroud around it! It didn't suffer any heat issues on the dyno which was odd

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

Thanks Lee :) Need to speak to you soon about something!

Cool. Any chance i can pinch that side on pic of the car showing the Apex sticker?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ahh okay I didn't even realise that was possible! It's only a temporary measure to test we can get the temps under control :)

Mmm okay well i'm yet to be able to get onto the ECU data but the DL1 shows 134 degree's so unfortunately it's not borderline :eek:

I'm going to try getting much more air to the rad and shroud around it! It didn't suffer any heat issues on the dyno which was odd

Try water wetter too, might not solve the problem single handedly but will help.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

James do you get trackcar magazine ? as they have done some articles on aerodynamics, some very good info on airflow into rads etc

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yes will get some as your about the 5th person to tell me it actually works :)

We used to use it 20 odd years ago when it first came out on the original minis with their side mounted rads.

Minis teach you a lot about cooling and rust, lol

James do you get trackcar magazine ? as they have done some articles on aerodynamics, some very good info on airflow into rads etc
I don't unfortunately but I did research it yesterday and think I understand what I need to do to get the airflow across the whole rad but the execution of me making it with no fabrication stuff could be interesting lol!
We used to use it 20 odd years ago when it first came out on the original minis with their side mounted rads.

Minis teach you a lot about cooling and rust, lol
Haha at least I only have the cooling to worry about and not the rust lol!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

I will try and copy it and send it over.

Mini's and cooling , that was happy days :rolleyes:

I don't unfortunately but I did research it yesterday and think I understand what I need to do to get the airflow across the whole rad but the execution of me making it with no fabrication stuff could be interesting lol!

Haha at least I only have the cooling to worry about and not the rust lol!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

it's not that odd, opening the bonnet lets a lot of heat out. Jay noticed a difference in temps from being out front, or tucked in behind the leader too remember, so being mid field you'll see worse flow to the front of your car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Its trackdriver magazine and you can get it for the ipad etc

What was wrong with the ' super touring spec rad ' by the way ?

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

it's not that odd, opening the bonnet lets a lot of heat out. Jay noticed a difference in temps from being out front, or tucked in behind the leader too remember, so being mid field you'll see worse flow to the front of your car

Yes it makes a massive difference if you are in the tow of another car or not, if you are right on the boot of the car in front of you the airflow is naff all.

Lionel Richie

stop worrying about silly s**t, airflow and that b****cks, i've told you before, shut up and drive the f**king thing, leave all the technical stuff to me!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

stop worrying about silly s**t, airflow and that b****cks, i've told you before, shut up and drive the f**king thing, leave all the technical stuff to me!

FLOL

Epic way to talk to a customer :)

Lionel Richie

only way to get them to listen LOL!

330i. E30 Touring.

Fred. Cutting the bullshit since the dawn of CS.

BMW Z4

Odd that it overheats ive never suffered with that on mine. I have changed the rad now but that was only because on a very hot day it ran hotter than normal.

As Fred says though ;)

I still don't believe the sensor - 130c is very hot - mine get's nowhere near that even with half an hour on track

I will try and copy it and send it over.
Thanks mate :)
That is true I hadn't thought of that!
Haha I love it when you all frisky ;) Was just trying not to pester you and was trying to work out a solution lol! Rad can't be sorted properly, feasibly or in time for Oulton so trying to work with what we have :)

Odd that it overheats ive never suffered with that on mine. I have changed the rad now but that was only because on a very hot day it ran hotter than normal.

As Fred says though ;)
Yes it is odd mate, mine does pull a lot of weight around so thats what I put it down to I think! Unfortunately I can't fit the same rad as you just have because of my PAS been in the original place :(
I still don't believe the sensor - 130c is very hot - mine get's nowhere near that even with half an hour on track
Yes thought the same originally but then it was correct on the dyno and the ECU and dash are showing the same temps :(

Lionel Richie

it hasn't gone bang so just run it, as they say ooop north "be reet"

WRX

Er be reet love as it's Leeds iirc.
Tha knows.
Leave it to Fred, I trust him.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Just trying to avoid it going bang lol ;)

Standard engine with some cams and arps isnt it?
Not exactly end of the world if it does go bang TBH, although obviously nicer if it doesnt, but dont let it ruin your racing worrying about something so easy to replace.

Lionel Richie

^exactly

so then, about that £10K 10,000rpm 280bhp race engine for next year......................

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member

Have been reading this thread almost from the start and am yet to comment on it.
Saw the car when it was at Fred's though and have been following your progress and want to say congratulations on a brilliant result!!
Can only imagine with a bit of testing and half decent qualifying you'll do brilliantly. Look forward to hearing how it goes at Oulton.
Good Luck

Er be reet love as it's Leeds iirc.
Tha knows.
Leave it to Fred, I trust him.
Haha lol :) I trust him too!
it goes bang = Zoltan fix
lol :)
Standard engine with some cams and arps isnt it?
Not exactly end of the world if it does go bang TBH, although obviously nicer if it doesnt, but dont let it ruin your racing worrying about something so easy to replace.
Yeah I know it is Chip but I can't afford to be changing the engine :( No money left to keep spending on bits breaking :(

^exactly

so then, about that £10K 10,000rpm 280bhp race engine for next year......................
Haha you want to finance that at 10p a month ;)
Have been reading this thread almost from the start and am yet to comment on it.
Saw the car when it was at Fred's though and have been following your progress and want to say congratulations on a brilliant result!!
Can only imagine with a bit of testing and half decent qualifying you'll do brilliantly. Look forward to hearing how it goes at Oulton.
Good Luck
Thank you very much :)

Yes the car has got bags of potential now and can't wait to see what happens at Oulton

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I've got doubts that the sensor has been calibrated to that high. It's probably a guessed scale over 100 ish

340i

My friend who ran an ITB'd PH-1 with the polo rad (not on the forum) bought a larger header tank from Merlin motorsport, an alloy 3L tank iirc to give more capacity.

He fabricated a frame to hold the tank, I'll try and get a photo of it.

Great read and excellent result..James - Going to say it but TDF have well and truly ripped you off - I'd be going nuts if this was my car\money. Well done for the way you've carried on, must be v hard at times when one screw is turned and another problem appears.

I've got doubts that the sensor has been calibrated to that high. It's probably a guessed scale over 100 ish
I didn't even realise that is possible mate! I've just taken it out of the housing and its reading 27 degree's i'm sure my garage isn't 27 degrees lol

Shall I try the boil a kettle approach?

Thanks
My friend who ran an ITB'd PH-1 with the polo rad (not on the forum) bought a larger header tank from Merlin motorsport, an alloy 3L tank iirc to give more capacity.

He fabricated a frame to hold the tank, I'll try and get a photo of it.
Ooo thanks for that mate I will have a look :) That would be ideal if you can get one thanks
How many lbs is your rad cap?
God knows mate its just standard :)
Great read and excellent result..James - Going to say it but TDF have well and truly ripped you off - I'd be going nuts if this was my car\money. Well done for the way you've carried on, must be v hard at times when one screw is turned and another problem appears.
Thanks Pete :) Haha lol it makes me sad thinking about the past so just trying to focus on sorting it out now and if the last few weeks are anything to go by then I will be happy but I think the old problems are coming back to haunt me with the CTS issue :(