ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Brake Suggestions/Advice

Clio 182 Cup

Best buy for uprated brakes. Ideally would like some better brakes for christmas (from me to me :D ) as I plan on upping the power eventually via cams/tb's.

Would like 4 pots but don't really want to spend silly money if possible (over 500.) But I don't want to waste money on crap ones either so there is some leway. Compbrake, Wilwood, AP Racing, Brembo, Hi Spec? Share your experiences/thoughts please.

Are the Brembo Max/Ferrodo DS pads the best most cost effective option? Another note is that I have white wheels and it is a road car so these high carbon discs/pads may not be great in terms of keeping the wheels clean?

Thanks

C

Cupster

I don't think the 4 pots will give that much advantage over a decent standard caliper setup with good disks, pads, braided hoses and fluid?? Depends if you intend track work I guess

I'm running drilled disks all round with standard calipers, braided hoses and green stuff pads. Little bit of vibration when really using them hard but never faded on me! (Never tracked it though tbh)

Plus, doubt you will find 4potters for under a monkey tbh.

Mk2 172

Best buy for uprated brakes. Ideally would like some better brakes for christmas (from me to me :D ) as I plan on upping the power eventually via cams/tb's.

Would like 4 pots but don't really want to spend silly money if possible (over 500.) But I don't want to waste money on crap ones either so there is some leway. Compbrake, Wilwood, AP Racing, Brembo, Hi Spec? Share your experiences/thoughts please.

Are the Brembo Max/Ferrodo DS pads the best most cost effective option? Another note is that I have white wheels and it is a road car so these high carbon discs/pads may not be great in terms of keeping the wheels clean?

Thanks

If your going to get 4 pots then all ill say is only get brembo or if you want the best then AP's are the only way.
Id just gor for discs, pads and braided lines. My car has ITB's, cams and is running nearly 220 bhp and i have no probs with the standard calipers and ds2500 pads with brembo discs and braided hoses.

I've run Brembo 4 pots on my Trophy and they were amazing around the ring with no fade or anything and I now have a set of Wilwoods to fit this winter.

However, braided hoses, DS2500 pads and Brembo Max or HC discs are very good just remember if your doing track work to let them cool down after a few laps.

:)

ValverInBits
hows your engineering?

Personally, I'm going to buy Willwood dynalite calipers from rally design, source bigger discs from a R21 (285mm which is enough for a MK1), and design adapter brackets and have them machined.
Easily the cheapest way to go.

Lionel Richie
hows your engineering?

Personally, I'm going to buy Willwood dynalite calipers from rally design, source bigger discs from a R21 (285mm which is enough for a MK1), and design adapter brackets and have them machined.

i use 172 discs at 280mm, cheaper too IIRC

Clio 182 Cup
hows your engineering?

Cheers for that. Well I'm a graphic designer so I have no idea how to go about fabricating brackets etc :eek:

I'll check Rally Design out though as most people tell me Willwood kits are the most reasonable?

Turbos.
Fade is only down to pads or fluid. A set of 4 pots won't solve that issue. Ultimately it all depends on how much grip you get, but problem with normal calipers and uprated everything else is you lose brake feel. They become an on/off switch. Also, if you are actually using the brakes regularly then it helps to have stiffer, more durable calipers. They're often normally lighter than OEM too...

If you're going to do 2 track days a year then i wouldn't bother, but if you're doing 1 a month then i would.

Pad choice is critical.

RB 182 Cup
hows your engineering?

If you are going to get some adapters made up, get a couple more made for me. Should help on the setup costs!

330Ci Sport Convertible
Brembo HC Discs, Mintex 1144 Pads, HEL Braided lines.

IMG_3221.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
15.jpg

Brembo Max
Goodridge braided hoses
Castrol fulid
Green stuff pads

But the pads were rubbish on the track, Ferodo ds2500 are my next set of pads when i get paid

:)

172 cup
Just remember the old clio cup race cars used standard discs and calipers but with Performance Friction pads, braided lines and AP600 fluid.

What pads are reccommended? Im looking for new fronts and were originally going for Brembo HC/ Ferrodo pads and braided hoses

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm going Pagid Blues Next as I got Grenstuffs as a last quick resort for an MOT :(

Pagid Blue's
Brembo Max Disks
Braided Lines
Dot 4 brake Fluid

Clio 182 Cup
hows your engineering?

If you get some adaptor brackets made, I'll contribute and get some made for myself as Ive spoke to Rally Design and think this will be the best option.

Although they say they will be developing a kit for the 1*2 next year