ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to wash this off?

Fiesta STripes
Still probably got 1000 miles to do round here (Scotland, see my "Length of Britain" thread :p), but she needs a bloody good seeing to, this is how caked the back is (and the whole car) at the moment:

IMAG0890_zps488019e2.jpg

IMAG0889_zps6dd4a067.jpg

IMAG0888_zps73e8e2c1.jpg

IMAG0887_zps73f709d8.jpg

Probably best to use the jetwash first no? (then attack with steel wool; aka sponge, then the wash mit?)

Poor car, soooooo disgusting!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Snow foam.. Failing that Jet wash. Most looks like mud so should fly off no worries.

Clio 197
definitely jet wash it first before touching it with a wash mitt!

That is a good effort though ;)

Fiesta STripes
Its proper vile stuff - all grit and salt off the roads.

Even leaving it in the rain has washed a bit off, then as soon as you go anywhere, back on it goes.

Mind you, 1800 miles in a week and a bit so far!

If you jet wash it, spray the lance at an angle to the panel so you spray the dirt off rather than drive it into the paint and scratch the paintwork

RB Clio 182
Nice car mate ;)

That definitely needs snowfoaming 1st. If you havnt got any i would sling a few "very" soapy buckets of water over it then pressure wash off.

You cant attack that with a wash mitt without removing the dirt 1st imo.

Fiesta STripes
Grit guard purchased, gonna pressure wash it to death me thinks! Even the wheels (inside & out) are totally caked in crud!

Honda & VW
Snow foam is a bit over rated imo. I much prefer to use a grime remover like AF Citrus Power.

Some snow foam solutions are utter pap but others are worth their weight. Its been known for me to not even touch my work van for a couple of months. Simply jet, foam, jet, pack up!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
WTF, i always thought jet wash was big no no?

Hose would rinse that off no problem TBH.

Citrus Power, then pressure wash. It'll all come off (depending on how well the car is protected, anyway).

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Snow foam is a bit over rated imo. I much prefer to use a grime remover like AF Citrus Power.

+25

However, I used Avalanche on the MX-5 after Saturday (serious s**t) to soften the mud and it did a great job tbf, I then followed it up with citrus.

Fiesta STripes
Gotta LOL at all the suggestions above, when you see what I have done to wash her off.

We are in an incredibly exposed place in the middle of the Highlands of Scotland at the moment.

It is blowing a hooley out there at the moment, gusts of 60-70 mph and really heavy rain.

Parked her in the exposed part of the driveway with her arse into the wind and rain, and she's being washed the natural way, and it seems to be working too lol!

Not a 320d
Just gunna put this out there to mix things up a little.....

How about.....

Spray it down with APC like G101 first in a spray bottle and leave it to dwell. Then rinse with pressure washer.

Also Grit guards are the biggest waste of money since snowfoam. Two buckets is all thats needed and good shampoo plus silicone free sponge or wash mitt.

Christ all f**king mighty. Its not chemistry is it. You should have taken A Level Chemistry.............

Fiesta STripes
Just gunna put this out there to mix things up a little.....

How about.....

Spray it down with APC like G101 first in a spray bottle and leave it to dwell. Then rinse with pressure washer.

Also Grit guards are the biggest waste of money since snowfoam. Two buckets is all thats needed and good shampoo plus silicone free sponge or wash mitt.

Christ all f**king mighty. Its not chemistry is it. You should have taken A Level Chemistry.............

A good way to describe turning my car from a state of high entropy, to a state of low entropy, I will definitely being needing to do the inside too, it's vile, a form of the Conservation of Angular Momentum should do the trick (Dyson) :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You must have a bucket, some fairy or soap powder and a decent sized brush. 15 minutes at most.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
+25

However, I used Avalanche on the MX-5 after Saturday (serious s**t) to soften the mud and it did a great job tbf, I then followed it up with citrus.
Every time I've used one (tried a few) it just seems to do hardly anything. Although I'm yet to try Avalanche so I can't comment on that. I'll take your word :) Citrus is one of my favourite products at the moment, really impressed.

Does Avalanche strip waxes at all?

Megane R26
I wouldn't bother with a snow foam either - it won't shift that effectively. G101 is good at cleaning but its nasty stuff in reality so ensure its rinsed off thoroughly if you go down that route. I'd go with Citrus Power as suggested or something like Britemax Grimeout