ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to prepare tyre walls for tyre shine...?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
My usual method is to wash the tyre walls with a separate mitt to the bodywork and use regular diluted shampoo. Then rinsing and allowing to dry naturally. However I dried them with a clean towel the other week and found black deposits on the towel. I'm unsure if this was dirt or not. Possibly this could be the cause of why the tyre shine doesn't last too long.

suggestions on the best prep for this job?

Thanks.:)

Abarth 500
I usually use degreaser and work it in with a brush mate, that is generally the best method. What you find on the towel is more likely leftover tyre dressing residue..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need a good apc and a nice detailing brush mate. Have a look at some of my detailing threads or Russ' to see how to clean the side walls.

I find Autosmart G101 hard to beat for any apc duties. It'll get everything well off. Always leave to air dry though if you can.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tyres need to be bone dry before applying dressing. The slightest bit of moisture between the dressing and the tyre will mean the dressing will just fling itself off as soon as you drive off.

182cup & 172 racecar
fat-fingers.png

Clio 197
I have always cleaned my wheels & tyres last with the remainder of my WASH bucket (not rinse) contents, left to air dry then applied the tyre shine.

The black will be old tyre shine on there - i dont think thats an issue as long as you reapply when totally dry - might be wrong though

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I tend to scrub them with a couple of different brushes and an APC solution, then wash down with shampoo and an old microfibre. Air dry and then apply. I only do this every four or five washes and just top up in between when they have dried after washing

De-grease then once the cars dry I take it for a spin round the block to warm up the tyres, then back to dress when there bone dry and warm. Best method for me.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Totally forgot to mention a stiff scrubbing brush. Some sort of dish one or anything will do.