ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to hide TV cables?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at wall mounting the TV (42" Samsung LED F5000 jobby), whats the best practice for hiding the wires? What facias if any do people use to tidy up the holes? Links and pictures would be awesome.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Chase them in the wall, if you're mounting out the chimney breast cut out a little alcove for the DVD players etc and run the cable up in the breast it if you have a unit or shells to the side of the breast drill through the side.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
IMG_20141115_155153.jpg

IMG_20141115_163507.jpg

IMG_20150214_131438.jpg

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
my wall was plasterboard, so i created some boxes and mounted them inside the wall itself. Even made one for the phone socket, router etc.. with a wine rack (the girlfriend wanted it, despite it being MY flat) I then ripped off my skirting boards and made speaker terminals in every corner of the room for my surround sound. No cables FTW.

DE471DB4-96CA-4175-A9C9-1F5D42121C2D_zpskbmnuxir.gif

929C5B88-4F30-4C7E-8DD7-B87C1696672A_zpsfbydfdu5.gif

IMG_0077_zpstzwnvqes.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
What if you want to add any new devices etc.. in the future? can you still feed new cables through?
Nope. Just plug everything into my AV receiver and then that feeds it up to the TV. Shouldn't be an issue in theory

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
^^ IMO if you are going to put a tv on a wall. then cables need hiding properly and trunking on the wall is the pikey option.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I find less is more, I walk hung the TV, chased out for Internet, power and sky/freeview, have a cyclone micro USB player..

When you look you see nothing but my 46" TV...

Well, that was until I stuck the ps4 under it on a small shelf, but that's being removed because I use a gaming monitor now like a true gaming warrior.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Did the same as people above, chased the latest HDMI and center speaker into the wall and then had a power socket dug into the wall too. some power sockets will stick out too much once you have the power plugged in and you have a really slim wall mount to watch out for that.

I then use an AV receiver to feed all my s**t into - xbox , virgin etc.

here is a pic
XjpniGD.jpg

The cabinet on the left houses all the stuff so it is all out of the way. Its thermostatically cooled with fans that kick in at certain temps.

A4 Avant & A3
^^ IMO if you are going to put a tv on a wall. then cables need hiding properly and trunking on the wall is the pikey option.

For what it's worth, the trunking was chased into the wall before I had my lounge re-skimmed, so no cables/trunking on show.
Agree, trunking stuck on the wall isn't to my taste either.

A4 Avant & A3
The cabinet on the left houses all the stuff so it is all out of the way. Its thermostatically cooled with fans that kick in at certain temps.

That looks smart, nice idea with the kit in a cabinet away from TV, I've got floating cabinets a few inches under the TV with wii/bluray etc..

Have you any details on the fans for your cabinet, I have a xbox one in a cabinet away from the TV but end up leaving the door open when it's in use, so thermostatically controller fans would be ideal, providing I can vent it I suppose..

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
That looks smart, nice idea with the kit in a cabinet away from TV, I've got floating cabinets a few inches under the TV with wii/bluray etc..

Have you any details on the fans for your cabinet, I have a xbox one in a cabinet away from the TV but end up leaving the door open when it's in use, so thermostatically controller fans would be ideal, providing I can vent it I suppose..

Me too - I used to leave my cabinet doors open slightly but now the little un's around i can't do it!

A fake chimney breast was done in one room of our house a couple of years ago, the block between the tv and speaker has a shelf inside and can be accessed (just!) through a brushed double plate at the left side. Rest of the cables run around the room unto a cupboard where everything is out of sight. The PS4 works without line of sight and the SkyHD uses a magic eye for the controls.
Slightly annoying that its time for a TV upgrade and the gap was measured for the 42" TV that is in the picture. I can actually get a 47" in there now as the borders are so thin but i need to find one with decent dimensions so that there is a nice even gap all the way around still.

19744506085_4b435f8caa_c.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

@Daz. @Norris_309
here is what you need:
fan controller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PNL0F4/?tag=cliospnet01-21

bracket to mount it (optional)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Y1WC7M/?tag=cliospnet01-21

power supply
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MGG6SC/?tag=cliospnet01-21

up to 4x 12cm silent pc fans. Dont get smaller ones as they are more noisy, try and get quiet ones.

a 12 cm hole saw to cut neat holes for the fans at the back of the cabinet.

I use 2 fans that exhaust the heat at the rear near the top of the cabinet. I also have 2 inlet fans at the bottom but only use these in the summer , rest of the year its just exhaust fans. I set the fans to kick in at 35'C and go off at 29'C . I have the heat probe near my AV receiver as I care most about that. It works really well and is really quiet. I can now just leave the cabinet and not worry about any heat build up. Glass fronted too so all infrared works and you can see the displays of the boxes inside.

If you look on my pic and then click it to enlarge it you can see in the top right a blue lcd that says 31 - that is the controller.

hope that helps. you might be able to find the stuff cheaper if you look around.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^^ ooft zooming in just shows how messy those cables are :)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
lol that would drive me mad. But i'm a tad OCD when it comes to wires.