ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best way to drive to save petrol

monaco 172
Well got my 182 and love it but it does drink its fair share of petrol.

How do you guys drive to get best mpg?

On motorways if i set cc to about 60 i can get almost 40mpg but as soon as i get on the streets its really low.

When is the best speed to go into 5th as somebody told me changing up too early will also decrease mpg as does revving it too hard.

I usually change up at about 2500rpm from each gear.

Dodgy one
What do you call really low, Mine averages 32ish, But i have seen as high as 50 on the motorway sat at 50mph loaded up with two bikes on the roof, I couldnt believe it but thats what it said, Over that tank it averaged 42mpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I work mine out using a iPhone app, I get 32.66 average over the last 2807 miles, best is 37, worst is 29.
Oddly though, if i fill my tank up when it's only half empty I get a better mpg n

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Lol-no offence, but why did you buy a 2.0l if you're going to be such a pikey over fuel?

Maybe you ought to consider just selling it & buying a 1 point 2 or a dci instead, i hear theyre petty economical :cool:

Try owning a ph3 RS - your 182 will appear frugal in comparison.

If it's returning really low figures (sub 30) when pooteling around it may have a small management related fault such as a lambda or air temp sensor, but that would also effect the motorway MPG which seems fine.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I reset the trip computer when I fill up and try to get a lower score.

IMG_0134.jpg

Mountune Tractor
Lol-no offence, but why did you buy a 2.0l if you're going to be such a pikey over fuel?

Maybe you ought to consider just selling it & buying a 1 point 2 or a dci instead, i hear theyre petty economical :cool:

This

oh just suck it up or buy a diesel. It's a performance car, they make power, this takes fuel.

This

I reset the trip computer when I fill up and try to get a lower score.

IMG_0134.jpg

Hero

I sell it, and get a frugal diesel.

This

ITB BG 182
IF your getting s**t MPG you might need to get the car checked over, one of the lambda sensors could be on its way out, i get 38.5mpg on ITB's doing 70mph on the motorway and 28-32mpg around town.
My car before it was upgraded only did 29mpg around town and 37mpg on the motorway or 41mpg at 60 on the b roads. But then i had a melted wire for one of the lambda's.

PS 200
turn the engine off down hills

Get some one to tow you, you'll get 99.9mpg showing then.

You're both wrong.

Drive in reverse and the car gives you fuel back :star:

On a more serious note - lose all weight that aint neccessary and turn everything off in the car that you can live without - Cruise, A/c , Stereo.

Leave all windows up all the time.

Drive like your grannie.

If the boredom doesn't kill you - heat exhaustion probably will ;)

Alternatively - chop it in for a diesel - things are going to get much worse before they get better fuel price wise :(

ITB BG 182
Realistically you dont buy some thing thats called a 'Sport' and want it to be 'Bluemotion' friendly on fuel.

Iceberg 172
You're both wrong.

Drive in reverse and the car gives you fuel back :star:

FPMSL!

I think one of my sensors must be fucked or I have a really heavy foot as I'm lucky to get 28mpg on my everyday drive!

Or you lot must drive like fairy's to get 35mpg!

My car seems to go quite well or so the new shape S3 owner this morning thought! Lol.

DMS

A thirsty 172
f**k sake. You buy a performance car and then moan when it uses any petrol. Kind of against the point of owning it if you ask me.
Trade it in for a push bike if it matters that much, you won't use any petrol at all then.

Clio 182FF
I get around 32mpg with driving normally and having a bit of fun too. Don't think that's too bad, but sometimes I wish the fuel tank was bigger!

Fabia vrs tdi
I get 200 miles from £50 v power, change gear just before the limiter all city driving. Will be doing a 200 mile motorway trip on Wednesday the trip comp usually says 37mpg but I'll work it out properly.

Does the cruise control really make much of a difference I would have thought it would better your mpg as long as you didn't touch it just did 70mph all the way

If you want to save petrol, sell up and buy a diesel, you won't use any petrol then.

Why would you buy a 182 and then start moaning about fuel consumption? The 182 is actually pretty good on fuel for what it is. I used to get 32mpg average most of the time.

Fabia vrs tdi
I'm selling my 182 for a diesel, I constantly moan about the mpg but I didn't buy it to drive it slow - what's the point.