ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Tyres?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Without commenting on value for money,

what are the best tyres to go for??

on a modded valver that does mainly country road blasts,

looking at contisport 2's, but at £370 for a set, i thought id do some shopping first,
so what can people recommend? spending <£100 per corner?

thanks
alex

Iceberg 172
I'm stuck between the Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and the Hankkook RS2's... both are about the same money, both a silly soft, both are superb in the dry, I think the Hankooks are better on track, but I'll never go on track.

I'm ashamed to admit this but the Yoke's look fecking cool too so I'm gonna get them.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i was looking at the yoko's,
but i dont mean to sound too arrogant, but atm, my budget can go abit further, and id like to take advanage of that!!

has nobody else got an opinion on this?

GB 182 FF
imho yoko tyres are utter crap (aside from A021's, 32's and 48's), particularly in the wet :(

Hankook RS-2's would be the ideal mix of uber dry grip and good wet grip (along with great wear rates).
For better value you could goto Kumho KU31's which gets you most of the RS-2 stuff but for sod all money lol.

For road use anything in a semi slick is a total waste as you will have to get to some scary ass speeds to make use of them, at which point you are driving like a prize cnut..

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ive had Sdrives in the past, and wasnt overly impressed with them,
not as much as i was with the contisports.

im going to have a look at the hankooks and rainsports, but its so hard to find people actually running the tyres! :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
hankook rs2 look very impressive!

on speedline vegas (standard valver wheels 6.5J) can/should i go for 195/50/15 or 205/50/15??

does it warrant paying the extra £25 per tyre for the 205?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
could people state their opinion on various tyres? rather than just state what tyres they use!
not just state what tyres they use! that doesnt really help me as i dont intend to try them all!

and fubar, im looking for a bit more than "pretty good" lol,

closer inspection of the hankook rs2 implies you need to keep heat in them to optimise performance.

uniroyal rainsport 2s look very good also, futher research may need to be done!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Hankook V12. Best road tyre I've used. Sadly they are no longer a cheap secret, constantly sold out:(.

T1R's are cack. Soft sidewall, don't last well, poor in the wet. Wouldn't fit them if they were free.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
T1r's?

Cheap for a reason!

I don't care what anyone says, buying cheap tyres then buying silvervisions/caliper paint/lowering springs in the same week should result in your car being removed from your possesion.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
This. Can't really complain.. at all? For that price. Put them on, destroy them, get some more.

That is 15's though. From the price on the OP I'm guessing your buying for 16's.

please read my first post! i dont want comments on "value for money", im going to splash out on tyres this time, so im not bothered about saving a few bob buying cheaper tyres. and its not about buy cheap, then replace, its about having tyres that arnt going to let you down when you need them the most.

T1r's?

Cheap for a reason!

I don't care what anyone says, buying cheap tyres then buying silvervisions/caliper paint/lowering springs in the same week should result in your car being removed from your possesion.

much like people buying coilovers, and other suspension mods, then buying cheap tyres!
tyres are the best chassis mod possible imo,

hence why im trying to find out whats good!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
  DCi 100
Shag all wrong with T1R's IMO. Yes I hated the 16" set I had, but the 15's are great, can't complain for a second.

ITB'd MK1
I love my T1Rs. second set i'm using now, and I'm normally a Bridgestone man

Tyres are subjective at the end of the day, I actually prefer a bit of sidewall compliance, but not eveyrone does

BG PH1 Megane 225
Just going to throw in another vote for the Khumo KU31's, they've been every bit as good as the Continentals I had on previously (they did have 4-5mm on tread however)....I was seriously impressed once mine had scrubbed in :approve: they can get a little slippery in the wet though, mainly when accelerating a little harshly from lights etc :eek: they're great tyres and from reading various threads, they do get abused just because of the name, I went based on Fubar's experience with them and tyre reviews. I certainly don't regret it!

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
It's strange how some people get hung up on tyres (it's the last thing adhering you to the road and stopping you from going into the hedge etc) and some people are the opposite, are reluctant to pay out for them even though it's a given that you are going to have to replace tyres regularly!

I'm somewhere in the middle to be honest, when I had my ZS180 it came with Pilot Sport 2's but at the time they were around £150 each so I opted for Hancook - they lasted for 10000 miles less and had a little less grip in the wet but I quickly found that out so you adjust your driving style to suit. The upshot was that it cost me £200 for the set instead of £600!

At the moment I've got a make I've not even heard of on the back of the Clio and the same hancook as mentioned above on the front, and they're fine. I've had really cheap makes on other cars, Federal SS - seemed fine to me.

Bloke at work runs KU31's on his Elise and has done a couple of trackdays and a trip to the nurburgring on them, says they're still fine and good even compared with the OE tyres. They seem to get good reviews yet are really cheap.

What I'm trying to say is, it's so subjective - some people swear by their KU31's or even Nankang NS2 (I knew someone with an E36 M3 with those on!) where as other people wouldn't settle for less than a Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, continental and the like, but are they really seeing the benefits if there are any? I'll be going for something like KU31s when I change mine, I've tried expensive tyres and cheap tyres and it's difficult to tell the difference in my experience, or if you can, it's not £300 worth of difference every year.

I nearly always get my tyres from camskill, I have known them from when they first set up dealing in Daihatsu Charade GTti parts. 99% of the time I have found them to be the cheapest option.

What I love about these little 195/50/15's is that it's a really common size and small so they are cheap as chips! My Dad's BMW has 255/30/19 run flats on the back, can only get bridgestone or goodyear, £260 each - and it's only a 320i !!!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
as far as im concerned, its stupid doing any suspension mods before upgrading your tyres,

i have a set of semi budget on the back of my car, and i can really feel the difference, i hate not having tyres you can trust.

these KU31s sound quite good, but is it really worth getting them over pilot exaltos at £50 a corner?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
hankook rs-2. solid sidewall, good on road and track days. cheaper than most performance tyres also

Clio 172
Ive had PE2's and Pzero Neros on the clio and prefer the PZero's, feels to have more grip than the pe2's did and I get along with them better. All personal choice. On the saxo I had a set of falkens for road use and they werent as good as the pzero's or PE2's but were nice and predictable.

There was a link on here to a recent tyre test by Autocar I think it was - good read but would need a bit of searching

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Interesting read this. And from what ive read i will be going for the rainsport 2. And at £36 each inc vat seems a bargain to me

Dan

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
If you can really feel the difference, then at this size you might as well get what you like for the difference in price. I did a trackday in July and the instructor there recommended the rainsport 2's too, had them on his Porsche 944 turbo or something.

Sound good.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
hankook rs-2. solid sidewall, good on road and track days. cheaper than most performance tyres also

are they not basically a road legal track tyre like the r888?
i dont really want to worry about trying to keep heat in the tyres and such to make them grip!

so its down to
Contisports
PE2
KU31
rainsport 2s

Personally, they're the thing that sticks you to the road. So willing to spend what ever is required.

Just put two ContiSport Contact 3s on the front of the Panzer. The difference in grip is truly incredible. They also have a rim protector which is a bonus. But 225/45/17s are 109+VAT fitted each. So not exactly cheap.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Personally, they're the thing that sticks you to the road. So willing to spend what ever is required.

Just put two ContiSport Contact 3s on the front of the Panzer. The difference in grip is truly incredible. They also have a rim protector which is a bonus. But 225/45/17s are 109+VAT fitted each. So not exactly cheap.
Would you not rather nangkangs and some silvervisions?

Clio 172 PH1, Mini
Get Yokohama Parada Spec 2's great in the dry but the only things they are not so great in the wet. Saying that they are a good all round tyre for the money. £32 a corner.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
People must drive mental in the wet to experience the Yoko's being bad! Epic soft dry tyre.

I mean no matter what car you drive you can only go so quick in the wet.

Evo 5 RS
I've had no problem with the spec 2's at all. Good traction in the dry and ...moderate damp? Good value. Although after the first 1,000 miles or so the compound is a bit more shabby I find. Still, can't moan for £30 a corner