ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best tyre weld?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Thinking of taking my spare wheel out and getting a can of tyre weld. Is this a stupid idea?

Clio 182 FF
AA Terms & Conditions:
AA service and/or cover does not include the following:
d. any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel(s) or tyre(s), except where this is not provided as manufacturers standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Just weight saving really, never had to use the spare wheel in a year so thought why not. Haven't done it yet though :)

It's a bit like going out without a coat then it chucks it down.

I'd just leave it there mate. You won't really notice any difference. I tried taking my rear seats out and spare wheel to see if it made it any faster in my old car, safe to say I didn't notice any difference.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Its not about going any faster, its about not dragging around as much weight. Saving fuel etc. Who mentioned anything about weight saving for performance?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much every single Renaultsport Clio sold in the last 10 years has come without a spare wheel.

I don't get the hate for the idea myself. If the majority of Clio owners are happy to roll without, why is the OP being given such a hard time at the mere suggestion?

Retarded CS logic. 'We all do it, but you're a f***ing idiot if you do it'.

LOL

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Difference is that the OP already has a spare wheel. Taking it out and replacing it with a vastly inferior product doesn't make any sense at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dislike the fact that the 182 hasnt got a spare wheel well, especially as the only reason is so it can have a ridiculous looking wheelbarrow inspired exhuast.

I'd never take a spare wheel out if I had one unless it was on a totally stripped out trackday car, the weight saving isnt even the same as half a tank of fuel.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Difference is that the OP already has a spare wheel. Taking it out and replacing it with a vastly inferior product doesn't make any sense at all.

It's his choice though isn't it?

And after he's done it, he'll be in no worse of a position than every RS Clio owner on here...who I'm sure quite happily roll around day after day, mile after mile, year after year without issue.

I know over the 10 years and 155k miles I covered in spare-wheel-less RS Clios I never had a problem with it.

And after he's done it, he'll be in no worse of a position than every RS Clio owner on here...who I'm sure quite happily roll around day after day, mile after mile, year after year without issue.

I know over the 10 years and 155k miles I covered in spare-wheel-less RS Clios I never had a problem with it.

Yes - but if you have a spare wheel already, why would you remove it for little or no gain?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Freedom of choice.

There's far more ludicrous unfathomable things written about on here and done to cars (that get an alomost universal thumbs up) than simply replacing a spare wheel with a can of tyre weld.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate

Apart from the fact the likes of the AA/RAC won't cover him the same as an RS that didn't have a spare wheel in from factory.

182cup & 172 racecar
I went the other way, got myself a space saver in the boot, fk me, it slows me down and I only get 20mpg.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Aesthetically they are more pleasing whilst having little to no effect on the performance of the bulb..

My argument rests

LOL

In your opinion they are better looking. Also, in your opinion the cost of replacing something that works perfectly well and doesn't need replacing is worthwhile for what you think are better aesthetics.

All your opinion. All your choice. But it makes no sense to me.

So very very similar to swapping a spare wheel for tyre weld which makes no sense at all to you.

LOL

In your opinion they are better looking. Also, in your opinion the cost of replacing something that works perfectly well and doesn't need replacing is worthwhile for what you think are better aesthetics.

All your opinion. All your choice. But it makes no sense to me.

So very very similar to swapping a spare wheel for tyre weld which makes no sense at all to you.

It's not even close?!

The choice between replacing a bulb (for a similar functioning one) and removing a spare wheel for nominal gains isn't a similar choice.

Logically it makes no sense

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's not even close?!

The choice between replacing a bulb (for a similar functioning one) and removing a spare wheel for nominal gains isn't a similar choice.

Logically it makes no sense

Logically, it makes as much sense for the marginal gain in mpg and performance it will give, as spending cold hard cash on bulbs that don't need replacing because you think they look a bit better/so that you'll fit in with the masses.

Back on topic, to the OP, no it's not stupid, it's your decision. Do whatever you want...just be prepared for the CS backlash if for some reason it's not deemed acceptable.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I always have a spare wheel in my car now after I brought my 182 in 2004 it was new not to have a spare, I did not think anything of it as Renault had given me 2 cans of foam to cope with punchers .
so I went to go and watch a rally and on the way there hit a pothole in the middle of nowhere and split the sidewall of my tyre so I had to sit by the side of the road and wait for the AA but they sent a local garage and he took my car home on a low loader and damaged my wheel strapping it down and I never seen the rally.
if I had a spare I would have been 10 mins later, and just needed a new tyre.

sorry to go on

PB Clio 172
I believe that they won't cover you if you have removed your spare wheel.

this is such a grey area not sure this is true at all

to the op- I got 2 cans off e bay as I don't carry a spare hope I never have to use them TBH

Last edited: