ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Standard Shocks?

Hi folks,

I'm putting my car back to standard, at the moment it has Apex springs and standard shocks on, I assume it doesn't have the cup suspension pack but will investigate tomorrow. Whilst I'm changing the springs I would like to do the shocks,am I best going for genuine renault originals at I assume probably strong money,or is there an aftermarket oem spec alternative that people can recommend. For example on my old gti6 the Bilstein B4 shocks were supposedly OEM spec but cheaper.

Cheers.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep get those. I have standard shocks with apex springs on the cup, handles great. Not as good as the other car, but that's on b14's lol

Ah ok, thats bloody cheap for OEM!Renault Wolverhampton my best bet then? I'd consider a change to the cup spec shocks but from my admittedly short amount of reading on the matter I believe I'd have to change drive shafts and wishbones and all sorts? Who knows I may well have the cup suspension anyway, I'll measure up tomorrow.

So Cup shocks go straight onto a non cup 182? I've done some brief reading but I have also had some brief beers and thus my ability to fathom what shocks I can or can't fit is severely hampered.

Ex 182 owner
Hi mate,
I would bet you have non cup shocks spacing at 54mm. Your car has the none cup silver wheels which is unusual as most, even if refurbed go darker. It's worth checking. As said. Shocks are cheap. Renault springs are not.

Options are non cup 182 front shocks or 172 cup front shocks which are stiffer but designed for a lighter car.
Rears can be 182 non cup or 182 cup( if you plan on lowering might be better).

Springs.. Eibach prolines (black ones) are a mild stiffen and mild drop. Bit like going from 182 non cup to 182 cup. Probably a good compromise if your sticking with non cup shocks.
S/h 182 cup springs are easy to get hold off.

All the best with it