ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best place to source Supretech Valves?

Don't change them on those cam's IMO I've run standards on those cam's for 2 years and it spends all its time between 5-8k rpm and not had any failures. I'm just worried about uprated springs after seeing a failure on a set of Catcams springs. Will think very carefully before I buy valve springs for an engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No point over springing the valvetrain, just increases parasitic losses and camlobe wear and gains you nothing.

You want the minimum spring that still properly controls the valve really, which in the case of 421s I believe is the standard spring.

Cool, If it's good enough for you James it's more than good enough for me lol!!!

Thanks chaps.

Still on the hunt for the best place for valves though..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you know a couple of people after them then buying from the states is a good option, but the postage is 100 dollars so not so great for just one set.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They used to come with a stainless steel inlets and exhaust valves or stainless steel inlets and inconel exhaust valves but they stopped doing the stainless steel exhaust valves as they where no good for turbo engines so all that you can get now is the stainless inlets and inconel exhaust which is better.

Im sure Fred, ktec and Paul @ RS Tuning are more expensive tbh.

They used to come with a stainless steel inlets and exhaust valves or stainless steel inlets and inconel exhaust valves but they stopped doing the stainless steel exhaust valves as they where no good for turbo engines so all that you can get now is the stainless inlets and inconel exhaust which is better.

Im sure Fred, ktec and Paul @ RS Tuning are more expensive tbh.

What's iconel?

So there's only one option now anyway, and that's the best?

Cheers.

Will order these as soon as possible :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
What's iconel?

So there's only one option now anyway, and that's the best?

Cheers.

Will order these as soon as possible :)

Its a coating i belive that allowes the valve to run at higher temps which boosted engines do.

Yes its better than stainless, i will be getting a set once im ready to have my head ported and my 421s fitted.

You wont have the problems with the exhaust valve dropping. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Inconel is a super alloy that can work reliably at temperatures from cryogenic upto about 1000 degrees C.

Its a great material for exhaust valves, although the supertech ones are two piece which is a slight weakness, but they are joined in a more sensible place for performance than a standard valve (further up the stem)

Its a coating i belive that allowes the valve to run at higher temps which boosted engines do.

Yes its better than stainless, i will be getting a set once im ready to have my head ported and my 421s fitted.

You wont have the problems with the exhaust valve dropping. :)

Cool thanks, guess it's over kill for intake valves then..

Inconel is a super alloy that can work reliably at temperatures from cryogenic upto about 1000 degrees C.

Its a great material for exhaust valves, although the supertech ones are two piece which is a slight weakness, but they are joined in a more sensible place for performance than a standard valve (further up the stem)

I thought Supertech valves were one piece???

Thought that was the main point in them lol :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I thought Supertech valves were one piece???

It seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding that keeps getting repeated in the clio world:

Seems to originate from Ktec and 519 just not really knowing much about these valves and wrongly thinking (and hence telling others) that they were one piece for the exhaust valves when they arent.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?631853-New-Valves

And then I guess others have just repeated after hearing it from those guys.

Thought that was the main point in them lol :(

The main points are better material specs, and a join in a place which is exposed to less heat.

One piece would be superior, but also a lot more expensive (as in about 3 times as much)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No point over springing the valvetrain, just increases parasitic losses and camlobe wear and gains you nothing.

You want the minimum spring that still properly controls the valve really, which in the case of 421s I believe is the standard spring.

As Chip said.

The 421 is on the limits of the standard springs.

For cams bigger than 421 where you need uprated springs, rather than get Cat or Supertech you could fit the 197/200 valve springs as long as they are within the spec required by the cams.

I'll be sticking with the 438/421s so won't be changing any springs unless I really have to.

Think the chap from Russia with the RS2 had some CatCam springs fail in his engine iirc :S

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As Chip said.

The 421 is on the limits of the standard springs.

For cams bigger than 421 where you need uprated springs, rather than get Cat or Supertech you could fit the 197/200 valve springs as long as they are within the spec required by the cams.

Are the 197 springs actually different, Ive not seen specs of the two to compare.

Ive got 197 springs in my turbo, but only cause it just happened to work out that those were to hand, I wasnt aware at the time of a difference.

Is a Ph1 head a direct replacement for a 182 head? Or is there lots of work to do?

Worth the effort of sourcing and changing over whilst I'm at it?

Or just spend a bit extra and aim to get some headwork done on mine?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ph1 head has bigger exhaust ports, but im not convinced that gives any benefit when the inlets are still standard TBH.
197 head is the other way around and has enlarged inlets.

I'd just get a Neil Roper ported head from MWM if I were you TBH mate, thats the ideal option.

Ph1 head can be used but the bit where the oil strainer is and carbon takeoff etc is slightly different, if you are on bodies or an RS2 though, that wont matter as it just effects the standard inlet fitting, can be done still though .

Jenveys anyway so wouldn't matter to me then...

Never heard Mike mention ported heads, I'll give him a text now and ask.

I'm assuming it's big money though! In which case it would have to wait a while lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surprisingly affordable considering the standard of the work mate.

Costs can go up if it needs guides or seats etc, but if its just a port job its cheaper than a set of cams.

The gains on 421 are likely to be minimal though, ported heads are more important on hotter cams, will still help a bit though.

The gains on 421 are likely to be minimal though, ported heads are more important on hotter cams, will still help a bit though.

You reckon... might not be worth doing then for me.

From that link I now know Tony has had some head work done, so I'm assuming James probably has too.

I'll have a word with Mike.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Chip, do you know vaguely how much the headwork is from Neil?
are we talking up towards the same costs of a Sheady head for the YB engines?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best to drop Mike a Txt Kelv, I dont want to "quote" on his behalf, but like I said, should be less than say a set of catcams for example.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If you fancy getting a quote on some valves from the US I'd be interested as well...

dci clio track toy..
Alsop engineering . Thats were I got my valves had them in stock and im sure got them within 2 days for under £300 . I only got mine a few months ago after valve failure at fcs