ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Lenses

Megane
Hi all,

Looking at getting an EOS 500D soon for a holiday.

I have looked at the lens guide etc but I wanted to know what are the best lenses for the Canon cameras?

I am going to be taking loads of street shots, landscape shots and general holiday snaps.

The 50mm Canon on Amazon seems popular
I think something with a high zoom like 2/300mm will be good
What do you think about getting a 10mm lens?

Thanks all, I want the best value for money lenses that you would call must haves. :D

Ian

Focus TDCi
i would get the sigma 10 -20mm
the canon 50mm f1.8
and a canon 70-200mm f4 L series lens

Good list. That's pretty much what I'm aiming for and what I would recommend. I might get something like the Canon EF 17-40mm F/4 L as well, but I'd go for the three James has listed first.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Tbh, if you don't want to spend your life savings then I'd go for something like the kit lens and the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro lens. They would cover a nice range and the Sigma is meant to be a good lens, especially for the price. Or maybe only buy the body and put the money you save from not getting the kit lens towards something else?

If your learning and on a tight budget get the 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS combo. Should be a great start for holiday snaps, then add the 50mm f/1.8, teaches you a lot about big aperture lenses.

If the 18-55 IS isn't wide enough on your travels learn to photo stitch before you go. You don't need to spend buckets starting out.

If you do though, get the:
EF-s 10-22
17-55 f/2.8 IS
70-200 F/4 IS
:p

If your learning and on a tight budget get the 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS combo. Should be a great start for holiday snaps, then add the 50mm f/1.8, teaches you a lot about big aperture lenses.

If the 18-55 IS isn't wide enough on your travels learn to photo stitch before you go. You don't need to spend buckets starting out.

EF-s 10-22
17-55 f/2.8 IS
70-200 F/4 IS

Nice list Pete.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is also a fantastic lens for the crop cameras, equivalent or thereabouts to 50mm on a full frame. Although again, not if you're on a budget.

dk

911 GTS Cab

EF-s 10-22
17-55 f/2.8 IS
70-200 F/4 IS
pretty much what I roll with except my 70-200 doesn't have IS, not that I have ever missed it on that lens, its so bloody fast and sharp i never get anything less than perfect shots form it, its a beginners dream really! (especially for the price)

All the pics in my vegas thread were taken with the 17-55 f2.8 IS and the 10-22 (canyon shots were all using this) lens, didn't get the 70-200 out once this trip, wish i hadn't have taken it.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=421952

Megane
pretty much what I roll with except my 70-200 doesn't have IS, not that I have ever missed it on that lens, its so bloody fast and sharp i never get anything less than perfect shots form it, its a beginners dream really! (especially for the price)

All the pics in my vegas thread were taken with the 17-55 f2.8 IS and the 10-22 (canyon shots were all using this) lens, didn't get the 70-200 out once this trip, wish i hadn't have taken it.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=421952

To be honest it is your pictures that have inspired me even more to invest in a 10mm lens because to be frank those canyon shots are amazing!

I will definitely need a 10mm, maybe the 50mm and the 17-55?

dk

911 GTS Cab
To be honest it is your pictures that have inspired me even more to invest in a 10mm lens because to be frank those canyon shots are amazing!

I will definitely need a 10mm, maybe the 50mm and the 17-55?
unfortunately the 10mm does come at a price, the canon one anyway.

I looked at both the canon and the sigma and while the sigma is a lot cheaper I kept seeing reveiws on how good the canon was a how little distortion it has at 10mm, thats what drew me to get it and i'm not disappointed. Most of the shots were taken at 10mm and i see very little distortion (not that its easy to see with random rock patterns anyway) but I also got very little when shooting with it in chicago with the buildings, you have to careful at which angle you use it though, really needs to be kept horizontal to keep distortion to a minimum.

A lot of people on here swear by the sigma too, although i have heard its very hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or not, some real dodgy ones out there too.

So its really down to your budget I guess.

As for the 17-55, its my most expensive lens because of its low light capabilities, f2.8 throughout is great, especially if you don't want to be using a big flash, until recently i hadn't even used my flash, and when i did i realised why i like to use the fast lens instead! As said though, its bloody expensive, maybe something to save up for etc as you just want to be using the kit lens to learn at the beginning seeing as it has the same range. (don't forget the kit 18-55 is VERY different to the 17-55 we are talking about here!)

As for the 50mm, i've had one for a while, used it once or twice, its a difficult lens to work i think, very little room for error but the results are stunning when you get them right, i have just got a macro filter for it so i really must use it more and give it a go, its been very much neglected, and its a stunning lens for the price!

500d sounds nice too, i have the 50d which is its big brother, but the 500d seems to have most of the features and have video too (something I think is a flash in the pan personally on these types of cameras, lots of fuss was made when the d90 came out, have we really seen anyone use it properly yet, not really!)

Megane
What are the main differences between the 18-55 kit and the 17-55 other than aperture?

I have an 18-55 with the EOS 350D now
I think for the price I will have to get the Sigma 10-20mm and it gives you some zoom too which is handy
Fancy selling your 50mm??

dk

911 GTS Cab
What are the main differences between the 18-55 kit and the 17-55 other than aperture?

I have an 18-55 with the EOS 350D now
I think for the price I will have to get the Sigma 10-20mm and it gives you some zoom too which is handy
Fancy selling your 50mm??
pretty much the constant 2.8, this is a great weapon for an all round lens, its just so good in low light conditions. It also has a very good image quality. Its been said that its a lens which should have the L branding as its good enough to be in that group.

I came from a 350d too, the camera will be a good upgrade,the screen on the back is sooooooo much better as is the low light iso shooting, shooting at 1600 has never been so good.

As for selling the 50mm, sorry, as said, i need to use it more, its definitely something I want in my arsenal and I could sell it for more than i paid for it at the moment anyway as i got it when prices were cheaper so you'd be better off getting it from somewhere like warehouseexpress.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sigma 10-20mm is awesome .. for shots like this (found here):

3497299060_b99162ec62.png

and...

3479889384_7b5545f406.jpg

Canon 55-250 IS is also amazing for the price ! Mine is very sharp. Quite light .. and takes cracking photos ...

3531877924_0c3173d1f2.jpg

... like that, even at full power :)

50mm is next on my hitlist...

Not sure the F1.4 is worth 4x that of the F1.8 ??!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sigma 10-20mm is awesome .. for shots like this (found here):

3497299060_b99162ec62.png

and...

3479889384_7b5545f406.jpg

Canon 55-250 IS is also amazing for the price ! Mine is very sharp. Quite light .. and takes cracking photos ...

3531877924_0c3173d1f2.jpg

... like that, even at full power :)

50mm is next on my hitlist...

Not sure the F1.4 is worth 4x that of the F1.8 ??!
personally i would say the 1.8 is good value for money, the 1.4 is something to work towards.