ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best coilovers for racing

I am considering reacing the 182 in a local wheel to wheel racing series.

I was wondering which are the best coilovers for the 182. I would like to have rear spring-on-shock setup which will make getting different spring rates easier.

What are my choices? besides the rsport cup racer setup?

Thank you in advance.

megan R26.R number 006
kw v2 race coilovers they are not cheep but kw have won loads of races .
or bilstein they do some very very good coilovers but for a race car they would need to be either Clio cup coilovers or a custom made set

Lionel Richie
does depend on money too as Ben said, a pair of rear coilovers for a cup racer cost more than a full set of AST's to give you an idea

Max budget should be around 3000 pounds.

The problem with the cup racers' is that the front won't fit the original hubs.

As far as the AST do they have separate compression/rebound settings? Can't find much info on their website!

Also what brand cartdrige do they use in their shocks? That might be an issue when it comes to re-valving them

lift number 1 @ btm
AST manufacture their own cartridges, so revalving shouldn't be a problem.

AST do make two and three way adjustable sets, i'm not sure how the sets everyone on here have adjust.

i did look at the three way sets, from memory i'd say they were about £2800, but that was about three years ago

as above, with that budget it might be worth looking at ohlins, penske and nitron too.

My friend at ohlins said he would help me out, but a 3 way set would cost about £1500 a corner and I'd be supplying custom shortened ally cases.

They are the best, but when your asking for near btcc technology, your going to end up paying.

If your serious on racing and being at the front end, then it'll really depend on a few things. Firstly the class your running, if its mixed and what sort of setups the top 5 are running......no point spending 5k if they are spending 1.5k. The tyres being used, how rigid your going to make the shell (no point spending 1.5k a corner and having the shell deflect). Are you able to make use of the money spent on decent kit (skill).

Just a cost/reward ratio thing......will each successive £1k spent yeild a usable reduction in lap times.

Personally, if i were in a competitive class i'd be looking t 1k a corner minimum.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No point spending 1500 a corner if you cant drive, make sure you have the skill to use your existing kit before spending more imho :)

Better suspension wont take you from 10th on the grid to 1st ...

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Reiger's ones would be expensive but can be made to whatever spec you want.

Here's an example of price http://www.kamracing.co.uk/peugeot-...32/reiger-shocks-for-peugeot-206-wrc-234.html

AST ones will most likely be good enough for track use and are good value. with the KW V2's i would probably reccomend stiffer springs for track use. Leda are excellent I had my Peugeot 205 converted so I could run Leda gas filled coils with Eibach ERS springs and it went round corners like it was on rails.

Clio Sport '02
kw v2 race coilovers they are not cheep but kw have won loads of races .
or bilstein they do some very very good coilovers but for a race car they would need to be either Clio cup coilovers or a custom made set

have you tried this coilovers? Any feedback?

http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/drhowser/?action=view&current=DSC00054.jpg

i'd say the kw's are pretty good. they are a seperate spring and damper, but they use standard sized springs.

they also say they can supply almost any combination of length and poundage you want.

as per you pic you are currently using this set up? Any feedback on everyday use and track set up?

thanks

lift number 1 @ btm
hello sir, welcome to cliosport:D

i'm afraid that is not the v2 setup though. it is the competition stuff i have put the link up to in this thread.

the only specific diferences i can tell you about between the two are-

seperate rebound and compression adjustment.
this kit is built to order and valved and sprung to your requirements.
it costs somewhere around double the price of v2's

there will obviously be differences in quality, etc. but i know nothing about that.

driving wise, they are awesome on track, and have enough adjustment to almost make them comfortable on the road (i used them daily for over a year)
I can't comment on how they compare to h&r or ast as i have never used either.

hope that helps?

Clio Sport '02
hello sir, welcome to cliosport:D

i'm afraid that is not the v2 setup though. it is the competition stuff i have put the link up to in this thread.

the only specific diferences i can tell you about between the two are-

seperate rebound and compression adjustment.
this kit is built to order and valved and sprung to your requirements.
it costs somewhere around double the price of v2's

there will obviously be differences in quality, etc. but i know nothing about that.

driving wise, they are awesome on track, and have enough adjustment to almost make them comfortable on the road (i used them daily for over a year)
I can't comment on how they compare to h&r or ast as i have never used either.

hope that helps?

thank you for the warm regards!!!

OK, so I see you are not driving on V2's, you are a step above., and basically driving on a stiffer ride than V2's is this correct? If this is correct, and you are telling me that you used them everyday and was able to find a "confortable" ride, then I would have no problem finding a good compromise with V2, dring on street (bad roads), back roads, highways and tracks......

So far your info has helped me a lot!!!

The desicion factor of this is., to spend 1500 Euros!!! If I am to spend this amount of money I would expect to drive on ralis!!!!