ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Clio Model For Track Car

I am looking at buying a Clio Sport for a track car but I'm not 100% what to go for. Is there any certain models that are best suited for being turned into track cars? If so why?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
172 Cup. They had no aircon, ABS or traction control. Slightly more camber on the rear, some added caster on the front wishbones and came with a basic interior. Obviously demand a slightly higher premium for good condition examples though if you were on a tight budget

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
A ph2 172 is cheap as chips and readily available compared to Cups which are increasing in price, having said that as mentioned above they have more deadening etc. to remove.

E46M3
They do have sound deadening, but far less than an original 172.
Still some sound deadening on the rear arches and near the spare wheel. Also in the front engine part where the wiper stuff is.

The plan is to go full track car so all unnecessary items will be getting removed, such as AC, power steering, 90% of the interior, windows will be changed for poly ones and panels will be fibreglass. I don't want to end up buying a normal 172 and then have to source a lot of Cup parts but if there's not that many Cup parts needed then I'd just get a normal 172

172 Turbo
@KieranM take a look in for sale at my Cup, it's done most tracks in the UK as it is, all the suspension components have done less than 5000 miles. It's had it's coilovers removed for selling it on. Buy that at £1400 and a set of BCs and you've got a cracker for £2200.

E46M3
Like said, go for the 172 cup version. Did the same myself. Look for the differences on here, they go further than just some suspension and weight changes.

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like it'll be a 172 Cup I'll be going for.

@KieranM take a look in for sale at my Cup, it's done most tracks in the UK as it is, all the suspension components have done less than 5000 miles. It's had it's coilovers removed for selling it on. Buy that at £1400 and a set of BCs and you've got a cracker for £2200.
Unfortunately it'll be couple of weeks yet before I buy one.

My current car is pretty much ready for track but the price of track tyres and decent discs and pads is going to cost the same as a 172 cup so it doesn't make sense to ruin my Edition 30 yet, and I can imagine a clio will be more fun! Here's a picture of it anyway.

F9829046-6476-46A1-9FED-431D49CD0382.jpg