ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Breathing Mods?????

172 Cup Track Car
hey guys, new to the forum.

just bought myself a 172 cup for a track car, just wondering what everyone thought was the best breathing mods were??

i was gonna get a 182 4 branch from k-tec, with a de-cat and one of their systems, possibly the stealth one???

then i was gonna get just an itg panel filter.

whats everyones views???

thanks

Walshy ;)

Civic Type-R
Larger feeds to the airbox, inlet match, exhaust and remap :) thats all you need imo works really well.

172 Cup Track Car
where would i run larger feeds?

just get some wired tubing and cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox????

or is it an aftermarket part i can buy???

what you mean inlet match, u mean get a gas flowed ported and polished head with inlet match????

cheers

Lionel Richie
leave the head alone, its fine, he's on about the inlet manifold

very very expensive to fit the 182 manifold, and not worth it IMO

inlet manifold match (see AWT) some form of airfilter, decat and a straight through 2.5inch system

then a remap with a 7800rpm limit and off you go

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Oh and re-plumb the oil breather, it ruins induction mods.

ValverInBits
angel works technologies=AWT

IMO

On the induction side:
BMC CDA is a good cost effective induction system
If that's a bit much, go for an ITG panel filter in the OE airbox, works well
ITG maxogen is a full induction system. It's the best, but it's dead pricey at over 300.
It's a great bit of kit though which will see real gains when remapped.
Inlet matching between the plenum and the lower manifold is a good way of improving the inlet system also. also matching the manifold to the head.

on the exhaust side:
182 manifolds require a custom length cat/decat pipe to allow them to be fitted on a 182. Ktec do the kits as you know. It's not really a worthwhile mod, unless you are going to buy the manifold 2nd hand yourself or fit it yourself (involves fropping subframe). The average opinion is that it will give quite good gains over the 172 manifold.

Mk2 clios are pretty expensive to MOD. Cams are all in excess of 650, which seems steep to me, coming from a 205/cliomk1 background.

172 Cup Track Car
great stuff guys, cheers. so what i was going to do was all good. just need to get the inlet port matched.

i was going to get the maxogen but will be buying throttle bodies next year so no point.

;)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Convert to a PH1 172 air box as they have larger surface area and buy a decent panel filter.

172 Cup Track Car
i have been reading the angel works website, sounds really good, they do head work too, i tuned a ford puma racing to 178bhp from 125bhp 1.7 with headwork and cams and a lot more.

do you think headwork would be worthwhile??????

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Good for more torque, but not worth the hassle. Possibly if you are changng the cams it could be done at the same time.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well not really, taking the head off a 172 is a bit more work than just changing cams, which is far easier.

The stock head is more than fine.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Well not really, taking the head off a 172 is a bit more work than just changing cams, which is far easier.

The stock head is more than fine.

granted but if you are half way there then why not.

172 Cup Track Car
cheers guys, this site is fantastic lol

called the guys at angel works, really sound guys.

said it makes a good difference with the inlet so that will be sent away very shortly. they said not to bother with the headwork either.

172 Cup Track Car
just been looking, know everything im buying now, except my cat back

do i go for the k-tec stealth, the yozza stealth

or the k-tec new tailpipe exhaust, or the yozza race

would like a stealth cause im like that lol

but scared it might not be as free flowing?????

what you guys think??????

Civic Type-R
Go for a yozza stealth imo, the old k-tec exhaust I had on mine was rubbish :)

If you get the inlet matching done at AWT they can do the remap at the same time.

Dont think youl notice a great deal of difference between them to be honest there all good systems... performance wise you wont notice much either.