ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Losing Power Straight Away, Car Won't Start - Alternator???

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey all

Major problems with the 2002 172 mk2 :( Was driving along yesterday when all the lights came on the dash.....abs, stop light, seatbelt light, everything. I pulled over and turned the engine off then went to restart hoping it would clear it all and that's it, the car wouldn't start, no turnover or anything. Fitted a brand new battery thinking it was probably a dead battery causing this. Literally drove about 6 miles with the new battery and the same happened again. If we put a volt meter to the battery it's getting no charge or anything, does this mean the alternator has packed in???

If that's the case, what am i gonna need.....a new alternator and an auxillary belt kit?? Can i get a second hand alternator and simply get a new auxillary belt or is it advised to put a brand new alternator in and the full belt kit with the tensioner?

massive thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some advice as to what it might be

Clio 172 Mk2
thought it might be mate :( the car starts fine from jump leads but its not getting anywhere near 14v going to it. will i need a full aux belt kit too?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd check the wiring to the back of the alternator first of all as they're common for breaking.

Mick