ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball Joint, Talk to Me.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so I just went on a mega "Search and Read" about ball joint replacement etc and feel I know enough, so I just phoned my motorfactor to get a replacement (SC Motorfactors), and the bloke on the other end of the blowa' said there are two sizes for my model...

At this point I blurted out "I think its 12mm" and he said "Oh ok, that one, cheers" (I said 12mm as I think I remembered reading it somewhere in the last half hour) but I now can't find where...

I also read a post from Budgie, I think, saying you could have them from a Laguna/Megane or something, but once again, I can't find that.

So I basically want to check I'm right before I go buy the thing...

Ph1 172, x reg :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
buy both on the basis if one doesnt fit, you clean it up and return it!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If I take mine off, I'll have a hard time driving down there, that and I need to pick it up on the way back from work....

Budge' - I'd have it from NWP but I need it from shop really as it needs to be done before Sat afternoon (when I leave for FCS) (which basically means Thursday)

You seem to be the king of ball joint's dude!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm getting them from SC, but cheers, I've already phoned them, its just they have two different parts available... if I get stuck I'll try find a Unipart.

Budge - you really are, if you search ball joint, almost every thread has a post from you in! lol!

CLIO PH1 172
as mentioned rob just buy them both from SC then take the wrong one back there normally pretty helpfull in their - i would lend a hand thursday but im in uni all day other wise i could have run you down to pick the right one up ect....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No worries mate, I've got mike helping me out anyways :)

I'm pretty sure its the 12mm variant, so I've just phone my local motor factors (as I like to give them business) comes with new bolts etc for £12, and I'll get the ball joint removal tool from there too.

If all goes well it should drive like a dream come saturday (well if that's whats up with it) lol!

Cheers anyways, and I'll see ya Sunday at FCS

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't forget you'll need the tracking doing after. Some say you won't, but you will!

330i. E30 Touring.
You don't need the removal tool, mate. Just take the pinch bolt out, and give it a wiggle!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tool is £4, not losing out on too much ;) better safe than sorry no?

Warren - how much more ££ are we talking? :mad:

Oh and what do you say some say I won't but I will? Maybe I wont? (hopefully ;))

'should' check tracking whenever you disturb front susp/steering, although it probably changes as soon as it comes off the alignment ramps anyway, due to the deflection in rubber bushes. considering coming up with a cheap way of checking it myself on mine, as £30 every few months is getting boring

Various
You wont need the tracking doing as the ball joint dosn't have anything to do with tracking. If you get the right 1 they are fixed in 1 position. Its around £30 - £40 for tracking at most places.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok cheers Ryan, I'll wait and see I guess.

I'm guessing if the car isn't driving straight, or pulling on braking after then I'll need it done yeah?

i.e they are the symptoms?

Various
Uneven tyre wear, pulling 1 way, if you hold the wheel straight and it wants to go 1 way is another. Letting go of the wheel wont tell you as the camber of the road will pull your car 1 way.
You should have your tracking checked every year as it is often out.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ah ok, my wheel is slightly off centre at the moment, would that solve it? I just assumed the OMP wheel wasn't put on straight? lol!

I'll get it done and see what happens :)

Thanks much.

Iceberg Ph1
It's handy you doing all these bits and bobs Rob, come time I need some parts replacing, I know where to come knocking ;)

Good luck with the Ball Joint dude, I'm sure you'll manage fine!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
i you struggle mate, let me know and il bring some gear and do it at the camp site ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so I ordered just a ball joint,

For a Ph1 172 the size is 12mm (this size is the bolt holes)

Changing it was no real problem, however it did throw the tracking out, so warren (Brown Bear) was right.

Driving with a off centre wheel FTL