ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BAD kangarooing in the morning - First time

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Hi guys,

Ive heard of cold start clio and kangaroo before, and its something I experienced last winter but it certainly wasnt this bad.

When i start the car, for the first few minutes if giving it little bit of gas in 1st and 2nd gear when driving slow the car violently rocks back and forth very very heavily.

Its never ever done it this bad before and only occured the last two days.

Im running the rstuner map, which was supposed to have ruled this out, and thus far it has, which leads me to believe it might not be an injection/ecu issue and maybe something else?

Is there ANYTHING else that could cause the kangarooing other than the ecu?

Thanks for your replys in advance.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
When you say 'giving it a little bit of gas', reving to which point? Can't see how the remap would have improved this. I'd just put it down to the weather at the moment. Its bloody freezing. If i try reving mine before the engine is partially warm it hates it. About as responsive as me in the morning.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
As in holding it around 1.5-2k rpm, say when slowly moving around the work car park. The remap was and did remove cold start issues with kangarooing, it had better ignition advance or something along those lines, and to be honest it did work and improved it well until the other day, which is why i ask is there anything else that causes this?

Yeah my car is crap till warmed up too....i call it an engine saftey feature :p

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Have you checked the spark plugs recently?
Less than perfect spark plugs lead to driveability problems...specially when cold. Clios seem to be prone to this along with the ignition coils f**king up when they get wet or too cold.

Ph1
When you say 'giving it a little bit of gas', reving to which point? Can't see how the remap would have improved this. I'd just put it down to the weather at the moment. Its bloody freezing. If i try reving mine before the engine is partially warm it hates it. About as responsive as me in the morning.

Sounds like your car needs mapping in your case. I always used to blame the cold weather when mine was a little jumpy but never been a issue since getting the map tweeked a 2nd time which ironed out all the lean parts.

Ph1
Hi guys,

Ive heard of cold start clio and kangaroo before, and its something I experienced last winter but it certainly wasnt this bad.

When i start the car, for the first few minutes if giving it little bit of gas in 1st and 2nd gear when driving slow the car violently rocks back and forth very very heavily.

Its never ever done it this bad before and only occured the last two days.

Im running the rstuner map, which was supposed to have ruled this out, and thus far it has, which leads me to believe it might not be an injection/ecu issue and maybe something else?

Is there ANYTHING else that could cause the kangarooing other than the ecu?

Thanks for your replys in advance.

Possibly the map sensor, duff or loose wire. Coil pack area could be another.

Have a go at wiggling a few wires, see if theres any loose ones. Clean the connectors too :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Doubt it would be the coils? usually they cause the engine to sound s**t, lose power, but not really jerky. Unless its on its way out and not already fooked.

RS RIP
i think the "cold start " limit can be totally removed by Henk.. No more bumpy ride the first cold minutes in the 1-2500 rpm range.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Im hesitant to get a custom map when this map has been running fine. Might try and check all cables, and the sparks are due a change as it s on 65k now. Thanks for the replys.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
has it been on diagnostics.??

if not then you need to rule out the sensors,

MAP
Lambda (could explain the large throttle to fix problem)
Throttle body

Andy

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I have a diagnostics thingy, so ill stick it on there. Lambda was running ok, but ill post up results. I was thinking TB too... will report my findings. As said once warm it runs fine, but ive never had it this bad before.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Well checked on diagnostics and everything was fine on there. Removed spark plugs and swapped those over. Still have the jerky pulling away around 2000rpm. Remapped car with latest aug 6400 cal file and the same thing.

Has to be something else like lambda or TB maybe?