ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad earth maybe?

When I'm indicating to turn right, my rear fog lights up on the dash, i believe this is down to either a dodgy earth in the boot somewhere, corroded bulb holders or corroded pins on the light connector, it's so much of a problem, however the issue seems to have now spread.
Occasionally when indicating, my mileage clocks will flash in sync as well... Can anyone advise me where about i should be looking for the problem here?

Thanks

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Had this and it's a right mare to get rid off, It's the earth for the rear lights, mine was the wire / clip in the connector plug come loose, got to the point I had to solder it in place to stop it, but a general clean a squeeze to make it tight stops it for a while.

Earth wire is the left most wire in the plug for reference, as in looking at it the way it goes in.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Yes it does, makes the fog light flash up and the clocks dim when you push the pedal, putting it in reverse and braking sent mine mental I had clicking from that box that clicks when you put wipers on lol

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Also dude a serious note, when indicating and braking the lights will not be working correctly, the indicator will flash and the brake light will go out, then off indicator the brake comes on like a god damn xmas tree, to avoid issues with the law try and sort asap.

Also dude a serious note, when indicating and braking the lights will not be working correctly, the indicator will flash and the brake light will go out, then off indicator the brake comes on like a god damn xmas tree, to avoid issues with the law try and sort asap.

Ffs. Yeah I noticed it's occasionally 'modulated' by the brake pedal. Braking seemed to affect the mile display most often too. It hadn't occurred to me that it'd be affecting the actual rear lights as well. I'm not very bright sometimes :(
Thanks for the word of warning though.

I think my best course of action is to take out the light connector, squeeze all the individual pin contacts tight, i've seen some advice about twisting the earth prong to give it better contact. WD-40 the lot to displace any water, and to wd-40 the boot earth strap thing too that it all connects back to. That ought to sort it all out right?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Exactly that, Although I found the earth in the boot was fine on mine, it was the plug itself where it connected to the light connector, the gap was larger than normal, I soldered it after a while as it came back time and time again.

Now I think of it, the conenctor on mine where it meets that cluster looked like it'd previously had some trouble being removed and someone had been hacking at it!
I'll give it a good clean out as above and maybe slather it in some tape.

​Thanks for your help Harbinger!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
I've just bought another 182 and I think it's having similar issues..
The battery was replaced 2wks ago but it's slow on start up, if it bothers at all. When driving the battery and 'stop' lights are flashing and flickering like theres a bad connection. Just now on my way home, it all went mental and handbrake light started flickering, ABS and airbag light has come on and stayed on, my headlights started flickering and turning off and then on idle the speedo needle was going mental.

​Any ideas?

I've just bought another 182 and I think it's having similar issues.. The battery was replaced 2wks ago but it's slow on start up, if it bothers at all. When driving the battery and 'stop' lights are flashing and flickering like theres a bad connection. Just now on my way home, it all went mental and handbrake light started flickering, ABS and airbag light has come on and stayed on, my headlights started flickering and turning off and then on idle the speedo needle was going mental. ​Any ideas?

Either chassis to battery negative, or chassis to engine earth I'm guessing with something that major