ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt replaced, now knocking.

Iceberg 172
Hi Guys,

Replace the PAS pump and aux belt kit at the weekend, everything was fine until I just went on quite a bumpy cross country 55 mile journey. Now there is a dull knocking noise coming from the aux belt area and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. I've taken some pictures. I've been given advice that my aux belt should sit central on the tensioner but if you look at the pictures, it's not.

The noise doesn't sound dangerous but I need to get to work :(

If you could take a look at the pictures and make sure everything looks ok apart from the tensioner? Any ideas on the knocking?

I'm going to take it to 519 and see what Danny has to say about it.

IMAG0734.jpgIMAG0733.jpgIMAG0731.jpg

Cheers!

-Dan

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks to me like the tensioner pulley assembly is not bolted in properly, or the wheel itself is not bolted into the assembly tight enough (I've seen Renault supply them not properly torqued before so you should always check) as the belt isn't located on the tensioner properly and the pulley looks stuck too far out.

If that is how it looks from the pics then STOP driving it. Don't take it anywhere. Fix it where it is!

Iceberg 172
Looks to me like the tensioner pulley assembly is not bolted in properly, or the wheel itself is not bolted into the assembly tight enough (I've seen Renault supply them not properly torqued before so you should always check) as the belt isn't located on the tensioner properly and the pulley looks stuck too far out.

If that is how it looks from the pics then STOP driving it. Don't take it anywhere. Fix it where it is!

I'm going to have to drive it to my friends house to take it apart tonight and fix it, there is no other way. I will drive very carefully. fingers crossed :(

Iceberg 172
Be careful as if that aux belt comes off it will most likely take the cambelt with it.

There is no other way for me to get it to my friends house without driving it. Couldn't be more scared right now as I've only just got the car!!

Rb 182
From past experiences. Personally i wouldnt drive it, maybe get youre friend to come to you. Im sure im not the only person thats had an aux belt wrap around the cam belt. Seriously. Dont drive it. Doesnt matter how careful you do so. And save yourself a lot of money.

Iceberg 172
From past experiences. Personally i wouldnt drive it, maybe get youre friend to come to you. Im sure im not the only person thats had an aux belt wrap around the cam belt. Seriously. Dont drive it. Doesnt matter how careful you do so. And save yourself a lot of money.

Will the AA recover it even if it's running and working? It'd be an hour round trip to get all the tools put them in a car before I could even do them in the work car park. The auxbelt is sitting on the tensioner fully and hasn't moved since driving to work this morning. Stuck on what to do.

Iceberg 172

Looks like my pas pump is slightly misaligned. I thougt they were all pressed to the same distance? Am i able to space it with washers untill I get a new pas pump as this one has warranty.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pattern part? I've only used genuine and never had one not align tbh. And no chance you can misalign the pump itself as it's a very snug fit in the bracket.

Iceberg 172
Pattern part? I've only used genuine and never had one not align tbh. And no chance you can misalign the pump itself as it's a very snug fit in the bracket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270954051315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

I bought this one as it was recommended by others on the forum. It's a genuine re-con with warranty so I'm going request a replacement.

For the mean time I spaced the pulley out with washers and its now letting the belt sit fully on the tensioner and run smoothly, but the knocking hasn't resided. It only knocks once warm as well and doesn't sound like a dephaser, Might be the lower idler pulley.

I will be taking it to 519 to see what Dan has to say tomorrow evening.

Edit: you can even see in the first picture that it's misaligned. And I agree chip the fit is very snug so I doubt once all the bolts are in the pump housing it can cause misalignment, Maybe the pump is off a broken clio engine that failed due to this? It seems like the flange is pressed in to far.

Last edited: