ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto-update an iTunes playlist from a windows folder?

320d M Sport
Hey, is this possible in iTunes?

I buy my music (not from iTunes), and keep the mp3 file in windows folders, so catalogued as House, Trance etc.

I know you can drag the whole folder over and add it that way, but is there a way so when I drop a new mp3 into the folder iTunes will pick it up and update the relevant (ie House, Trance) playlist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
Dont think its possible as you have to manually add to your iTunes library, I could be wrong though.

There's a folder, called 'automatically add' or something. Should be in your iTunes folder, then Media.

If your downloading torrents etc, make the folder point to that, iTunes will then auto update.

Tesla MP3 2021
EDIT, just found it! Didn't know that was there!

Though I prefer to add new albums my self, which I now have stored on my 2TB NAS :)

EDIT, just found it! Didn't know that was there!

Though I prefer to add new albums my self, which I now have stored on my 2TB NAS :)

Nice.

You could always point iTunes to your NAS. That way it would still auto update in that folder name.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yes, thats a good idea. So do you mean putting the NAS folder in the "automatically add" folder in the iTunes directory?

No, in iTunes (Edit > Pref > Advanced > Media Folder Location) change the directory to a folder on your NAS.

Then move the iTunes Media folder to your NAS drive, and it'll look there for it.

Then all new downloads could point to 'iTunes Media / Auto add' (which is now on your NAS). Once iTunes sees the files in 'Auto Add' it then adds to iTunes, and moves the files from that folder, and puts them in 'iTunes Media / Music'. All still on the NAS.