ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audiophiles.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Words fail me.

http://www.malcolmsteward.co.uk/?p=2479

Especially given he's a journalist and "technology writer".

Though I do like the fact he's closed comments and deleted them with the following explanation:

From the village idiot said:
I have disabled Comments on this post so that respectable visitors do not have to read the remarks made by a small number of extremely ignorant, rude, malicious and disingenuous individuals who cannot tolerate people expressing opinions that do not concur with their own.

Cupra
From the google cache:

The Super SATA cables I recently tested proved to be real shockers. Every logical thought was telling me that the wires that transmit the raw digital data between a hard disk and the motherboard in a NAS simply could not influence the sound that emerged from the player – after the music has already subsequently passed through metres of CAT5.

But they do.

I listened to the cables in my NAS feeding my Naim HDX/DAC/XPS and clearly identified easily perceptible improvements through my highly revealing active Naim DBL system. Quite what it is that wrought these improvements I do not know. My only guess is that the Super SATAs reject interference significantly better than the standard cables and in so doing lower the noise floor revealing greater low-level musical detail and presentational improvements in the soundstage and the ‘air’ around instruments.

The most marked and worthwhile difference, I felt, was in the increased naturalness in both the sound of instruments and voices, which seemed more organic, human and less ‘electronic’, and in the music’s rhythmical progression, which was also more natural and had the realistic ebb and flow that musicians exhibit when playing live. In short, recordings sounded more like musical performances then recordings.

As you can see the cables do not look anything special even though they are far more robust than the standard issue flat cables, and they are are irradiated, I am told, to vapourise any moisture that has found its way into the molecular structure of the conductors.

The photo here shows the original, Generation 1 cable but there is now a more advanced, wider bandwidth Generation 2 version that is soon going to be available from the same American manufacturer. They will, of course, be more expensive than ‘ordinary’ SATA cables – the red and grey insulated flat cables that come free with hard disks or sell for around £2.99. But their superior performance easily justifies the extra expense.

When I have a definite price on the new cables and the URL from which they will be able to be purchased, I will post the information here. I cannot wait: I only have one of the generation 1 cables and wanted a dozen more for other hard disks and SATA peripherals. Now there is a supposedly ‘better’ version I cannot wait to evaluate it and if it is, as I am told, substantially superior, get my order in for a dozen of those.

Cupra
Lol at this one:

Tuning Tip #3

This idea is going to sound crazy but bear with me because it originated in the factory of one of the most respected companies manufacturing high-end hifi. And this company has a machine that automates the process of implementing this enhancement.

Before connecting any cable to your system, give it a firm, robust shake. Grab hold of one end of the lead and shake it for a couple of minutes before you connect it to your system.

The process must – I suppose – do something to the molecular structure of the conductors, dielectric or insulation. What that is I do not know, nor do I care, but it has worked many times in my system.

Give it a try. Listen to a cable as it comes straight out of the box; shake it, then listen to it again. Hear any improvement? Yes? Good! No? So what have you lost: five minutes of your day?

The queer thing is that this even works with Toslink cables. Go figure!

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Almost evey time I am in Dixons (not very often) there is some guy trying to sell a fantastically expensive HDMI cable to a customer and justifying the price tag with a load of BS - makes me want to punch them in the face. My HDMI cable was £2.99 from Argos and it works fine, WHY can't people understand digital systems work with absolute 1's and 0's! [1]

Then there are people that insist on gold plated connectors - usually plugging it into a Nickel plated socket so they get sacrifical corrosion which makes a WORSE connection.

[1] I say this knowing that HDMI is a badly designed interface which can have signalling issues due to cable capacitance, however this is only an issue with long cable lengths.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
I tried to show my frustration by commenting on one of his car threads
http://www.malcolmsteward.co.uk/?p=2408#comment-152

Alas he has moderation turned on

This idea is going to sound crazy but bear with me because it originated in the factory of one of the most respected companies manufacturing performance cars. And this company has a machine that automates the process of implementing this enhancement.
Before driving your car, stand on its roof and vigorously jump up and down. Continue to do this for a couple of minutes before you switch to the drivers seat.
The process must – I suppose – do something to the molecular structure of the shock oil, springs or tyres. What that is I do not know, nor do I care, but it has worked many times for my car.
Give it a try. Drive the car straight out of the factory; jump on it, and try again. Feel any improvement? Yes? Good! No? So what have you lost: five minutes of your day?
The queer thing is that this even works with electric vehicles. Go figure!

Cupra
LOL
The SATA Cable Saga

I have withdrawn the article that appears to have upset so many computer enthusiasts.

I realise that the opinion I expressed in it was contentious but the reaction from some individuals was way too extreme. I think that wishing death upon someone because they wrote how they witnessed a change in the way their hi-fi sounded when they swapped a cable in a NAS is a bit of an over-reaction. Anyone in my office, including my wife and children, can read my email and they were not impressed by this and the volume of similarly aggressive correspondance.

I know full well that it is ‘scientifically’ not possible for a data cable to exert such influence but I know what we heard and hoped that maybe someone might be able to throw some light on what might be going on. While a couple of people kindly wrote and did just that most people simply said “It’s just ones and noughts, you stupid (expletive),” which wasn’t especially helpful.

182FF with cup packs
I think that man needs a visit from Morbo.
morbo.jpg

DIGITALLY STORED MUSIC DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
the village idiot said:
know full well that it is ‘scientifically’ not possible for a data cable to exert such influence but I know what we heard and hoped that maybe someone might be able to throw some light on what might be going on. While a couple of people kindly wrote and did just that most people simply said “It’s just ones and noughts, you stupid (expletive),” which wasn’t especially helpful.

Sure, I can shed light on it. You're a f**king numpty.

BMW M135i
As good as that is I still think the best one are the £80+ power cables that you can buy! Oh yeah we'll just forgot the miles and miles of oxygen impregnated copper that goes all the way back to the power station. LOL.

Sorry bmh but mains can make HUGE differences. I agree that mians cables themselves make little difference for the money, but as part of a larger dedicated spur type system, or a mains reconstructor, then they play there part, just plugging them in to the ring main is a bit silly though.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Sorry bmh but mains can make HUGE differences. I agree that mians cables themselves make little difference for the money, but as part of a larger dedicated spur type system, or a mains reconstructor, then they play there part, just plugging them in to the ring main is a bit silly though.

I am afraid you are bringing out the pendant in me.
Dedicated spur - it makes some sense removing other sources of noise and power spikes from the local loop. Although a good filter could probably remove this just as well.

Mains Reconstructor - what is that? Is it some kind of fancy filter thing that removes all frequencies other than 50Hz? I can see the point in that (although why can't a sufficient filter be built into the input of the device).

In either case, if you have a shielded/screened local supply, then it makes sense to have a shielded power cable - but these can be had for far less than £80 (I got one free with a £50 CPU PSU a few years ago).

I think OFC and all that malarkey is pointless for a power cable. A bit of capacitance in the cable won't degrade a sinusoidal waveform (it actually helps filter out noise).
Presumably the supply is going through a huge cap to rectify it anyway?