ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attemping boosted ph1

Ph1 T
Just finished fitting the cup alternator setup and the custom Manifold along with the Megane injectors :)

ACAB06CF-2FB2-4740-8984-C06559C24879-222-00000012E6004EF1.jpg

Does the alternator setup (aircon delete) look about right followed a few pics on here basically took all mine off and put all the cup setup on,,

C9F2608B-61B6-4BFD-B597-365CDFC55297-222-0000000FB528A74F.jpg

Slightly concerned about my TB been down at the front regarding the throttle cable,, would I be okay re routing the cable or is the idea just not gonna work

Trafic 140dci
That inlet plenum looks pretty sexy tbh :)

Regards to throttle cable i'd re-route it to come though the side of the engine, under the top engine mount and then bring it over the inlet plenum if that might work? Done my ITB's that way.

Ph1 T
Yeah that's what I was thinking so would pretty much go straight upto front of engine then round into TB wasn't sure if would work suppose if it doesn't I can put standard back on one engines back in car..

What pipe do people use for there oil return would flexible rubber piping be suitable?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just finished fitting the cup alternator setup and the custom Manifold along with the Megane injectors :)

ACAB06CF-2FB2-4740-8984-C06559C24879-222-00000012E6004EF1.jpg

Does the alternator setup (aircon delete) look about right followed a few pics on here basically took all mine off and put all the cup setup on,,

C9F2608B-61B6-4BFD-B597-365CDFC55297-222-0000000FB528A74F.jpg

Slightly concerned about my TB been down at the front regarding the throttle cable,, would I be okay re routing the cable or is the idea just not gonna work

Thats not the way the belt normally is routed so expect someone to start telling you that it is "wrong", reality though is that it will work fine the way you have done it, you just have a little less purchase on the alternator pulley than done the normal way, although on the flip side you have more purchase on the PAS pulley done the way you have.

Normally goes from the top of the crank pulley under the water pump, then up to the alternator then down to PAS then from PAS back to crank.

172 cup, Impreza P1
The belt is on the wrong way. It should run flat along the bottom between the ps and the crank then over the alternator and under the water pump.

Chip- beat me to it but it's not the way renault say it should be routed.

HBT 172 Cup
I seem to do that belt route every bloody time i put an engine back together lol. I actually ran it like that for a few thousand miles without ill effect but it chews up the plastic cambelt cover. do as the above wise people say :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Renault way isnt always the only way that works, it honestly will be absolutely fine the way you have done it, but if you want CS approval then re-route it as no one on here likes any form of variation from renault default, lol.

Personally I think the advantage of your way is that it is less likely to slip when the PAS is loaded up (slicks etc) as it gives more purchase on both the PAS and the bottom pulley, so if its for a trackday car where the alternator is unlikely to be loaded up much, I kind of think its an improvement that way if anything (once its made its own clearance on the plastic cover like Laine mentions)

Ph1 T
Damn lol

oh well if it'll work fine like you say I'm going to leave it as is... I'm just about to get the gearbox off now going to put my jack under the other side of the engine and be careful..

I've found 4 13mm bolts along the top and 2 16mm in the bottom corners that sound about right don't want to be undoing things I don't have to (bear with me never done this before lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It'll make a bit of noise when you first start it up as it makes a bit of clearance where it touches the cambelt cover, then it will run fine.

Cant remember offhand what bolts hold the box on TBH, I just undo all the ones it obviously is and then it comes off, never bothered to catalog them, lol

It really is very simple.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
nice one, you working out how easy all this stuff actually is once you get stuck in then? :)

Get the clutch off and look at that while you have it exposed anyway.

Ph1 T
Yeah suppose only way to learn this stuff is have a go yourself :) although everything seems to take me forever lol ill get there

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah suppose only way to learn this stuff is have a go yourself :) although everything seems to take me forever lol ill get there

Just over 20 years ago I wouldnt have had a clue how to to do what you have just done, where as now I would view it as a lazy afternoon doing nothing difficult, all just about practice mate, nothing more to it than that.

Bear in mind that a large proportion of mechanics career path is:
Be not very bright
Fail all exams
Get on automotive college course for dropouts
Get job as mechanic and over time practice doing stuff until it becomes easy

So most of this stuff is a long way from rocket science!

Ph1 T
LOL suppose you could put it like that...

Removed clutch now ill upload some photos as I don't know what I'm looking for to tell condition wise

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its worn but not worn out.

How long are you planning on having the engine in for before you take it out to build a forged one or whatever?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just make sure you line it up as centrally as possible as it will make it awkward getting the box on otherwise as the spline wont be in the right place.

Just use that one then mate if its only for a few months, then buy a proper one next time.

Ph1 T
Just make sure you line it up as centrally as possible as it will make it awkward getting the box on otherwise as the spline wont be in the right place.

Just use that one then mate if its only for a few months, then buy a proper one next time.

Tbh I was going to do it this time if I could of got hold of mardi gras over Xmas but as expected they were on holiday.. If it does me a few months ill be happy with that

Ph1 T
Okay I've got it on and it looks like its lined up spot on so hopefully will be sound.. Gearbox simply guide in and bolt up yeah?

172 cup, Impreza P1
If it's not lined up the box won't go on so you'll find out soon enough. Once you get it on, just bolt it up and m ake sure the fork is located correctly.

Ph1 T
Just put box back on the fork is that the bit the clutch cable goes on? There's no play in that and I'm sure it clicked when moved it before??

Ph1 T
Not happy! Looks like the inlet manifold is going to have to come off after all..

104D9A23-6197-4571-96DE-A16679B8C006-841-0000005FD43AE433.jpg

Won't fit on at all

Ph1 T
And it had been built for a ph2 TB and the fitment must be a lot different as nothing lines up. Idiot for not checking before

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
to be honest mate, you'll make a far bit on that manifold so you can put the money towards funds for the rest of the turbo setup :)

HBT 172 Cup
Yeah chuck it on ebay and put a standard manifold on. I cant see that manifold making any sort of performance increase over tweaking the boost another 0.1psi lol.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Edit, make a spacer for it?

Might have that off you for the right price if you're not using it.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not happy! Looks like the inlet manifold is going to have to come off after all..

104D9A23-6197-4571-96DE-A16679B8C006-841-0000005FD43AE433.jpg

Won't fit on at all

That will be easy enough to sort.
Quick fix is just grind the end off the bracket, if that weakens it make a new bracket.
I've moved mine a long way to clear by strut brace with the 197 inlet and it still operates fine.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Think they are straight on but can check tomorrow on my old cup engine with the 225 manifold. Just so you are aware though, the inlet diameter is 42mm but this is still enough for 300bhp and I think is capable of more.

I made a simple adaptor plate to mate a megane 1.6 cable tb to the manifold. You woul also need a megane fuel rail.

Ph1 T
Been working on the car from about dinner up until now got a few bits done and spent a lot of time doing stuff I shouldn't of had too my own fault though...

Fitted new downpipe (thanks cupman29)
Fitted cup alternator aircon delete kit
Fitted then removed custom manifold :/
Had gearbox off checked clutch
Fitted new Megane 225 injectors

Think that's about it few pics

We had both had enough by 11 :)

08CCBF6B-95E7-4677-8033-26E0C9B98B6F-841-000000773000C82D.jpg

70D90D9F-E73E-4071-B9B6-03145597C5C4-841-00000076AEC4BCB6.jpg

7A814D87-35D0-4FCD-B282-0630787CFD63-841-00000076C7AA93AC.jpg

61D70CDD-418C-426F-A767-16FDE8FE336A-841-00000076E464E19E.jpg

Plans for tomorrow:

Somehow get hold of a deep E8 socket to remove cup sump and fit it on my engine.
Fit intercooler
Get some vht paint and do a few bits, manifold,TB,engine mount just tidy it up abit
Basically get everything done and ready for the engine going back in Monday :)