ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

are wheel spacers safe on a track car?

e91 330d/type r mini
im thinking of putting a set of spacers on my phase1 172 but want to know if its a good idea,the car only gets used on trackdays and is on sportline springs for now,
the wheels that are fitted are pro race1s which are et45 so i just want to bring the wheel out by about 5mm but want to be sure its ok to do it as the last thing i want is a wheel falling off on track.
if so which are the best ones to go for?

Da

Less
Should be fine if you opt for hubcentric ones. It's the universal spacers that seem to cause issues for people.

Da

Less
Fine yeah, although that takes the ET down to 35. H&R do 10mm Hubcentric kits.

RS RIP
Fine yeah, although that takes the ET down to 35. H&R do 10mm Hubcentric kits.

yep, scrubbing when lowered (front, rear just okay)
I would go for the H&R 's too, these are TUV legal (pretty strict German certificate of safety)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had 25mm ones on the front of my 172 track car. Improved turn in massively!

ITB'd MK1
I've seen track cars and drift cars running stacked up spacers and they weren't a problem, Wouldn't do it myself, but i can't see 5mm ones being a problem. I run 5mm spacers on my mk1 to make the front wheels miss the coilovers.
The only time i've seen wheelbolts come loose actually was on painted wheels where there was paint on the bolt seat

alien green rs133
I had 25mm ones on the front of my 172 track car. Improved turn in massively!

yey, i run 25mm on the front of the sunshine bus with et38 wheels, and nothing catches :D
removed the front half of the front arch liner though.

b/g 182, meg tourer
sorry to hijack the thread butit saves starting a new one...

so to confirm a few points about 5mm spacers.
is 5mm on each corner likely to improve handling?
are 5mm safe with 5mm longer wheelbolts?
will they damage the bearings?
will they cause wheel wobble or tramlining?

Black Clio GT
5mm spacers should not need longer bolts
yes they cause extra bearing wear but tends to be on cars that run on track more
yes they help handleling as its increasing the track of the car.
cheap steel ones are heavy and makes the unsprung weight heigher which can cause wobble but if you get dearer alumimium ones like h&r or fk then they are really light.
i had 25mm fk ones on my gt and had no wobble even at 125 mph...

Ph1
sorry to hijack the thread butit saves starting a new one...

so to confirm a few points about 5mm spacers.
is 5mm on each corner likely to improve handling?
are 5mm safe with 5mm longer wheelbolts?
will they damage the bearings?
will they cause wheel wobble or tramlining?

5mm no damage no wobble but imo fit 5mm longer wheel bolts to compensate and to be safe. Their cheap enough.

It'll improve your handling yeah as already mentioned :cool:

One Phat Clio
http://www.fk-automotive.org.uk/websale7/FK-Wheel-spacer---20-mm-System-A---fit-for.htm?Ctx={ver%2f7%2fver}{st%2f3eb%2fst}{cmd%2f0%2fcmd}{m%2fwebsale%2fm}{s%2ffk-automotive%2fs}{l%2fEnglish%2fl}{mi%2f166-2834%2fmi}{pi%2f1500348%2fpi}{po%2f1%2fpo}{fc%2fx%2ffc}{p1%2f326a9a47b86ab286a6fb8f09cee7954f%2fp1}{md5%2fb04cf99b6d02b07a38e3a5feabc72163%2fmd5}

does the the 20mm spacer mean 10mm either side?

clio 182
halfrauds finest.......it was a combination of things that contributed to it happening but the spacers didnt help.

expensive lesson learnt!

Qashcow
hell yea, i still havent invested in any but will be getting some large ones from Eibach or FK at some point