ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are these HID's legal ?

JDB

Clio 1.2 16v
8000k and 50w ? I have no idea, all i know is that 800k is borderline.
Thanks for any replies.

Basically you can only fit them if your headlights look like these.
SDC17425.jpg

Hope Jon.G doesn't mind me using his pic.

8000k. If you arnt pulled over by the colour temp then you WILL be pulled over by the fact that they are 50w coming out of non projectors.

6000k or lower at 35w and always use projectors! please!

Last edited:

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Even of you have projects there still illegal. Have to be self leveling an have headlight washers..

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
6000k are perfect. Not to blue but have a slight hit of blue and look more like standard hids

1eight2
Irrelevant, its in the contruction and use regs, and that aaplies to all cars, new or old.

You can fit aftermarket ones, but to be legal you will need the washers and a self leveling system (not just a switch you can adjust yourself!)

Very true. I toyed with the idea of smoothing over my washer jets on my 182 but read into it and discovered it was illegal.

Cheap HID's look rubbish anyway...

Ford Transit
Theres always going to be a grey area regarding the legalities regarding HID's, theres arguments etc saying that factory fitted Xenons are debatable now, and that Xenons should be banned alltogether. It's a chicken vs. egg debate, always has been and always will be. We've been dealing in HID's for nearly 5 years and it's been the same debate throughout.

So long as you get a sensible temperature (5000/6000k), and your headlamps arn't pointing towards the other side of the road, you shouldn't have any problems with the law.

35w kits are ample, there really is no need for 50w kits.

e92 330i
Sure, they wont pass a mot from january 2012, and look abit chavvy, that in mind ill sell you my 6000k 35w kit ;)

Ford Transit
It's illegal to buy a Ferrari and do 200mph on a UK road in it, but theres nothing to stop you doing it. Like I said, it's very much a chicken vs. egg debate, but that's just my personal opinion on the matter.

Sean.

Inferno 182
Got them now, went past a traffic cop and normal police car last night, no problems :)

You wont get any problems with cops, half of them dont know what HID's are and most of them probably don't know the laws on HID's. The only thing you may have problems with is when you go for an mot. But you can always take the HID kit out and put standard bulbs back in when you get it done, then just put the HID's back in.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
nearly lost the plot last night when i 1.1 106 came flying up my arse with his stupidly bright hids, i reckon they were 8000k, blue as fook. He got my fogs and brake lights. You look like a c**t if they are not fitted to projector lights FACT.

JDB

Clio 1.2 16v
You wont get any problems with cops, half of them dont know what HID's are and most of them probably don't know the laws on HID's. The only thing you may have problems with is when you go for an mot. But you can always take the HID kit out and put standard bulbs back in when you get it done, then just put the HID's back in.
It's my dad's mate who does mot's and he has them himself so yeah :)

Ford Transit
You would say that being a HID supplier ;)
No bias at all!!

Ahah. Touché, you have a point, sort of.

Yes, we're a HID supplier (amongst other bits), so we'll always add a positive input to a debate about anything on the subject of legalities etc, but on the flipside, we'll always speak our minds and give an honest opinion, good or bad.

But yeah, on the HID debate, I remember them saying about aftermarket HID's being an MOT failure back in 2006, and again in 2008, and 2009. I'll believe it when I see it first hand, because to date, i've never known anyone to fail an MOT due to aftermarket xenons. I know of one person to be pulled over by the police for their lights, and that was because they had 12000k temperature bulbs, which were near on purple. So, our advice still stands; so long as you run a fairly low temperature and make sure your lights are correctly aligned, you shouldn't have any problems with the law.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You need to contact revels about being a trader or leave the site.

Thanks.

Ford Transit
So we can't have a presence on the site purely to give advice and help people out with any problems they're having regarding HID's etc?

Even of you have projects there still illegal. Have to be self leveling an have headlight washers..

This

8000k are way too blue you would be better with 6000k

And this.

I had 6000K 35w xenons IN Projector headlamps and never had any trouble. Any bluer or brighter and you'd look a chav and get pulled over plenty.

5090168260_32e422e1de.png

Xenons by j0eyD, on Flickr

Difficult to capture the colour, but it's the best choice. That or 4300K.
I miss xenons :(

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
It's illegal to buy a Ferrari and do 200mph on a UK road in it, but theres nothing to stop you doing it. Like I said, it's very much a chicken vs. egg debate, but that's just my personal opinion on the matter.

Sean.

The Ferrari doesn't do 200mph all the time time though. Not really sure where the chicken and the egg come in.

Ford Transit
The Ferrari doesn't do 200mph all the time time though. Not really sure where the chicken and the egg come in.

The chicken & the egg come in in regards to the grey area surrounding the legalities of aftermarket HID's. For example, it's said that you shouldn't beable to pass an MOT with aftermarket HID's in non-projector headlamps, aswell as the other legal must haves, yet cars with aftermarket HID's in standard headlamps pass their MOT on a daily basis and have no trouble at all.

For every plus, there's a minus. Like I said, chicken vs. egg debate.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This stuff about having projector lenses are pish.

Xenons are auto levelling have headlamp washers etc, the trajectory is all set up via the suspension (on some cars, unsure of the Clio)

SQ5
When you put them in to a Ph1 with projectors the setup is perfect though, and they pass MOTs as the light is going in the correct place, not blinding everyone like the above Clio pictured

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
When you put them in to a Ph1 with projectors the setup is perfect though, and they pass MOTs as the light is going in the correct place, not blinding everyone like the above Clio pictured

You're absolutley right ive done it myself, they still dont have headlam washers though, that being one of the issues.

SQ5
I always thought they didn't need headlamp washers, there was never any hard proof I believe as different people said different things!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
As far as I'm aware right now they're fine unless they blind.

However (again as far as I'm aware) from Jan 2012 Xenons/HIDs need headlamp washers, self levelling and be projectors.