ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ARB and steering rack bush change - rough time to complete at competent garage

172 cup (again)
Hi All

As title, how long would it take a competent mechanic to change the inner and outer ARB and sterring rack bushes on my 172 cup?

Thanks

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi. The ARB bushes on the subframe were a bit of pain for me. Not as easy as it looks.
Any hints welcome :)

172 Cup
I attempted the inner arb bushes the other day, gave up and going to take it up to my mates garage and do them on the ramp. Such a pain trying to do them on axle stands.

172 cup (again)
Thanks for comments - can anyone shed light on time required if car up on ramps for both steering rack and arb please?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2 hours seems a reasonable ballpark on a ramp IMHO

Depends how used to doing them they are though, someone like Fred or Dan@sjm who works on these cars all the time and has done the jobs loads of times before will be quicker than just a general competant mechanic doing it for the first time.

172 cup (again)
Perfect response Chip - the reason for me wanting to know a guestimate time is knowing whether the work can be done late afternoon (finishg work early) and hanging around or having to the leave my car there all day and find another method of transport to work.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Easy?? Got any tips? Got the new ones in place but struggling to get the metal clamp bolted back.

I just used a leaver bar to squash the bush.
Once the bolts through just pop the nut on.

Oh I also put some lube on the bush and clamp. :)

172 Cup
Ahhhh f**king hell just figured out how to do them. Easy when you know how! No need for longer bolts at all.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Renault manual shows a compressor that just looks like a type of G clamp. Smush them in.

Probably as much of an arse as trying to change a shock when you can only get one wheel off the ground. My car has the minor scars from other people's levering efforts. It's why I have rust in one place on the anti-roll bar. Or at least mine seemed easier with both wheels up. Maybe it was the nice long bar that I normally use on my irritating 206 arms that needs minimal effort that I used in the end so no slipping or marking that made it easier. Who knows....

Last edited: