ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple MacBook Pro - worth the money?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What's the minimum Ram and processor you'd want to buy a used one with these days?

RB 182 cup
Ive had my mac mini for 9 years now, its still working perfect, if a little slower than the modern macs.
My mac book is 18 months old now and is again, still perfect.

I had a windows pc and after all the viruses and whatever else i found it needed replacing after about three years. Macs usually work out lasting about 10 years.
Its eye watering how overpriced they are, compared to what they cost to make they sell them for extortionate amounts, but there is no competition.

​They are worth it imo.

Had my MBP for 2 years, still runs as fast as the day I got it.

For design/video work you can't go wrong - my MBP has crashed ONCE when running Illustrator, PS and Indesign alongside eachother.

The windows PC I use at work (i7, 8gb etc, so no slouch) crashes DAILY (usually more than once) doing the same sort of work...

I think you need to get that looked at.

i3 4gb ram and a ssd and will sit with visual studio, photoshop, chrome, rdp, ftp, outlook and other applications open at the same time with no issues.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I love my MBP and the way it links so seemlessly with my 4S - but it definitely, for me, was not worth the money. I only use it for web surfing, very occasional gaming, music, and movies. I should have spent a lot less on a much simpler machine.

Awesome bit of kit though, the best computer/laptop I have ever owned.

Rav4
Ive had my mac mini for 9 years now, its still working perfect, if a little slower than the modern macs.
My mac book is 18 months old now and is again, still perfect.

I had a windows pc and after all the viruses and whatever else i found it needed replacing after about three years. Macs usually work out lasting about 10 years.
Its eye watering how overpriced they are, compared to what they cost to make they sell them for extortionate amounts, but there is no competition.

​They are worth it imo.

p0rn

At the end of the day, macs are better. If you want to get one and both shrink your bank account and enlarge your penis in one swoop, go for it.

Yes, they're more tailored to design work and in most cases are overkill for many users, but the difference between a crap MBP and good Windows laptop is miles apart. IMHO IIRC TBH.

/sad, annoying apple fanboii

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think you need to get that looked at. i3 4gb ram and a ssd and will sit with visual studio, photoshop, chrome, rdp, ftp, outlook and other applications open at the same time with no issues.

Yeah...

You need more ram than that for VS, its s**t on less than 8GB.

I love my macbookpro, i have an acer netbook i sometimes use and i cant stand it now!
Is a MBP worth the money though, i'd say No. Buy a second hand one imo.

CLS320 with a D6
I've used both for a long time but I get on with windows so much better. It's just snappy and quick compared to Mac OS. My primary field is IT professionally, which probably makes a difference

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all of your comments everyone, I think the majority of the comments are in favour of them so I have placed an order today! Should be here this week I hope :)

ST1050, 320d
My MBP is pretty old now, but with a simple SSD and RAM upgrade, it flies. As said, build quality is second to none, I use it everyday and I wouldn't go back to Windows.

A4 Avant
Macs are a joy to use, they also look damn good, but as for being better than a similar spec'd Windows laptop, what a load of nonsense. You pay a lot more for something that pretty much just looks better.

Most people who complain about PC's crashing and being full of viruses simply don't know how to look after them. My work PC is a CAD workhorse, is on 10 hours a day, 5 days a week and is now a little over 2 years old. Not once has the OS fallen over and it's on it's original install. My home laptop which is 6 years old was still on it's original Vista install until windows 7 came out. I find it's the user that's the issue not the PC.

I wonder how stable os X would be if they had to cater for drivers for any hardware manufacturer (new or old) like windows does. My guess is not very.

I do love my apple products, I just wouldn't pay over the odds for them if there's an equivalent for less money.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Got a 2009 mbp. Upgraded to 8gb ram and SSD. Delightful laptop

like a boss.

FF Clio 182
Got a 2007 Mac Mini and it still out specs most laptops.

I have a:
2012 Retina MacBook Pro
iMac G4
Mac G5

And Mac Mini (Dedicated server that's been running was at least a year no stop) It controls VPN, Webserver, File server and it is a Airplay server. It's just keeps going never had an issue with it.

After using windows for a decade then switching to Mac I do believe there is a massive difference and it isn't until you own a Mac that you realise that. They just work faultlessly. £200 for windows 7 or £13 for mountain look, what do you prefer.

You name any laptop manufacturer that allows you to go into there shop and sit at a bar and have somebody take you step by step on how to use your product, if you have a problem fix it with no questions asked or the free seminars.

Yes they are a lot of money but you are not just buying the product you buying the whole Apple package that comes with it.

I have a:
2012 Retina MacBook Pro
iMac G4
Mac G5

And Mac Mini (Dedicated server that's been running was at least a year no stop) It controls VPN, Webserver, File server and it is a Airplay server. It's just keeps going never had an issue with it.

After using windows for a decade then switching to Mac I do believe there is a massive difference and it isn't until you own a Mac that you realise that. They just work faultlessly. £200 for windows 7 or £13 for mountain look, what do you prefer.

You name any laptop manufacturer that allows you to go into there shop and sit at a bar and have somebody take you step by step on how to use your product, if you have a problem fix it with no questions asked or the free seminars.

Yes they are a lot of money but you are not just buying the product you buying the whole Apple package that comes with it.

This^

The customer service is second to none, you will get the odd person that disagrees, but if I've had a problem I've took my product in weather it be and iPhone or a mac and they can see you have took care if it an they will help you out and of everything possible to get you running again,

In the flip side, a few year back now I took a oh laptop back to comet because it went wrong and they managed to loose it, then find it, partially fix it, then bring it back to me looking like it had fallen off a truck on the M1, and said I took it to them in that condition

As said you get more than just a product

FF Clio 182
This^

The customer service is second to none, you will get the odd person that disagrees, but if I've had a problem I've took my product in weather it be and iPhone or a mac and they can see you have took care if it an they will help you out and of everything possible to get you running again,

In the flip side, a few year back now I took a oh laptop back to comet because it went wrong and they managed to loose it, then find it, partially fix it, then bring it back to me looking like it had fallen off a truck on the M1, and said I took it to them in that condition

As said you get more than just a product

My Retina MacBook screen failed on me twice, if it was a laptop then I would of had to spend ages getting it fixed. Took it to Genius Bar and on both occasions they replaced the whole upper lid. Took about a week for it to be repaired. Nobody at the store has ever seen one fail twice in such a short time,

I not disappointed in Apple for it happening because I know they will sort any problem. I chipped the lid so was happy for them to replace the whole top. Was told if it happens again they will replace the whole MacBook.

Like I said originally people only think the price is based on the product, it's not it is the whole package you get from Apple.

I have a:
2012 Retina MacBook Pro
iMac G4
Mac G5

Really comparing the price of Windows to Mac? Shall we compare the price of Windows hardware to Apple :L Sorry but that is not a valid argument ;)

FF Clio 182
Really comparing the price of Windows to Mac? Shall we compare the price of Windows hardware to Apple :L Sorry but that is not a valid argument ;)

How many Windows based laptops are still around and good spec'd from 5 years ago? Now how many people on here have MacBook that is 5 years old and is still just as good as the day they bought it?

My 2007 Mac mini is the same spec as my high end gaming rig I built on 2009. That is far ahead with technology Apple makes their products.

Comparing software pricing is a valid argument because it is one of the main factors when deciding to go for a Mac or a PC. For instance:
Vista = Failure
ME = Failure
Windows 8 = Failure

Windows 8 was so s**t they had to release 8.1 just so people could use it.

Name one OS X that was a complete failure?

Bill gates did to IBM what Zuckerberg did to the Winklevoss twins, It's a stolen product.

On a side note, Apple is the most valuable company on the planet so all it's user base can't be wrong ;)

How many Windows based laptops are still around and good spec'd from 5 years ago? Now how many people on here have MacBook that is 5 years old and is still just as good as the day they bought it?

My 2007 Mac mini is the same spec as my high end gaming rig I built on 2009. That is far ahead with technology Apple makes their products.

Comparing software pricing is a valid argument because it is one of the main factors when deciding to go for a Mac or a PC. For instance:
Vista = Failure
ME = Failure
Windows 8 = Failure

Windows 8 was so s**t they had to release 8.1 just so people could use it.

Name one OS X that was a complete failure?

Bill gates did to IBM what Zuckerberg did to the Winklevoss twins, It's a stolen product.

On a side note, Apple is the most valuable company on the planet so all it's user base can't be wrong ;)

The whole of that reply has nothing to do with your original statement. When you buy a laptop you don't buy the OS on top (albeit it's included in the price by the manufacturer but the end user does not see this! We have some 6 year old pc's at work that would leave current laptops and pc's standing :L

I've worked in a school that uses Macs and have seen all the flaws (something for another thread or pm) of the OS. The main thing that makes Apple the most publically trading company valuable is IOS devices. It's a trend, pretty much everyone I know wants/has one because everyone else does. Not because they're of the features etc. Then all they seem to do is moan about battery life. Whats the point of having this super awesome phone if you can't use it half of them time.

Sorry for the rant but it's needed. Awaits flaming from Apple fanboys.

The screen on the non-retina 13" is awful. Certainly not suited to photography work of any kind, so doesn't seem suited to the OP at all. Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
It's fine honestly, I think the non retina screen is brilliant. If you have doubts go and have a look at one, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Photographers and graphic designers have been using macs for their work for years, well before the retina screen came about.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So true. Just because the retina is better, it doesn't make the normal screen dog s**t. It's leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other laptop screens.

FF Clio 182
Running Windows on a VM on my retina MacBook is messed up as Windows isn't designed to be made to go that big so everything is too small to see. You struggle to even see the start button.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
MBPs are the dogs danglies when it comes to laptops for anything but gaming use.

They cost a fortune though, imo the value of them isn't great but there's no competitor. I have a 2010 MBP with 15" anti-glare screen. Even if you don't like the AG screen, make sure you at least get the hi-res version of the glossy one as the standard screen is pretty terrible for a £1500 machine.

I didn't notice a difference between 4GB and 8GB (did the 'upgrade' myself). Biggest difference is the hard drive, they come with such scabby pieces of s**t as standard.

I bought a Seagate hybrid drive and it makes the computer rapid in comparison to the standard unit. If you have the money then buy a nice sized SSD.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thing is, on the money side of it, it does even itself out.

My 5 year old PC laptop is worth WAY under £100, my 4 year old MBP? More like 4/5x that.

Running Windows on a VM on my retina MacBook is messed up as Windows isn't designed to be made to go that big so everything is too small to see. You struggle to even see the start button.

Change the VM settings. There should be an optimise for Retina option. We'll in fact I know there is.

FF Clio 182
Change the VM settings. There should be an optimise for Retina option. We'll in fact I know there is.

I know there is. The point I was making was if you run windows at Retina resolution it is borderline unusable. Settings are currently set at optimise for retina.