ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
On the X can you 2@3d Touch the left of the screen and pull right to multitask?
You can either flick up and hold to enter multitasking, or if you swipe right across the very bottom of the screen you can get to the previous app. Never used the force touch version of that feature on my 7 but its so quick and easy on the X i find myself using it all the time.

How do I get it so the button at the bottom of my gmail account within Mail deletes the email rather than archives?
Go settings, accounts and passwords, gmail, account, advanced, and change the move discarded messages option to delete rather than archive

Citroen DS3 DSport
Not to open the app switcher, that has to be done by swiping up and holding.

You don’t need to swipe up and hold to access multitasking, swipe up and then right and it instantly opens multitasking. Basically a upside down L. It’s very fast and for me better than the old method.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't it double tap of the home? How is swiping 2 directions in to the middle of the screen easier than double tap? 3 if you include actually unlocking the phone via tid.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Wasn't it double tap of the home? How is swiping 2 directions in to the middle of the screen easier than double tap? 3 if you include actually unlocking the phone via tid.

If the result is to open the app switcher then chances are you’re already using a unlocked phone. It’s a very easy curved movement and one that keeps your finger over the screen area without double tapping any off screen buttons.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
because you could 3d touch the left of the screen and swipe in to get the app switcher

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Is that only on the X or part of the latest IOS?
Just the X, swiping up on any other device brings up control centre, will be interesting to see if they change this as currently control centre is in different places for devices running identical OS versions

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Saw a video earlier of a guy in America just randomly giving out a few of these to randomers on the street. Whatever floats your boat!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
There’s a whole article on MacRumors about better implementations of control centre, it’s a long reach to the top right so using it to control lights etc is a bit slower now.
Someone suggest force touch upwards from the bottom or in from the side

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’ve been looking at the X and 8 inc 8 plus quit closely. If I were to get one it would be the X, but I’m not getting one this time round. I’ve currenly got the 7 Plus my very first iPhone. I’m still very pleased with the phone and only got it from Apple in January this year. I’m waiting for the next one to turn up end next year. I’m sure it’ll be OLED again , have USB-C connection, 128GB storage will return. I’m sure the price will be cheaper next time round too on the models. I’m not really fond on the messing about with all the buttons and scroll down on the top sides of the screen. I’m sure they’ll fine tune it far better down the line.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve been looking at the X and 8 inc 8 plus quit closely. If I were to get one it would be the X, but I’m not getting one this time round. I’ve currenly got the 7 Plus my very first iPhone. I’m still very pleased with the phone and only got it from Apple in January this year. I’m waiting for the next one to turn up end next year. I’m sure it’ll be OLED again , have USB-C connection, 128GB storage will return. I’m sure the price will be cheaper next time round too on the models. I’m not really fond on the messing about with all the buttons and scroll down on the top sides of the screen. I’m sure they’ll fine tune it far better down the line.
Does the X have USB type C or their standard one?
If not, I can't see Apple ever changing their charge system tbh.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Does the X have USB type C or their standard one?
If not, I can't see Apple ever changing their charge system tbh.
Still lightning port on the X, and yeh, I think they'll stick with it for a while as they only switched from 30-pin 4/5 years ago, would have made sense for them to go usb-c then but ah well

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The gesture stuff is ok, but I don't think it's a great user experience to have it as a required form of input.

Google have the soft buttons down to a tee. Soft home button that does either home or Google assistant with a long press. Back button that works on any app instead of leaving that up to the app Devs and an app switch button that also does multitasking/split screen. Why Apple didn't just copy that is beyond me. It's so much better than their gesture based solution.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not a doctor but I always thought the IR spectrum is bad for your eyes? I can't imagine apple putting a flagship product out there that had any chance of damaging your eyes, @ForceIndia you're an optician aren't you? Am I making that first bit up?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Why Apple didn't just copy that is beyond me. It's so much better than their gesture based solution.
I’m not the biggest fan of on screen buttons, but do like having a back, home and multitasking button on my S6, however after not very long I do like the gestures on the X, other than reachability sometimes being a b*****d it works pretty well

Edit: and the battery is f**king awesome (30% at the end of the day, my 7 would be flat by 4pm)

Last edited:

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I ordered a new plan through Carphone Warehouse on the 31st October
Package arrived via DPD yesterday with all the accessories promised but no iPhone X
I'm so annoyed - 2 hours on the phone back and forth with DPD and Carphone Warehouse and they have now opened an investigation to see where its gone - I'm guessing its been pinched at the depot?

So frustrating as my wife's phone arrived today and i'm still rolling with my 6S!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
The gesture stuff is ok, but I don't think it's a great user experience to have it as a required form of input.

Google have the soft buttons down to a tee. Soft home button that does either home or Google assistant with a long press. Back button that works on any app instead of leaving that up to the app Devs and an app switch button that also does multitasking/split screen. Why Apple didn't just copy that is beyond me. It's so much better than their gesture based solution.
have you got an X?

I used it for 5 mins in the store yesterday and already its was very natural, not for one second did I actually miss the home button, its one of those things where you wonder why you ever needed to use it and have it take up so much real estate on the phone once its gone!

Mine arrived Monday but I'm away, so collecting it tonight, but after only 5 mins in the Apple Store I'm excited to receive it, the screen is beautiful, and the home button is extinct!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Has anyone had issues with saving images on the new phones/iOS?

Whenever I open an attachment now (because it always fails trying to save from Cs), I click and hold the pic but don’t get the ‘save image’ option. What am I doing wrong?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
have you got an X?

I used it for 5 mins in the store yesterday and already its was very natural, not for one second did I actually miss the home button, its one of those things where you wonder why you ever needed to use it and have it take up so much real estate on the phone once its gone!

Mine arrived Monday but I'm away, so collecting it tonight, but after only 5 mins in the Apple Store I'm excited to receive it, the screen is beautiful, and the home button is extinct!

I don't, I was in the market for a new phone and it was more or less between an 8+/X/Pixel2.

iPhone for the hardware build quality, Pixel for Android OS and the camera.

Personally, I find iOS a bit restrictive. Things like not being able to set the default browser, mail client etc. Then there's the keyboard, android is a lot less frustrating with autocorrects in my experience.

It's just apple's way, the gestures instead of buttons is just more of the same. The advanced gestures are nothing new, but there's a reason they're not de facto when it comes to UI.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
My phone finally arrived today and already loving it.

Impressive camera for a smart phone. Quick one I took this evening.

8070f107cd6601d13b75f16ac8429d57.jpg

DB.

BMW 440i
I’ve noticed my X randomly mute itself on about four occasions, the last two occurred when a) I opened the daily mail app and b) I unlocked the phone.

Bit confused as to why it’s doing this but I’ll have to keep an eye on it

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Had a play with an X in John Lewis.

I still stand by what I said about the aesthetics due to the symmetry of the phone being off because of the notch, but when you’re actually using it you completely forget about the notch.

Such a lovely phone to hold and use. Slightly bigger than my 7, but with more screen real estate, so it feels a lot bigger. As it’s a demo phone the FaceID isn’t enabled so I couldn’t have a play with that.

The only downside imo is that when watching a video it makes it smaller it slightly so that the notch doesn’t get in the way, but if you have it full screen then it cuts off the picture so that the notch interferes with the video. Just a shame that you can’t take full advantage of the screen when watching a video.

However, I haven’t got £1000 spare right now, and I’m happy with my 7, so may see what Apple do with the next version of the X next year.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
After living with it for the last 3 weeks or whatever, i can safely say i love everything about it apart from face ID. Beginning to annoy me.