ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

App Development

Titanium 182
Hi all, I have an idea for an app which I personally believe would very successful, especially since I know have the perfect method to advertise it (I run a Twitter page in the subject which is currently @10k followers).

Firstly, I know my way around the computing world pretty well but I know nothing about app development (only basic level coding). A rough guide price for me app will be around £20k, money I just can't afford. I've built a few VB applications for work but nothing fancy.

Any ideas for how I can take this thing off? I was thinking about finding a few apps and basically just harvesting the code I needed in order to try and build mine as I cannot see any other options besides a kickstarter project.

Thanks for any ideas!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
What platform do you want to create the app for? iOS, Android, Windows phone, Windows 8?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of effort (and potentially money) for sod all... The market is so saturated and no matter how 'stand out' your app is it is VERY hard to get it out there, to keep it out there and to make money from it. People will want free or cheap versions of your app and it would have to have some significant downloads to even make back development costs (if that actually happens). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for ideas, making money, etc. and would like to see you do something successful... but developing a (serious) app is not a trivial thing.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
But @SharkyUK this time next year we'll be mill-yon-airs.

When an app only generates 400 dollars worth and gets into the top 10 on iTunes you soon realise that the app boat has well and truly sailed!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
But @SharkyUK this time next year we'll be mill-yon-airs.
...which reminds me, I have a great idea for a new app. Do you want in? 50/50? Although 50% of nothing is not a lot...

@JakeyCUK - joking aside mate, I'm not having a dig at your ideas or enthusiasm. It's just REAL hard to get an app out there and to make it turn a profit. Personally I find it pointless even spending time on developing my own apps now as time is better spent on other things (unless treating it as a learning exercise or just for sh!ts and giggles). Apps I've worked on have typically been part of a larger work package so as to guarantee at least some payment for the efforts involved in the realisation of that app.

When an app only generates 400 dollars worth and gets into the top 10 on iTunes you soon realise that the app boat has well and truly sailed!
Agreed - this says it all really. The angry / flappy bird has flown the nest and all that. Bad pun very much intended.

Clio
Surely Flappy Bird has proven that there is still a possibility for small individuals to make good coin from a simple idea, although only short term.

Although, the OPs idea seems a bit more complex than some pickup and play annoying game.

Titanium 182
Thanks for all of the input which I have taken on board :) The app would be for IOS & Android. After receiving a pm from a user who I then had a chat with regarding my app requirements he was a bit shocked at the price as he don't think it was that much work at all. I've gone back to the drawing board and I think I am going to give it a real go myself! I know a few users in our Informatics department who also said they would help me along the way.

The app market is absolutely saturated, however there are no apps that even come close to the aim that mine will achieve. Will it be successful? I have no idea but I'll give it a good go lol and as I said previously I'm well on my way to having a good solid potential customer base via my Twitter page.

Thanks again all!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Surely Flappy Bird has proven that there is still a possibility for small individuals to make good coin from a simple idea, although only short term.
It can happen but is very rare (and I personally would not be comfortable in hoping that my app's success comes about through hype, being in the right place at the right time and hoping it goes viral - although this would undoubtedly help!) There's just too much cr#p out there, a lack of novel and innovative ideas and too many (badly executed) copy-cats. If a little home-brew project requiring minimal effort and investment (time / money) goes viral then fair play; but it's definitely the exception rather than the rule :)

Thanks for all of the input which I have taken on board :smile: The app would be for IOS & Android. After receiving a pm from a user who I then had a chat with regarding my app requirements he was a bit shocked at the price as he don't think it was that much work at all. I've gone back to the drawing board and I think I am going to give it a real go myself! I know a few users in our Informatics department who also said they would help me along the way.

The app market is absolutely saturated, however there are no apps that even come close to the aim that mine will achieve. Will it be successful? I have no idea but I'll give it a good go lol and as I said previously I'm well on my way to having a good solid potential customer base via my Twitter page.

Thanks again all!
Good luck with it mate. Just don't underestimate the costs and effort required, especially if you are considering multi-platform (as you are). You're jumping in at the deep end and any experienced developer would applaud your enthusiasm but also suggest your do some homework to prepare yourself for the slog ahead. And it WILL be a slog. Even a 'simple' app. :) I'm not trying to put you off believe it or not. Like a few on here I've been coding for the best part of 25+ years now and for every successful project I've seen make it to completion, I've seen a hundred that have fallen by the way side! My last app was a simple app (for a private company) which involved myself and a graphic / UI / UX designer. It was part time over 3 months (part time for me, full time for my colleague). Despite being 'simple' my colleague was still paid his rate of £350 per day and I was still wanting payment of my daily rate (which was an amount more per day). And that was on a single platform with very basic and limited requirements :)

As said, good luck with it and I would recommend something like Xamarin - http://xamarin.com/

A framework such as this can make a massive difference - depending on the scope and development experience of the person(s) involved.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Although, the OPs idea seems a bit more complex than some pickup and play annoying game.

Games are an easy sell, they have a huge potential market, but "hit" games like flappy birds are rare, especially for indie developers. Sure if you come up with a hugely addictive unique game you're probably going to make some moolah, but that's the hard part and why it happens very rarely.

Business Apps are basically pointless to develop, even if you think you have a great idea for an app that you think will be really great in your field of work, you have a limited audience. If you sold 5 copies of your amazing app for your niche market then I'd say you'd had a success.

Titanium 182
Thanks again, really appreciate the detailed write up Sharky. I've had a few people recommend Xamarin, think I'll pick that up to ease the cross platform aspect. Do you think the 'Indie' package would suffice?

When I said that I think the app would be successful I wasn't necessarily meaning it would allow me to retire at 27:tonguewink:. I just meant that I think it would be popular in the very popular market it would fall :) if it did stop earning me money then happy days! I can see a huge potential for relevant advertising within the app.

I would love to tell everyone the idea behind it but don't want to take any chances :nomouth:. If it goes ahead I'll definitely pop back here and update near completion. I'm going to start constructing it this weekend. Also have a friend who will skin the app for free when it's done :up:

Thanks all, great help

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Do you think the 'Indie' package would suffice?
There's a Starter Edition available for free mate. It might be worth trying that first and getting a taste / feel for it before committing to any of the paid-for plans. :)

I can see a huge potential for relevant advertising within the app.
Without knowing about your app / audience just be aware that you need a substantial amount of visibility to generate appreciable revenue from advertising. I had a DotCom business during the dotcom boom many years ago and, despite having over 950,000 registered users, we couldn't make anywhere near enough money from advertising to sustain the business. We had to drop the business model and start again, which was tricky as we'd based our whole model on sustainment through advertising revenue! Know your market and all that!

I would love to tell everyone the idea behind it but don't want to take any chances :nomouth:. If it goes ahead I'll definitely pop back here and update near completion. I'm going to start constructing it this weekend.
Don't tell anyone anything. Play your cards close and keep it that way :)