ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got an pple Imac G5??

Caddy Maxi
its a mac. in short if you want a stable machine and have come to your senses that windows is a s**t OS then yes. if you have probs with it its not likely to be something stupid like you held your face wrong so it didnt work like on windows! no more magic windows restart to fix problems! i've recently just gone mac and i cant see why i didnt do it before to be fair.

its a mac. in short if you want a stable machine and have come to your senses that windows is a s**t OS then yes. if you have probs with it its not likely to be something stupid like you held your face wrong so it didnt work like on windows! no more magic windows restart to fix problems! i've recently just gone mac and i cant see why i didnt do it before to be fair.
A bad workman always blames his tools.

Only time I had to restart my machine @ work was when thunderbird went to v1.5 and it leaked memory like a b**ch. The bloke who sat next to me, who I must say is far more knowledgable about PCs and Macs than I am had to restart his iMac a few times a week.

The only issues I've had with my home one, which I've had for 6-months or so has never crashed, the only issue I had with crashes turned out not to be windows crashing like I thought, rather it was the scheduled shutdown I put on there so my computer would stop downloading before 6pm and which I'd forgotten all about lol. D'oh!

We only have two Macs in the office and I only use them to check websites on them. And thank God that's all I have to do on them. They run like absolute s**t even with just a few browser windows open and it's even crashed on me from just opening Safari lol.

Macs are good, and very pretty, but don't just go for one because a bunch of Apple fanboys tell you too. Research them and see if they're for you.

Caddy Maxi
i'm not blaming my tools fella. i'm going off my own personal experiences of pc's and macs. yes given my machine was sometimes to blame or a setting i'd changed or what have you but 9 times out of 10 if a 'problem' occured the magic windows restart worked every time (and using a genine version of XP too so couldnt be blamed on pirate software). i can honstly say my mac doesnt crash, freeze, shut programmes down for no reason, require restarts, defragmenting ect (if you leave macs in sleep they run background maintenance checks through the night whilst you are sleeping).
i can have loads of browser windows open (i use tabs though) no problem. Furthermore the advantage of not needing anti-virus s/w on macs is advantageous in itself to everyday users as it is rather easy for people to pick up a virus without doing too much wrong. Given of the reports i've been getting of my mate (pc fanboy like yourself) vista is very good, however he says that the layout is getting much more like macs and the way the os works, so maybe microsoft are beginning to see the usability of macs is better woudl you maybe agree? i'm not just telling him to get a mac because i've got one. i'm saying get a mac because imo they are that much better than pc's :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
No problems running lots of browser windows at the same time on my iMac, it handles everything far quicker than my previous PC and my work PC.

i'm not blaming my tools fella. i'm going off my own personal experiences of pc's and macs. yes given my machine was sometimes to blame or a setting i'd changed or what have you but 9 times out of 10 if a 'problem' occured the magic windows restart worked every time (and using a genine version of XP too so couldnt be blamed on pirate software). i can honstly say my mac doesnt crash, freeze, shut programmes down for no reason, require restarts, defragmenting ect (if you leave macs in sleep they run background maintenance checks through the night whilst you are sleeping).
i can have loads of browser windows open (i use tabs though) no problem. Furthermore the advantage of not needing anti-virus s/w on macs is advantageous in itself to everyday users as it is rather easy for people to pick up a virus without doing too much wrong. Given of the reports i've been getting of my mate (pc fanboy like yourself) vista is very good, however he says that the layout is getting much more like macs and the way the os works, so maybe microsoft are beginning to see the usability of macs is better woudl you maybe agree? i'm not just telling him to get a mac because i've got one. i'm saying get a mac because imo they are that much better than pc's :)
I'm not a 'pc' fanboy. I call M$ everyday of the week, seeing as I develop with M$ solutions. The layout is not following macs, it's going in a natural direction which all OS makers are following, inc. Linux desktop environments. The only similarity in the OSs is the (much needed) system whereby you're not running in an admin mode, i.e. you have to supply as a password to run as a power user to change settings, install programmes etc, but you could do this through XP anyway, this is also not an Apple feature but a Unix/Linux system, a Linux flavour which as you know Apple is built upon. I believe the business versions go a step further and actually use hardware security as well which will improve things.

As for the AV thing, don't get too complacent, the more Apple's become popular the more they will come under attack from malicious types, Windows just looks bad because the media always point out the frailties, which means hackers can get their limelight so that's why they always attack windows. As Apple gets bigger more people will switch and start utilising the exploits that already exist, which Apple in their dumb adverts have been very clever in their wording to skirt over the issue that these exploits exist such as these http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/

Caddy Maxi
yeah given apple isnt 'bug free' but just imo i now prefer the apple range after counltess times of red mist descending on me while using windows! of course all OS's will move in a similar direction. it has to be done in order to keep the same target market and increase sales of their own OS as against their rivals. i know the day will come when AV is needed for a macs. just a shame sad people write virus's in the first place as they dont achieve anything but annoyance!