ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any issues with slamming a clio?

Renault Clio DCI 100
Hey,

I'm going to be buying coilovers for my clio as i've always liked a low ride height. i was wondering what issues people have had with lowering there clios? For example on my old e36 the fuel filter was lowest point on the car so it burst 3 times :(

So any info on this would be fantastic :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In terms of not rubbing you can go pretty low, going too far will effect handling adversely but you probably dont care about that by the sounds of it anyway.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Low enough. He actually drove it that low too..

sety7esu.jpg

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Chomp the Exhaust on the Rear beam if too low too, plus look like a t**t or a 17yr fresh from the test station.

Focus st170
I had my car running pretty damn low, 90mm springs on the rear and coilovers at the front.

Problems I had was broken anti roll bar links/bushes. used to hit the gear linkage some times and used to take it out of gear. Bent the sills from scraping so jacking the car wasn't easy.

Other problems I know of are
drive shafts rubbing on the chassis. Having to remove the anti roll bar as it stops you going really low.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Is it really worth it for the hassles listed above?

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
Mines didn't like speed bumps or potholes! Ate a few sumps and bent a wishbone on a pothole. Don't go too low to start off with, the suspension needs to settle.

Renault Clio DCI 100
Thanks for the comments. Maybe "slammed" is the wrong word to use as im still wanting to use the car daily so the clio van low would be far too much for me haha.

Think something around the height of Dolan's Clio would be spot on for me! Also may i say tis stunning, i'll be getting bbs reps soon :)

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
I don't really have issues with some speed bumps, I have to get over them daily.

clio dci
Help I have slammed my dci and and my left wheel seem to rub/judder when turning right at speed but is fine turning left.. I have hammered loads stuff back in arch and cut bits out but still does it????

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They don't sell either, you see the 'slammed' ones pop up from time to time.
They get sod all interest, and if they're up on eBay get very few bids.

The same car pops up again a week later, owner still hasn't taken the hint and sorted it out.

The 'Slammed' look is well past now anyway.

Listerine & Poledo
Nothing to do with being "h8rs", more to do with:

1) not looking waff
2) being able to clear speed bumps without crawling around like you're scouting for hookers
3) being able to turn corners

That said, point 3 is a touch null in your case. If it was one of the 2l Clios it'd be more a problem.

ANYWAY!
Unslam the car by a few mm, see if the problem gets fixed. The sake of 5mm (which you'd never spot) may save you a lot of agro. Even if you sort it today, the second you get a bootful of stuff or a couple of passengers, you'll be back to square 1 again

Clio 2.0 16v 182
As above, consider passengers. That extra 5-10mm might be the difference between taking a nice girl home and only being able to take anorexic midgets home. And having 5% of your alloy hidden under the arches just screams "dangerous r****d". As you said, each to their own.

Listerine & Poledo
It's only unsafe if it's rubbing /grinding / causing issues under daily use.....

.....oh

Good alloys though by the way, different from the faux-motorsport style. :)

clio dci
My rear wheels are fine no rub my right front wheel is fine no rub just my front left when it under load turning.. like thay not as much room in the left as there is in the right

My rear wheels are fine no rub my right front wheel is fine no rub just my front left when it under load turning.. like thay not as much room in the left as there is in the right
You got any problems with tracking or alignment?
My old left tyre would rub like f**k turns out the archliner was loose, but stretched tyres fixed all my problems

clio dci
And have u still got front ARB on... i have taken mine off and car drop more.. and have cut a lots of crap out the left arch and still seem rub but can't find where:/