ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any ideas why my insurance is so high?

Clio 1.2 16v
So I'm a twenty year old who passed last may, got the car last june, no claims, no points, no nothing, so why am I paying 3.3k? Are clios just crappy cars to insure or am I unlucky or what?

Listerine & Poledo
as above, confused.com.

although being an "inexperienced" driver at any age will be held against you

Listerine & Poledo
comparisons are a good starting point.

no sense ringing around the whole world when you can discount a whole bunch of companies with a few clicks

chumpmobile
how do you think they get on those websites? they pay - means the price is higher. go to them direct = cheaper. do you really think they would do all the looking and searching for your best deal for free?! only fools use comparisons such as those stupid confuckingfused.com

Listerine & Poledo
how do you think they get on those websites? they pay - means the price is higher. go to them direct = cheaper. do you really think they would do all the looking and searching for your best deal for free?! only fools use comparisons such as those stupid conf**kingfused.com

use the site to get a quote, then ring and get it all confirmed from a person. dont use the codes or references given by the site.

besides, the commision isn't that high on any of the sites, they work on small margin, high turnover.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
trust me you arent gonna get it for less than 3k im paying 3.3k on a 1.2 8v if you hop up to the 16v your looking at another 1k

Most likely a bad postcode or you simply have not shopped around at ALL?

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car_insurance_explained/insurance_postcode_risk.htm

As others have said using a price comparison site isn't as horrific an idea as many seem to think as long as you only use it to gauge who's cheap and who isn't. Then phone the cheap people or go direct to their website. I saved circa £100 from going direct.

At your/our/ish age it also may be worth putting your parents and an older sibling on as named drivers. This can actually bring the price DOWN.

Consider a limited milage policy? The big discount seems to start at the sub 5000 miles point.

Also, I assume this is fully comp? I found that TPFT or TP was actually more expensive! I guess they figure that you won't treat your car as well.

On the same note as above, the "market value" of your car seems to make a big difference. Obviously it will cost more to insure a 140k Ferrari but I found I got cheaper quotes for the exact same make/model of car if ther value was 3.5k instead of 3k, nevermind if it was 3.5k instead of 2k.

Try all the above and you'll save yourself a fair whack. When I keep saying "cheaper" I mean £100s not just "a few pound here and there."

I also paid a third of that price last year to insure a 172 (I was 20 when the insurance policy started).

You need to shop around big time!! Lower prices will certainly be there to snap up. Just spend a day phoning everyone up.

Listerine & Poledo
Lol an extra 1k to insure a 16v?

Lets not forget thesee are french cars, so liable to spit a wheel at any given moment, causing a multi-million pound pile up with debris flying through primary school windows, killing multiple little cherrubs,

Clio 182 cup'd
Lets not forget thesee are french cars, so liable to spit a wheel at any given moment, causing a multi-million pound pile up with debris flying through primary school windows, killing multiple little cherrubs,

I thought it was only oil on the road that caused Clio's to crash?

Westy. MX5
It's down to the driver. As for the high insurance, a newly passed driver with a 172 engine and maybe a dodgy postcode, yes insurance will be high, also worth a mention that insurance costs have gone up about 30% this year. Mines going up £30 this May, bugger!