ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Wasted Day

Titanium 182
So took a trip up to Carlisle today to view a Clio 182 that over the phone was "immaculate" and had all its belts changed and a FSH, drive took just under 2 hours.
Got there and straight away it became apparent I had yet again been lied to about mostly all details on the car! Headlights were chipped and scratched to hell, car was swirl hell, scratches on each panel, slight curbing on alloys, then onto the "FSH" it had all been carried out with alot of attention to deal, at perfect regular intervals, all packed into separate little folders, fantastic maybe this car is worth buying but then I noticed I couldn't find anything to do with the belts as they had all apparently been changed, finally found some recently written note in another booklet saying they were all changed 250 miles ago... no receipt or garage info. So at this point I lost of interest, decided to start it anyway, noisy dephaser pulley, quite alot of engine shaking going on, so came home feeling pretty despondent.

Going to keep my eye on this forums sale section as at least the majority here seem to take care of their motors!

If any one is thinking of listing there BG 182 then do it now or pm me lol I'm getting so impatient! :(

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
especially when your daily driver sells sooner than you thought so your stuck driving your mums first gen corsa with 111k miles on the clock, butterfly and flower decals all over it, no handbrake, full beam comes on whenever you go near the stalk lol oh its fun!
tempted to just whack what I have got down on something a bit pricey and get the rest of the never never!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You may find lots of Clio with cloudy headlights, easily sorted thought. Its UV damage, lots of cars from that era suffer

Black 172
Even on the For Sale section here people try it on. I've seen a 172 being offered for top money and looking at previous posts found the owner posted about serious dephaser noise where he was told the car likely needed a new dephaser + belt change in the near future... no mention of this in the advert obviously!

Titanium 182
Even on the For Sale section here people try it on. I've seen a 172 being offered for top money and looking at previous posts found the owner posted about serious dephaser noise where he was told the car likely needed a new dephaser + belt change in the near future... no mention of this in the advert obviously!
Since looking on here I recently saw a 182 advertised as mint, then browsed previous threads and found alot of nasty info! really is a lottery when buying a used car, glad I know at least a decent amount of vehicle mechanics to help me avoid the sheds

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
at least if you buy from here you are able to look through the sellers posts and see if they have had anything dodgy going on. chances are that people will ask on here first if something goes wrong!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You need not have driven all that way to find a shed-

If you ask all the right questions you can get a virtual summary without looking-

Steve

Titanium 182
You need not have driven all that way to find a shed-

If you ask all the right questions you can get a virtual summary without looking-

Steve

Exactly what I did, and was told "the only thing I can fault on this car is the steering wheel"
Was told body work was A1 and all belts had been changed, which was clearly rubbish, patience is a virtue I guess though, and I'm sure I will find one eventually, was looking forward to have bank holiday Monday to take it out and about though :(

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
open question- Can you talk me through the invoice for the cambelt please- what garage completed the job & how much was the bill-

Expect a value around 450-700 depending on dephaser-

That would have ended your journey right there---

Give me a PM on any you see if I can help

Steve

Disastra Coupe
I'm so glad i haven't had this misfortune. Every car i've bought i've ended up buying the first one i see. Not because i'm impatient, i've just fallen lucky every time. Always managed to find a good motor for good money first time.

No doubt i'll eventually experience your problems though.

I had a wasted day when I was first in the market for a 172 a couple years back. Travelled all the way to Warrington to look at a Sunflower. Supposedly standard and in mint condition etc.
Got to what must have been the roughest estate around, saw this shitted up Sunflower. I didn't want it straight away, just by looking at condition. Went and viewed anyway. Car wouldn't start and had to be bumped. It was lowered. Had an exhaust system. Wasn't FSH as advertised. FFS. Wasn't impressed.

Ended up getting a pretty mint Ph2 Flamer, with optional in dash satnav though. Silver lining and all that ;).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had a wasted day when I was first in the market for a 172 a couple years back. Travelled all the way to Warrington to look at a Sunflower. Supposedly standard and in mint condition etc.
Got to what must have been the roughest estate around, saw this shitted up Sunflower. I didn't want it straight away, just by looking at condition. Went and viewed anyway. Car wouldn't start and had to be bumped. It was lowered. Had an exhaust system. Wasn't FSH as advertised. FFS. Wasn't impressed.

Ended up getting a pretty mint Ph2 Flamer, with optional in dash satnav though. Silver lining and all that ;).

Shame the car fell to bits electrics wise, especially the nav, should of stuck with the sunflower ;)

Shame the car fell to bits electrics wise, especially the nav, should of stuck with the sunflower ;)

Yup. Still miss it like hell. My Flamer was like your RB. Should have never parted with it.
Made it into such a minter too :( and now look where I am... In a f**king heap LOL :rasp:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's alright, we all go to see a lemon at one point. Here was my first lemon:

Mini%201.jpg

Said the engine ran well, liar, mayo'ed cap and burnt oil like a mother.:nono: (I knew about the rust)

Judging by the fact that the DVLA has no current records for it any more, I'd say it was scrapped soon after.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
open question- Can you talk me through the invoice for the cambelt please- what garage completed the job & how much was the bill-

Expect a value around 450-700 depending on dephaser-

That would have ended your journey right there---

Give me a PM on any you see if I can help

Steve

This. I always ask them to tell me who did the cambelt, at what date and miles, and how much the total bill was.

If they come back with £200 from Dog Motors, I know not to bother wasting my petrol going to see it.

Titanium 182
Yea tbh I should of asked abit more in depth! Probably just to excited about potentially getting my 182 haha, won't make mistake again though, hoping one comes for sale before bank holiday Monday, luckily I have never bought a shed before, always spotted the crap and walked, touch wood!

ph1 172
I sympathise, i went with a mate years ago to view a 'show condition' Redtop Nova for him somewhere near Blackpool, took 5:45hrs to get there alone, car was a pile of shoite, we were there only 15mins before tackling the 5+hrs journey back ! These people don't give a thought about the distance travelled, time wasting to55ers :mad:

Clio 182 arctic
Yea tbh I should of asked abit more in depth! Probably just to excited about potentially getting my 182 haha, won't make mistake again though, hoping one comes for sale before bank holiday Monday, luckily I have never bought a shed before, always spotted the crap and walked, touch wood!

At least your potential excitement didn't put you in there with the blinkers on. A lot of people go in buying a car just wanting that type of car, buy the first one they look at then come on here and moan that its got problems, seller didn't tell me this etc.

Its best to bring a friend in each case and ask them to point out things they see as 'wrong' in case the excitement of getting one overcomes your better judgement.

Titanium 182
At least your potential excitement didn't put you in there with the blinkers on. A lot of people go in buying a car just wanting that type of car, buy the first one they look at then come on here and moan that its got problems, seller didn't tell me this etc.

Its best to bring a friend in each case and ask them to point out things they see as 'wrong' in case the excitement of getting one overcomes your better judgement.

Yea I took my sister with me, well she drove us down, and as soon as she saw it she said "wasnt this supposed to be mint?" lol but yea glad I didnt just buy it, not fun driving around in a shed at the moment but at least if I wait long enough I should get a belter :clap:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Where about in Carlisle did you go? I think I might know the car your on about..

RS6 C7
I nearly bought a 182 on here, I had the meeting date and all that set up, Read through the previous posts and the car had been in a heavy smash, Unrecorded but still worrying, I know lots of cars are repaired and you would never know.