ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another tomtom thread

53 Clio's & counting
Sorry to ask as i know its been asked a hundred times already (I did search but couldnt find what i wanted)

Basically, I have an anchent TT one ed3, and its great. It does what i need and has been very reliable.

Thing is though, its starting to show its age, even with maps updated, gps quick fix etc, its starting to take ages to find signal, the battery dies if you unplug it from the in car charger, its also started randomly switching itself off when in use - which is not great.

In the mean time, Claire bought and downloaded a USA map for it, as we are off to Florida in 2 weeks time, but once I looked at the unit, it only has 512mb memory with no sd card.

So although i can ring up and get refunded by TT, to be honest I like the TT units, and have always had great results with them (when using other units owned by friends) so i might as well get another TT and download the USA map onto the new one.

So im after another, one with enough memory to download the USA map - but I openly admit to being useless with these - anything technical in general really.

So with all the options and different TT modela, can someone recommend me a unit that would be ok for what i need?

Much love x

Listerine & Poledo
there you go then.

Get a good one and it'll last you longer I reckon.

I'm still using my old 500, with the full integration kit, maps may be a bit old but it's also my carkit!

53 Clio's & counting
No mate, Galaxy S- though the Nav works well with it, id imagine using it in Florida would net me a million £ bill?

Listerine & Poledo
it sure would.

proper sat navs are always going to be better than phone-based stuff anyway.

I dont know about the galaxy s, but I had my data services turned off on the iphone as the TomTom software didnt need it, worked flawlessly the entire trip.

53 Clio's & counting
  Listerine & Poledo
dont know about that, the mother got a tomtom recently to replace her 500, you can still download extras to it and update the new ones.
voices, maps, camera warning packs etc.

182FF with cup packs
I dont know about the galaxy s, but I had my data services turned off on the iphone as the TomTom software didnt need it, worked flawlessly the entire trip.

"Real" GPS applications do all their mapping/routing locally so you don't need a net connection (Like Copilot for instance), If you just use the inbuilt Google Maps then you will incur data charges as everything is pulled from the net.