ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another suspension thread

172 Phase 1
Hi, yet another suspension question.

I'm after some coilovers for a track car, choices seem to be BC, Spax, AVO, or AST.

I would love to get the AST but obviously they are the most expensive, Spax and BC I feel will not be up to it so heading toward the AVO but unsure if it's worth saving up for the AST.

Thanks in advance!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Don't be put off by the BC's. They're a good bit of kit from what I've seen. Definitely worth a look.

Spax - your right don't bother.

AVO's I've had no experience with so can't comment.

Ast's are a great bit of kit. The purchasing of them is somewhat to be desired though.

172 Phase 1
Got the AVOs, build quality is good, heavier than expected. Front damper rods are rather large! Got a trackday on the 1st so will let you know

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Got the AVOs, build quality is good, heavier than expected. Front damper rods are rather large! Got a trackday on the 1st so will let you know

Is that the GTX kit? Look nice. :up:

Rods are probably somewhere around 10mm dia - looks like an invert monotube so would've thought that's the outer casing of the insert.

172 Phase 1
image.jpg

Still not sure how people find coilovers too soft for track. At Snetterton with standard sport suspension I wasnt thinking to myself I need stiffer suspension over any other items I might want. That said it was bloody wet.

Clio 182
Still not sure how people find coilovers too soft for track. At Snetterton with standard sport suspension I wasnt thinking to myself I need stiffer suspension over any other items I might want. That said it was bloody wet.

Without sounding patronising, very much dependant on the rest of the cars spec and tyres.....then how hard it's driven!
A trackday in the wet isn't going to push the limits of grip/body roll so not a very good judge (soft setup is good for the wet).
In the dry with decent tyres and pushing on hard, you'll find the wheels tucking up in the arches and considerable roll/possible arch scrubbing.
First trackday out in mine with track spec BC's the tyres were touching the metal of the arches not just the liners where the suspension was compressing so much (castle combe), under hard cornering through chicanes etc.