ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another New PC Build...

Yeah to be honest I'm just gonna take the 9 quid hit for the side panel...it would cost me money to send it back so not worth it. Plus I could make the current side panel into a windowed one quite easily at work. Xigmatek list a window version on their site but from what o can see don't sell one yet.

Return the case panel under the DSR, they HAVE to by law refund all postage (even return).

If you're unaware read up on the Distance Selling Regulations, OcUK are one of the best companies to play by this rule and actually doubled their own DSR time to 14 days. The likes of shitty "companies" on ebay wouldn't of course let you know about this, or even refund the postage.

They're the top place I use and use them for a reason, the support + community is second to none.

Shiny things..

IMAG1402.gif

Random question here too but where do people like to put the Rom drive? I have 3 slots available and am thinking I should put it up the top, but then part of me thinks the bottom bay might be better.

Put it where suits best, higher may be better as it's easier to reach, unless you have your tower on the desk?

Mine's at the bottom to make room for my Aquaero 5 at the top due to it having a screen on it!

Bumder With A Buffer
Return the case panel under the DSR, they HAVE to by law refund all postage (even return).

If you're unaware read up on the Distance Selling Regulations, OcUK are one of the best companies to play by this rule and actually doubled their own DSR time to 14 days. The likes of s**tty "companies" on ebay wouldn't of course let you know about this, or even refund the postage.

They're the top place I use and use them for a reason, the support + community is second to none.

Its gonna cost me £4.38 to send the panel back for the sake of getting a fiver back...il pass.

Bumder With A Buffer
I was only thinking about it as in the future I "might" buy a Fan controller. For no other reason then it looks pretty/chavvy. I put it in the top in the end.

Only managed to mount the drive, SSD and HDD last night, ran outa time as spent 1 1/2 hours faffing around with Orange Broadband SMTP settings for someone. Pain in the arse that was.

Hopefully get the motherboard, processor fan etc mounted in tonight.

Evo 5 RS
Only get a fan controller if you really need one. I've 7 fans in total so when it's colder as it is now you can shut the thing up.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
That appears to be the exact build I have, except for the fan controller as I'm not overclocking it at the moment.

Its gonna cost me £4.38 to send the panel back for the sake of getting a fiver back...il pass.

You didn't read what I said then ;).

Under the DSR the etailer must refund all postage (including the cost of you sending it back).

edit: Seems if they have a clause in their T&C about returns then they don't have to do that. Oh well!

Bumder With A Buffer
Precisely :)

I've got a horrible feeling the EVO 212 won't fit in the case now the motherboard standoffs are on.

Oh well case modding here i come

F82 M4
Precisely :)

I've got a horrible feeling the EVO 212 won't fit in the case now the motherboard standoffs are on.

Oh well case modding here i come

Told you in was big mate!

I had to remove the side 200mm case fan to fit it in. I have an Antec P190 and it's not exactly a small case :cool:

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
Cable management??

Panic over It fits :)

A few install pics (note the EVO 212 is NOT in place yet is only resting on the CPU) My cable management could be better. I Might address that later.

Cable management. I removed a couple of the crimp on sata cables as I didnt need 8 of them. Plus they were pissing me off and too bulky (2nd pic). Each wrapped in Kapton tape to insulate.

IMAG1410.jpg

IMAG1411.jpg

IMAG1414.jpg

spare unwanted cables from PSU hidden beside the hdd trays. I may well geta modular PSU eventually. I HATE excess cables.

IMAG1412.jpg

All bits installed..Question am I right to put the SSD into the 6gbs sata port or the usual 3gbs?? Does it matter?

IMAG1419.jpg

IMAG1421.jpg

This is pretty much how it is now apart from not hooking up the HDD just yet

IMAG1423.jpg

Only one thing that is ballsed up so far is the aurdio leads from the XIGMATEK front panel is too short to reach the connector on the mobo :( It sit in the bottom lefthand corner just hidden by the PSU so need to buy an extender. I could probably build one to be honest but I found one on SCAN for £4 so not worth faffing over.

As said I might tidy up some of the cables a bit more but im pretty happy so far. Just got to put the EVO 212 in place and atempt a boot up...!!! :eek::eek:

F82 M4
By the way the 212 will cover your first ram slot. You can get away with lifting the fan slightly over it and attach it towards the top of the heat sink.

Bumder With A Buffer
All up and running and sorted. Well apart from any graphics tweaks I need to do.

cpu1.jpg

Core temps sitting nicely at around 23 degrees normal, havent tried whilst running games yet as waiting for them to install from steam so taking a while.

I will admit I did did a silly thing earlier, went to power it on for the first time and it kept just shutting down after a few seconds (if that)..crapped myself, checked EVERY connection, removed units (sata bits) one by one...NOTHING :( Started to think the PSU was faulty BUT then noticed I hadn't put the +12v CPU/ATX power in :eek: Opppa! The PSU lead confused me as it had 8 pins not 4 for the CPU power...I didnt realise it "popped apart"" to give you the 4 pin connector you needed. Severe panic over!!!

Last edited:
At least your mobo only needed 4 pins... i was unaware of this 8 pin malarkey until i went to build my recent i3570k system and my asRock needed it. The PSU i was going to use only had a 4 pin, was another day waiting to play :(

Bumder With A Buffer
Some old shitty prodrive 17" thing or something. It's all I have here at the minute :( haven't had a chance to get another one just yet

I'm getting a boot time of around 25 seconds from pressing the on button to displaying desktop...is that good or s**t?

Some old s**tty prodrive 17" thing or something. It's all I have here at the minute :( haven't had a chance to get another one just yet

I'm getting a boot time of around 25 seconds from pressing the on button to displaying desktop...is that good or s**t?

With or without SSD?

Seems ok for HDD, you'll probably halve that with an SSD, seems quite long though - have you enabled quick boot etc in the bios?

Bumder With A Buffer
With SSD. I installed/plugged in the SSD first, installed windows and got that up and running and then connected the HDD up.

No didn't notice fast boot in the BIOS settings.... I'll have another look

LSO anyone got any recommendations for a cheap monitor?

F82 M4
Has that motherboard got both Intel and Marvel 6Gb/s SATA ports? If so, use the Intel ones. They're better.

Bumder With A Buffer
So yeah been up for a while and have a new monitor now.

Had this really annoying noise coming from the PC though ever since it was built. Was an annoying rattling type noise and seemed to be from GPU. Bzzz bzz bzzz brzzz Was always up at temperature when the GPU was running. "Fcuking GPU shut up why you make noise!!??!!"

Tried loads of things to shut it up, made sure it was seated correctly etc.

But tonight had a eureka moment. Ran up the GPU using MSI afterburner where you can run the GPU up and manually controlled the fan...got the bugger upto 60 degrees and there was no noise....WTF.

Then realised it was the bloody Corsair PSU :eek: Seems im not the only one with the issue too. A quick video to show the noise (might need headphones and up loud to hear it)

[youtube]S2KNdf8OBoQ[/youtube]

Only issue being it was bought from ebuyer and there returns are known to be s**t...plus Il be without the PC for a few weeks knowing them too...I wanna whazz FarCry 3 :(

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Corsair support is sh*t as well, they make you send it to the Netherlands and expect you to pay the bill.

Bumder With A Buffer
Who else make good PSU's?? Im not going to get another Corsair, Ideally want a modular one that I can remove cables from as its a pain in the arse having 10 odd wires left over and having to hide them and tie them all up.

Bumder With A Buffer
I doubt il go down ehat route but if the expense of a larger isn't that much more then a 700watt then I'm game

Bumder With A Buffer
Got myself a Samsung Syncmaster 2433.

Was being thrown out at work as the screen was rather dull and as soon as any sort of feed from VGA or DVI was plugged in the screen would turn off. Thing is it wasn't turning fully off...only the backlights were turning off, you could still make stuff out on the screen. Stripped it down and found one of the tubes was dimmer then the others and by swapping which connection they plugged into the fault moved = duff psu.

So ordered a new PSU from Chinaland and that turned up today....

IMAG1503.jpg

Ahhh yeah. A £220 monitor for £24. Nice. (ignore the wallpaper I have not painted the spare room since moving into this place in January...honest!!)

Bumder With A Buffer
Antec PSU's are a little bit more expensive than the Corsair one's. This will be more than sufficient for you for the time being - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-180-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1088

Update..

Bought this PSU from Ebuyer, once that has come they are happy to take the Corsair back and refund me. Was quite painless actually although did take me 15 mins on the phone to get through.

Might of bought some gay blue coolermaster fans to make it look pretty :eek:

Bumder With A Buffer
Another update and a bit of a debacle here..

So I order the Antec 620W and that turns up today.

Corsair have just emailed me to say that because of the known faults with the gaming series PSU's they are offering me the HX750 Modular PSU if I send the GS700 back to them.

My Debacle is...send it back to Ebuyer for a full refund or send it back to Corsair and get an HX750 that I can either sell (worth almost double the GS700!) or Keep the Antec....

Help.

F82 M4
Interesting one that. I'd personally keep the Antec, send the GS700 to Corsair and then sell the brand new HX750 for profit. Then the Antec wouldn't have cost you much overall.

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah thats my thinking.

Typical that would happen really but I dont want to be without a PSU whilst the GS700 goes back to Corsair...thats why I bought the Antec and decided to RMA through Ebuyer.

Id only be making 30 or so quid though by the time I send it back to the Holland