ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MCS. The track day toy.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Epic work David. What did you think to Goodwood ?

Other finery:
1%201_zpsz2pzwhdn.jpg

Some lovely stuff there, but for me, that 3rd one in.. mk2 ?? Wooooft. Was that all on track !? (Haven't watched vids as at work)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Me not being a fan of minis the car looks and sounds spot on.
Cheers! Although if you like Clio's, but wish they went a bit quicker, you'll like R53's :up:
Good effort getting it back out after the initial problems.
Have you still got the BVH waiting to go on?
Ha ha, I think it was probably more luck than skill ...
Sold the BVH when i bought the R56 unfortunately, a rebuilt standard head is only about £300 delivered though, so not a massive investment.
Love this thing. It almost makes up for the RS3. xo
lol. Love you, & your spacerz :kissingheart:
Did it go something like this :smile:
Something along those lines, but with a lot more "i wish i hadnt done that, my foot hurts" 😂
Get new injectors and a better map on it!
Also I thought the head was fucked.
Nowt wrong with the map, it was done by 1320, who are, bar that bellend Jan in the US perhaps, probably the best anywhere. Injectors were flow tested after the original sparkplug gate, also fine. Valve stem seals are in need of replacement, it smokes on startup & got through a couple of litres on Monday, so all in all, it probably just needs some engine rebuild based love. I'll comp test it at the weekend, see what that says!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, was all on track, couple of what looked like D-Types as well. The Mk2 had a supercharged V8 out of XKR in it.
And T1R's 😂
*like like like*

T1R's though.. lolz. Either genius (having fun and limiting speed) or colossal moron haha !! Got any more pics of it ? Looks superb. [Let's take this offline..]

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
T1R's though.. lolz. Either genius (having fun and limiting speed) or colossal moron haha !! Got any more pics of it ? Looks superb. [Let's take this offline..]
I didn't see how it went on track, so i cant judge its grip levels, but id say he's probably mental 😂
D2CD0A2B-FD73-4E8B-AC39-5D26793A2669_zpsqutzwc8f.jpg

E53D2DD3-5DB7-467D-B5FD-1640819FB994_zpsutzi00nu.jpg

My Jag loving friend seems to think its something like this: http://beacham.co.nz/beacham-mk2/
Whats with the S4 in your profile pic btw @TheEvilGiraffe

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That thing is unreal. Love it.
Like you say, I'm hoping that it was GT86-style thinking by fitting gloriously sh*t tyres for fun.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nowt wrong with the map, it was done by 1320, who are, bar that bellend Jan in the US perhaps, probably the best anywhere. Injectors were flow tested after the original sparkplug gate, also fine. Valve stem seals are in need of replacement, it smokes on startup & got through a couple of litres on Monday, so all in all, it probably just needs some engine rebuild based love. I'll comp test it at the weekend, see what that says!
You are good at adding but you still f**k up. Get the map changed.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Lohen, celtic, angel and EFI do. I think RS Tuning has done a few too.

Or just but an Emerald ECU.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Can't believe the mini is f**king about, it was getting really good, looks to go f**king well on track too!

That MK2 is literally my dream car, amazing!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well photobucket has killed all my old photos, so here is the link to them if anyone is at all interested:
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Sir_Dave/library/Mini2?sort=3&page=1
This weekend Sarah's dad came over & we took the head off the Mini, in the pi55ing rain. Rather surprisingly, the pistons are all fine, bar a few tiny indents from when it ate the spark plugs, its simply got a dead exhaust valve on cylinder 1. Probably something to do with the spark plug tips falling off after the map/fuel problems i had previously no doubt! I've got a refurbished standard head to go on, so will be putting that on shortly.
ba3b0759fa3cc67d6a73a984abf55e79.jpg

4b0e544cf107104e6192f5d30aa64bbb.jpg

bfc7d00a64dbf05668c5118ea8164eed.jpg

a7d2ac4337065657a763d3ccd63a8eec.jpg

As an aside, despite my fear of the unknown & the potential difficulty involved, taking the head off was surprisingly easy with the correct tools/Bentley manual. Perhaps i bought the 182 a little early 🙈

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So are you rebuilding it then getting it mapped properly so that it doesn't eat plugs this time?
In effect, the map was slightly off the first time as the s/c belt that Lohen had fitted was wrong prior to its initial map back in 2010, so when i fitted the proper belt & went on track, the boost was too high & the fueling not enough (poor explanation, but there or there abouts). This was then sorted by 1320. Second time round MSV had dead fuel in their tank - the car is mapped for VPower and what i put in onsite was NoPower. They dipped it and refunded me the cost of the trackday (no admission of liability though obviously). So my assumption is that once i've plonked the new head on, all will be fine again.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
In effect, the map was slightly off the first time as the s/c belt that Lohen had fitted was wrong prior to its initial map back in 2010, so when i fitted the proper belt & went on track, the boost was too high & the fueling not enough (poor explanation, but there or there abouts). This was then sorted by 1320. Second time round MSV had dead fuel in their tank - the car is mapped for VPower and what i put in onsite was NoPower. They dipped it and refunded me the cost of the trackday (no admission of liability though obviously). So my assumption is that once i've plonked the new head on, all will be fine again.

In theory it should be ok yeah, but i'd get it dyno'd at least so they can check the AFR's.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Parts ordered:
1 x Camshaft bolt, 1 x Head Gasket, 1 x Inlet Manifold Gasket, 1 x Exhaust Manifold Gasket, 1 x OEM BMW Thermostat, 10 x OEM BMW Head Bolts, 1 x Rocker cover gasket, 1.5L Anti Freeze Coolant, 5L Rock Sport 5W40 Oil and a Mahle Oil Filter.
Hopefully it'll all arrive for the weekend and the weather will be ok, i.e. not flipping raining.
Driving the Clio to work & back everyday has really made me miss driving the Mini :up:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
@Sir_Dave Nice one, that little lot should sort it out!

What coolant have you gone for? Changing my rad this weekend, but need some decent coolant to go back in.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave Nice one, that little lot should sort it out!
What coolant have you gone for? Changing my rad this weekend, but need some decent coolant to go back in.

Yes, hopefully i can get cracking on it properly this weekend!
Coolant wise, most of the above is coming from 1320 Mini, so its this stuff: http://www.1320.co.uk/bmw-oem-anti-freeze-coolant think Rich did the rad on mine just before i bought it, fairly common issue them failing - assume yours is just weeping a little?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yes, hopefully i can get cracking on it properly this weekend!
Coolant wise, most of the above is coming from 1320 Mini, so its this stuff: http://www.1320.co.uk/bmw-oem-anti-freeze-coolant think Rich did the rad on mine just before i bought it, fairly common issue them failing - assume yours is just weeping a little?

Yes mate, o/s top corner of all time places. Cheers, I'll take a look at that coolant

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
No idea, i'm just going on what 1320 say "Enough for a full coolant change" - maybe you dilute it with water?
I guess ill tell you after the weekend lol.

You do dilute it, but usually 1:1 ratio. So you have 3l of coolant once mixed with water. You can dilute further, but at 1:3 you are down to about -15 from -36 protection wise.

I'll have done mine before then, I'm using Comma G48 antifreeze in mine I've decided.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave How did you get on with this at the weekend?
Pretty well as it happens! Epic weather = nice weekend of car tinkering :up:
Started by getting everything together in some kind of organised chaos:
36103772883_7cc632d7ca_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36911782585_01e91f8c3d_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36077488014_2c00dfd7e2_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Then stared at the engine for a little while:
36103771903_75b51ec7c7_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Started to put it all back together:
36911781655_25172c6113_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36103771643_b704c528bd_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Until i was at this point on Sunday morning:
36103772033_1f723b6767_k.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Just need to put some cheap oil in it now so that i can get it up to temperate & fill/bleed the coolant, then i'll give it another oil change with the decent stuff once i know everything is all in & working ok. Hopefully get that done on Sunday with any luck ... then its MOT time.

@Chrisgti6 did you manage to get your radiator & coolant done ok?

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yes mate, mines all done. It was full of lovely brown sludge. It took me 4 fills and empties (including a wet vac on the block) to get the water to run clean!

3l of Comma G48 Antifreeze and the rest deionised water and it's all good. I have realised my low speed fan isn't working, but that seems common, and seeing the resistor that controls it I can see why it fails!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Oh and @Sir_Dave if you need to do anything like that again on it, whip the front end off - it only takes 20 minutes to remove the bumper, crash bar and rad housing and it gives you full access to the front of the motor

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yes mate, mines all done. It was full of lovely brown sludge. It took me 4 fills and empties (including a wet vac on the block) to get the water to run clean! 3l of Comma G48 Antifreeze and the rest deionised water and it's all good. I have realised my low speed fan isn't working, but that seems common, and seeing the resistor that controls it I can see why it fails!
Urgh, yukky poo water 😂 probably never been changed before then!!
Mine was ok when it came out thankfully, rather irritatingly, it had been changed about 400 miles before it broke when the Quaifed gearbox/clutch/SMF was fitted by 1320. Doh! I've got 1.5L of Mini Coolant and 5L of de-ionised water, so hopefully that'll do it. Is the low speed fan the one that comes on at 100 degrees? Mines ruddy loud if so, sounds like a small airport is being run under the bonnet lol ...

Re: the "service mode", barring getting to the radiator bottom hose (pain in the bum), you can whip the head off fine without taking the front end off, just needs some inlet manifold wiggling. My bumper is semi quick-release anyways, so that always comes/falls off for anything major :laughing:

What I/c is that Dave?
Its an early GRS "Motorsport Version", without the diverter that they fitted onto the later ones. Have been tempted on occasion to fit an Airtec FMIC, but they are a hell of a lot more money & id loose boost/need to move up to a 17% to offset it. This one generally keeps temps where i need them and it'll only get close to "temp clipping" IAT's on a very warm trackday - i keep an eye on temps with the Scanguage and let off on the straights to manage that anyways.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Its an early GRS "Motorsport Version", without the diverter that they fitted onto the later ones. Have been tempted on occasion to fit an Airtec FMIC, but they are a hell of a lot more money & id loose boost/need to move up to a 17% to offset it. This one generally keeps temps where i need them and it'll only get close to "temp clipping" IAT's on a very warm trackday - i keep an eye on temps with the Scanguage and let off on the straights to manage that anyways.

When I had a pulley fitted the other day at Millsy's autos he suggested a 15% is best anyway. Especially if they ever see a track and that's even with an upgraded I/C. He said he's taken 17% off cars and they've seen better gains on the road and track. I don't know how true this is but he seemed a very genuine guy with a vast knowledge that's for sure.

If you can get close to clipping temps on a 15% with upgraded I/C on warm day I'm guessing what he's said it true.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What sort of IAT are you reaching on track etc?
From memory, low to mid 50's. With this setup, its very rare that i ever lose power, well, unless the valve has broken up 😂

When I had a pulley fitted the other day at Millsy's autos he suggested a 15% is best anyway. Especially if they ever see a track and that's even with an upgraded I/C. He said he's taken 17% off cars and they've seen better gains on the road and track. I don't know how true this is but he seemed a very genuine guy with a vast knowledge that's for sure.
If you can get close to clipping temps on a 15% with upgraded I/C on warm day I'm guessing what he's said it true.

Yeah, he's bang on to be honest, for my type of use (or even if you want to drive hard on a warm day), there' s absolutely no point having a 17% unless you have a FMIC/Meth imho. Better off having slightly less power, but nicer IAT's and longer S/C life. More boost, but for less of the time seems bit pointless! I've never been one to chase power though ... in reality, mine only pushes out 220 bhp or so and feels far slower in a straight line than the R56 was - but in the corners/on track, the chassis/gearbox work i've put in means its fairly immense.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
From memory, low to mid 50's. With this setup, its very rare that i ever lose power, well, unless the valve has broken up 😂

Yeah, he's bang on to be honest, for my type of use (or even if you want to drive hard on a warm day), there' s absolutely no point having a 17% unless you have a FMIC/Meth imho. Better off having slightly less power, but nicer IAT's and longer S/C life. More boost, but for less of the time seems bit pointless! I've never been one to chase power though ... in reality, mine only pushes out 220 bhp or so and feels far slower in a straight line than the R56 was - but in the corners/on track, the chassis/gearbox work i've put in means its fairly immense.
I'd love a go in a R56 tbh. He was fitting a new fuel setup in his R56 when I was there chasing 350bhp. I bet that's fun. :laughing:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'd love a go in a R56 tbh. He was fitting a new fuel setup in his R56 when I was there chasing 350bhp. I bet that's fun. :laughing:
His R56 looks to be a monster lol!! Mine was fast enough with 235 bhp, a Manic map would have taken it to 270 or so and that would have been ridiculous, 350 is just for the pub bragging rights 😂 As a road car, the way the R56 delivered the power was far better, low down boost, lots of torque, no need to hoon everywhere at 7k rpm chasing some speed, the mpg was better, the interior was solid & made out of non British Leyland plastics. But on track, where none of that is important, it was nowhere near as much fun as the R53, which is flipping awesome post 4.5k rpm, chasing towards 7.5k, whining away like a mentalist :hearteyes: