ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track

Cup In bits
Rear beans are normally toe in, surprised to see it out!

Yeah most are,TBH it could probably be doing with going more towards parallel as the rear is eager to come round, a bit more stability at the back would improve lap times but do nothing for the :D

​This was the printout the first time I had it setup and the rear hasn't changed.

(ignore the front toe settings)

59B08508-B6A4-4AF9-A926-F5E78366E932-7041-0000049F8CF63B61_zpsa1f2c5e4.jpg

Cup In bits
Yeah 4 degrees pap on each side (that old printout went all to pot after setting it up) I was getting as much as 4.5 out of camber bolts but stuck with 4. Look at the outside of my tyre Sunday, its sat off the ground

It need's the 4 deg too with the amount of body roll on standard shocks/eibach springs.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Positive toe is toe in. You're running 14 minutes of toe in.

Are you sure? Thats not the way I read that printout.

If you look at this symbol the the 14 minutes is measured across the rear half, the opposite from the front.

413326C1-94BB-438D-8D2E-376DA308E022-1256-00000117740C4D4D_zpsc52d7572.jpg

182FF
That's just a misleading symbol showing it's the rear not the front. It's a hunter printout, and they use positive toe as toe in which is standard practice. I spent 3 months on these machines at work, we have 6ish

Cup In bits
That's just a misleading symbol showing it's the rear not the front. It's a hunter printout, and they use positive toe as toe in which is standard practice. I spent 3 months on these machines at work, we have 6ish

You'll know better if you have done the course then haha, it's just the way I read the printout.

The rear beam is still pretty good for standard :)

Cup In bits
The car got washed/fuelled last night, I adjusted wiper linkage and PMS shifter this morning, pressures were set and its waiting to be loaded. Bring on Sunday.

Cup In bits
Good man, how's the pms shifter feel?

Its good aye, I just can't get mine set up for reverse just how I would like, not a massive problem as you only use that when stopped, all forward gears are okay.

I fitted another one for a mate on Thursday and his is perfect, all gears are easy to select. I noticed too that PMS have made some modifications on the design/hardware of his (just bought) to the one I have (group buy)

Its good aye, I just can't get mine set up for reverse just how I would like, not a massive problem as you only use that when stopped, all forward gears are okay.

I fitted another one for a mate on Thursday and his is perfect, all gears are easy to select. I noticed too that PMS have made some modifications on the design/hardware of his (just bought) to the one I have (group buy)

What modifications have they made?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Sounds like what happens when you buy new software. They change when they get feedback from customers. . They should allow you to return it if you can't get all your gears.

Cup In bits
I'm choking for a PMS shifter TBH.

go for it, good things.

What modifications have they made?

The pivot points where the bearings go have had different profiled sleeve's to make it easier to fit I'm guessing, also they have got a knurled type pattern on the selector rod to pin adjustment, I would think that's to get good friction and also a few different bolts. That was all I noticed as I didn't have them side by side. There still exactly the same in looks and use, its just small technical improvements.

Sounds like what happens when you buy new software. They change when they get feedback from customers. . They should allow you to return it if you can't get all your gears.

Yeah its the same with everything, improvements are made and nothing's mentioned so as to not piss off the original purchaser.

I can get all gears alright, reverse just needs a shove. As long as its going in all forward gears and won't select reverse when going for first then that's all that maters to me. I haven't found the sweet spot on mine when setting it up, a little more time would see it perfect I'm sure.

Cup In bits
Well had another brilliant day on track at Knockhill for the performance french car show, the cup ran faultlessly (thank god) . I double booked the sessions and used a full tank, done 120 on track miles and a couple testing the turf and gravel quality around the circuit ;) The days not complete with at least one off.

The weather was changeable (fun) all morning which led to a couple half spins and an off at duffis (first lap) clowning about and I'm sure I got most of them so I will post them when ready.

​There was a few wristers out there today, people not moving over, overtaking on the right in braking zones, guys literally nudging people out the way. It was wacky races at some points tbh, I'm not squeaky clean in it all (over driving) but you get some right feckn nuggets out there.

I was there today mate passenger in mates cars, the standards of driving were pretty poor, people not moving over when they were clearly slower etc.
Your Cup seemed to be going very well, looked great out on track.

Cup In bits
Yeah I was guilty of tailgating as people just don't let you past, you can't even fall back either and make space as most are stupidly slow and your right back on there bumper.

Yeah the cup goes good round there, good throwing it about with the standard suspension. Its just screaming out for semi's and coilovers but I'll persevere until the other ones ready.

I think I must have been speaking to your pal too, was you with a red scoob, turbo Clio etc?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Car looked to be going well Morgan when I seen it out. You are always going to get poorer driving standards at these days than a TS day. It's all an ego thing by not letting someone past as they can go fast in straight line, etc.

Cup In bits
Yeah was going alright Steven, I'm getting a bit bored of the boatish handling now, you have to really throw it around to keep it going. Today was the slickest on track I have driven in, oil put down and then the rain came on....felt like Ice one session.

Yeah you see them all at HH days, I just got a right bunch of them today. I swear some don't use there mirrors or don't know what's left and right.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Got the the bug again tho haven't you lol

Big time! Think I'll need to stay away till the car is ready. Lol

Yeah was going alright Steven, I'm getting a bit bored of the boatish handling now, you have to really throw it around to keep it going. Today was the slickest on track I have driven in, oil put down and then the rain came on....felt like Ice one session.

Yeah you see them all at HH days, I just got a right bunch of them today. I swear some don't use there mirrors or don't know what's left and right.

Not worth going to far with this one is there if the race car is just about ready (ish). Sounded good too.

Hardcore stuff with the 2 sessions. Won't see me doing that, I'll need a few sessions gap to let the car and probably me cool down.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Yeah 4 degrees pap on each side (that old printout went all to pot after setting it up) I was getting as much as 4.5 out of camber bolts but stuck with 4. Look at the outside of my tyre Sunday, its sat off the ground

It need's the 4 deg too with the amount of body roll on standard shocks/eibach springs.

How did you get so much? I run camber bolts and couldn't get more than -2.7 on one side and -2.1 on the other! Perhaps it's just me!

Cup In bits
Big time! Think I'll need to stay away till the car is ready. Lol

Not worth going to far with this one is there if the race car is just about ready (ish). Sounded good too.

Hardcore stuff with the 2 sessions. Won't see me doing that, I'll need a few sessions gap to let the car and probably me cool down.

The car will be staying as is, seen the error of my ways fitting the RS2 manifold, its just a stop gap into my other one is done so no point. If someone wants to give me coilovers though that
might change my mind.

Makes the day pass quick alright.

How did you get so much? I run camber bolts and couldn't get more than -2.7 on one side and -2.1 on the other! Perhaps it's just me!

Because Cup....

Seriously though I suppose its because it is a cup and has more static camber to begin with and caster (dynamic camber) for that matter. The type of shock can affect the camber figures, it depends how the hub bolt holes are drilled on the shock casing (I have standard shocks)

The most important bit is when its being setup, make sure to have the lower standard shocker bolt slack enough so the hub can pivot easily, with the top camber bolt you have to keep pushing the top of the wheel in while setting it up and the tab on the Eibach bolt has to be in the right direction too.

Nobody EVER does this and just expects the bolt to do the work.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Because Cup....

Seriously though I suppose its because it is a cup and has more static camber to begin with and caster (dynamic camber) for that matter. The type of shock can affect the camber figures, it depends how the hub bolt holes are drilled on the shock casing (I have standard shocks)

The most important bit is when its being setup, make sure to have the lower standard shocker bolt slack enough so the hub can pivot easily, with the top camber bolt you have to keep pushing the top of the wheel in while setting it up and the tab on the Eibach bolt has to be in the right direction too.

Nobody EVER does this and just expects the bolt to do the work.

Thanks, my car is a cup too, but I'm running GAZ coilovers (yes, I know.) I slackened off the bottom bolt but perhaps not enough! I think I should get someone with more skills to do mine :)

Cup In bits
Thanks, my car is a cup too, but I'm running GAZ coilovers (yes, I know.) I slackened off the bottom bolt but perhaps not enough! I think I should get someone with more skills to do mine :)

From memory It will also depend how thick the metal is that's used on the strut to hub mounting. Too thick and the cam on the Eibach bolt will hit it.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
From memory It will also depend how thick the metal is that's used on the strut to hub mounting. Too thick and the cam on the Eibach bolt will hit it.

Would make sense as the lobe/tab couldn't move around enough. Thanks for your help anyway, I may change the suspension out to a better set that allows for camber adjustment

Cup In bits
Would make sense as the lobe/tab couldn't move around enough. Thanks for your help anyway, I may change the suspension out to a better set that allows for camber adjustment

Probably not needed, I quite rate Gaz suspension having had them on my mk1 xr2.

5 mins with a die grinder and you'll have 7 deg.

I think I must have been speaking to your pal too, was you with a red scoob, turbo Clio etc?
I was in the Evo 2 race car and white Evo 4 with no rear wing. Was also with the lad in the blue Nova turbo and the lad in the gold wide arch Nova. Blue one only did you three sessions then the rain came so he put it back on the trailer, couldn't get any grip trying to put 400+bhp thru 888's and his camber settings moved making the tyre hit the arch.
The lad with the red Scooby was a friend of my mates, he paid £900 for it the day before and took it up there and kicked its head in!!

Cup In bits
I was in the Evo 2 race car and white Evo 4 with no rear wing. Was also with the lad in the blue Nova turbo and the lad in the gold wide arch Nova. Blue one only did you three sessions then the rain came so he put it back on the trailer, couldn't get any grip trying to put 400+bhp thru 888's and his camber settings moved making the tyre hit the arch.
The lad with the red Scooby was a friend of my mates, he paid £900 for it the day before and took it up there and kicked its head in!!

Yeah he was saying about the scooby, clean one too for the money.

I never got a chance to look round much tbh doing two sessiins but I did see the gold Nova passing, lovely car.

Cup In bits
Got one of the video's uploaded from some of the drier sessions.

Halfspin and the fastest line through Duffus included.

Edited with iMovie and uploaded in 720p so quality ain't great.

​[video=youtube_share;bg_YNyOG9Zg]http://youtu.be/bg_YNyOG9Zg[/video]

Cup In bits
Half spin @ 11:00 and I think a caught a couple of the love taps that the AX was handing out @ 13:00 (those who were will know)

Nice driving, really like the layout of Knockhill but a little far for me to go considering I'm less than an hour from Southampton!

That Nova driver looked like a right satchel. I would not be happy if he was that close to my bumper on track.

Cup In bits
Yeah its a good little up and down circuit and they let a lot of things slide (noise test for one) so its good for track days. There was a good few people up from Newcastle area but Southampton is a bit too far lol.

Did you mean the Citroen AX? He was given a few warnings for giving a couple of people some nudges

Cup In bits
Yeah he nudged a few people I was told, not sure who though.

He looks to hit the 206 @ 13:10 coming out of the hairpin.