ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

13.8@106 isn't to be sniffed at, some decent drag tyres would see that nearer to 12.5. You're always going to be struggling to put the power down with road tyres and 106mph traps.

When I say drag tyres I mean drag tyres, and not just any old slicks. I tried my hillclimb slicks at the pod, they grip like s**t to a blanket on tarmac, useless on the strip.

Anyway, the 106mph is the bit that counts :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
OOOh now there sounds like a man who knows qtr mile times so I thought I'd post my timings up to see what you think it says about the overall performance of the car and I presume 106mph is a good terminal?

Reaction +.602
60 ft 2.359
330ft 6.139
1/8 9.20
1000' 11.3
1000' 96.0
1/4 13.87
1/4 105.9 (i'm allowed to round that up to 106 because i'm special ;) )

60 ft 2.359 tells you about traction, it might be that you're a complete muppet off the line, but really it'll be your tyres. In my 5 with the hillclimb tyres I was doing similar times to yours with 2.3 sec starts. I borrowed some 14" MT drag slicks and did a 12.85 ish with a 2 sec 60ft, I only did 1 run, but there wasn't a massive amount there as they still slipped most of the way down the strip.

I bought some real drag tyres(9/22/13) and built a new engine to do a 1.83 start with 11.58@120mph. With these I could use full throttle from 2nd, albeit with some slip (you wouldn't have that problem with your power). I only did 4 runs, so never dialled them in, but they were night and day better than the smaller MT slicks.

The 106mph is about how quick your car is, that won't really change with tyres, so is the best way to compare performance without getting silly with tyres.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Ah thats very interesting to know! The Orange TVR Chimera 500 in the pictures is a mate of mine that I have a bit of a grudge match with to beat just for fun and I thought I didn't stand a chance as he ran 13.3 but with a terminal of 104 so maybe i'm still in with a chance.

Oh I forgot to mention I currently have 2.5 degrees front camber at the moment which surely can't be helping lol.

Oh I forgot to mention I currently have 2.5 degrees front camber at the moment which surely can't be helping lol.

nope, you can also drop pressures, paint on 'grip', slide your seat forwards, low fuel etc... lots of stuff to play with, or just tell him that 104 is slower than 106, job done :)

ITB'd MK1
Does sliding your seat forward really affect the weight distrubtion all that much?

depends on the wheelbase of the car, and the original position of the seat. The shorter the wheelbase, the more difference small changes in moving weight forward make. When i used to do RWYB regularly in my 200sx, i always got best launches with half a tank of fuel, rather than running low to save weight

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I have just read your project right through, its epic! And your local!

If we manage to get a local meet organised you have to come, it looks awesome.

WELL DONE!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
this thread is epic. i have just read this start to finish and i have to be up for work in 4 hours. absolutley insane. wish i had half the knowledge you guys have.

so much time and effort and money has been put into this. just goes to show that with a bit of hard work and dedication anything can be achieved.

Megane GT
I've just had a look through this thread, amazing job that youve done. Its inspiring to say the least! Makes me want to do it although i have nowhere near the technical know how.
All the best for any future races you do :)

172cup
just read through most of this thread saw bits and bobs a year ago. Truely stunning build!! Hope its still going strong engine looks epic!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Wow cheers for digging my thread up guy's I've not updated this in ages and I feel like I should soon. The car still exists and is still in one peice however it is SORN'ed at the moment as the weather hates the Clio and the Clio hates the weather lol. I'm going to get a few bits done to tidy up a couple of loose ends while it's off the road then once the sun returns we will be out and about hopefully seeing a lot of you at meets, shows and trackdays!

Thanks again for taking the time to read. Chris and Moo

e92 330i
Bloody amazing. Absolutely loved the saxo but this is just amazing. The attention to detail is brilliant. Bet it's an animal! Can't wait to see it completely finished. Keep up the good work lads!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cant wait to see this car finished at fcs 2011 ;)

Quoted from 1-6-2008
You were scarily 100% spot on!
That was the first fcs this car made it to lol
Should probably update this thread at some point as the car is now complete and out and about

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
WELL!!!!! It's been a bloody long time since i updated this but I think it's about time I filled in some of the gaps and adventures the car has had in the last couple of years.
Sorry if things are a bit breif and probably in the wrong order etc, but its been a long very eventful time lol
Fortunately we haven't been too pressy with the car once it was finished and have just managed to use it!
After the first outing of the car at USC, we got the car to Trax that year at Silverstone which was the first time we managed to get it on a track, with a 15 minute session!

trax8.jpg

The car instantly showed that we had built the car right as it seemed to be a complete demon on the track! Even though my talents at the time needed to be raised upto the standards of the car lol.

With old school glass headlights we had to tape them up (uber cool lol)

trax10.jpg

Then a couple of pictures of the car out on track stretching its legs, not the best but we were new to all this

trax11.jpg

trax12.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_L1BB5_LIQ

As I said, the car seemed to be so good on track and I enjoyed it SO much it seemed rude not try to get it to as many trackdays as we could get to/afford.
Next up was a trackday round Bedford with my brother

LMP_1055.jpg

LMP_8655.jpg

LMP_9576.jpg

My brothers Rallye did suprisingly well out on track too, especially for a 1300 with skinny little tyres

LMP_8238.jpg

First PROPER track time did show up some slight issues that did need addressing, the first one was that third gear isn't the best, jumping out of gear on occasions, but more importantly the car is very very noisey which, as anyone who's done trackday will know, is not a good thing. Luckily they were being leanient with us.
Next up was a feature in Redline magazine!
After being contacted by Ktec about a feature in Redline magazine, we jumped at the oppertunity. Especially as my brother old Saxo had already had a magazine feature, and sibling rivalry and all that! lol

9fa94ea1.jpg

9c6a4132.jpg

bdbaf5e9.jpg

101e1daa.jpg

b9739db4.jpg

Next up for our dads 63th birthday we arranged a suprise track evening at Bedford Autodrome (busmans holiday and all that lol). So we rocked up with the Clio, my brothers bog standard Saxo VTS and a standard 172 we just happened to have at the time lol

185de9ae.jpg

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any pictures from on track of that day evening, but after the engine mount failing on the standard 172, the white Clio and the gold Saxo spent the evening faultlessly going round and we also managed to get some videos

On board in the Clio, not going the best owing to the usual noise problems and still getting to grips with the Clio as it's honestly SO alien compaired to a road car lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKu5TFP6gJU

Next up onboard in the Saxo looking back at the Clio, I could have easily passed but it was the end of the day and we were just pissing about tbh lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FxXwSZoMeQ&feature=relmfu

Then onboard in the Saxo with quite a big moment towards the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZDcRFUR9M&feature=relmfu

And this is were things changed, for the worse!
We'd arranged another trackday and being pretty sure the car seemed to be holding together we decided that we were going to go all out as fast as we could, taking as much curb as we can etc! So to get used to the car I decided to take it to work the week before!
2 days before the trackday coming down Chicheley Hill I was gunning it past a Kia of some sort (of all things), suddenly had a huge lack of power and missfire, and then I looked in the mirror there was a LOT of smoke.
Managed to get it into a layby, called my brother and waited for him to arrive in the 306 diesel to tow me home. Fearing the worst but we were both oddly calm!?
Looking in the bodies cylinder 3 had a lot of oil in it and a fair bit of metal, so we both knew it was terminal
ot the car home and managed to pull the head off in well under half hour lol and our worst fears were confirmed

32b901aa.jpg

2272aa05.jpg

It had dropped a valve destroying pretty much everything
Not being phased by this, luckily I had some savings at the time, which were all entirely swolled up, but we managed to source a 172 engine off eBay, got some pistons, contacted our close friend Dan (sideways dan) at 519 automotive and set about another engine build to similar spec to its predecessor, just with stronger valves.

2a0e7831.jpg

2a63e9aa.jpg

51a0054d.jpg

1d6d00eb.jpg

068d2b46.jpg

abfda8d4.jpg

e5c45add.jpg

This was all on a very tight time scale to get the car ready for a mates birthday celebration once again at Bedford Autodrome.
So the pistons arrived Monday morning, a couple of late nights to get the engine built.
Followed by another late night the get the engine fitted (something we HAVE done before lol)

58604278.jpg

1179a5d9.jpg

Another late night to plum it in, followed by an early morning jolly down to a rolling road to get the engine mapped!
All very tight time wise, but somehow achieved!?!

th_165ad12b.jpg

4f5dcdfa.jpg

Once again I don't think there are any pictures of it on track, but there is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znv0iU5DG9k

Right next up was a show we'd desperatly wanted to get the Clio to for quite some time now!
We made it to French Car Show!!!

86137be1.jpg

71674df6.jpg

a2409b6c.jpg

9312443b.jpg

Managed to get a short amount of track time round Rockingham also which was fun barging through the traffic

f660f431.jpg

Now finally getting upto date a bit more with this, the last time we got it on track was round Donnington at an eventful Clio club trackday with my brother in his ITB 106 Rallye

2 days before the trackday, in my infinate wisdom I decided to pull the gearbox out and fix a small oil leak we had from the rear main on the new engine

8a42da8a.jpg

Luckily all went to plan and we made it to the trackday

Once again some issues with noise and got black flagged by a marshell TWICE thinking my fibreglass bonnet was coming off as it flaps slightly at speed! lol

6f066730.jpg

XSP_3895_exposure.jpg

Onboard in the Clio with Coops having to short shift as usual owing to noise issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HOKtqSdfA

Following the 106 Once again could have easily passed but we were messing around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBknma34OA

Unfortunately the biggest event of the day wasn't the best, though now we look back at it and laugh

Onboard in the 106

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcaVojSlHo&feature=relmfu

033f2d4f.jpg

3fcface9.jpg

And this is the tracktime of the Clio up to date.
So we have now been working over the winter to try to sort a few things out that have been bugging is/shown not to be up to spec etc in the years use

First thing that needed addressing is the noise, so after talking to some airbox manufacturers, I got some dimensions and made a mock up 'cardboardfibre' airbox to see what room we had.

ce17e81d.jpg

67595c5a.jpg

7e4fac63.jpg

Then decided to bite the bullet, get some shorter trumpets (as the 120's would never fit with an airbox) and order an airbox!
Very sexy, just need to do a bit of modifying of things to get it fitted

832de34f.jpg

9ca6d733.jpg

We have also managed to get hold of a Mongoose exhaust, for free for fitting an exhaust to a Focus St, to replace the awful Powerflow item it had on it, which should also help keep the noise down

df5da78c.jpg

b90b3d44.jpg

THE BUMPER WAS CUT BY POWERFLOW WHEN THEY MADE THE ORIGINAL EXHAUST!!!!

Finally we have got round to laquering the roof, which has needed doing since the car was orignially built, and looks amazing for it!

ebd5dbc2.jpg

f06676fc.jpg

ab8fd13a.jpg

Thats is all for now I think!
Cheers for looking
If someone could EMBED the Youtube videos for me, that would be greatfully recieved xxx

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Roof looks epic now.

Still think it should be on some period alloys though - Black turbines for me!

But I'd still have it in a heartbeat. Loving the abrupt stop of the rallye!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
LOL! Its been thought about on occasions, putting an F7R in it, but we've ended up going in a different direction, keeping the Clio as a track car!
With the 106's 'situation' at Donnington we decided to go big or go home lol
Trying to build a car that will stay with the Clio performance wise but is eligable for some race championships, so we currently have built this.

e561e735.jpg

985764aa.jpg

d66a30e8.jpg

bd0410e1.jpg

88f2f40d.jpg

15814254.jpg

So hopefully that will be in the tin tops next year (as a GTI) in class C, on trackdays chasing the Clio round and also we also to Lotton Hill, for a hillclimb race and that looks like something I'm sure we could weasel the Clio into and enter the 106 in. So hopefully more fun to come

BMW M5 & E36
Good update mate. Seems ages since we were curb hopping at Donington.

What's the cage in the 106 out of interest? I'm helping a friend with his GTI build at the moment.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
hey man,
good to see you back on here...
good to hear the ups and downs with both cars too, hope you are both well, hope to see more updates on here now.

neil

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Omg, i remember reading some of this project back when i joined years ago......

and i saw the actual car during the london tunnel run last year.......

never in a million years would i have thought they were the same car!! im absolutely shocked!!
amazing work guys!!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers for all the replies!
Yeah, even with everything that happened to my brother that Donnington trackday was a brilliant laugh!
The cage that we fitted in the 106 was a t45 custom cages item!
Yeah we will try to keep the thread up-to-date now, not sure why it got neglected really, probably having too much fun enjoying the car.
The tunnel run was nice to get to chat to a few people on here and show off the car, even if it wasn't much of an event itself and everyone got lost lol!
The entire engine blow up and rebuild was a stressfull time for all throughout tbh lol

94' Valver F4R'd
EPIC!
Spent hours reading through this!! Love it all, wish i had the time and money to do this with my MK1 PH3 1.4 ;)

How much Bhp are you pushing roughly?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
EPIC!
Spent hours reading through this!! Love it all, wish i had the time and money to do this with my MK1 PH3 1.4 ;)

How much Bhp are you pushing roughly?

Cheers for taling the time dude!! Always apreciate people taking the time to read about the old car. Last couple of times the cars been on the rollers its been between 219-222bhp which in a cra weighing 780kg makes it pretty frisky to drive lol.

It should be at Fcs this year for ayone that fancies a look round it.