ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Todays progress, Got the dash and the rest of the interior and sound deadening removed and managed to remove both the Renault alarm immobiliser and a few gastly aftermarket ones. Then swung the dash back in and checked everything still worked with these removed.
Once we'd established all was well we whipped EVERYTHING except the heater box out the car to make room for the cage.

20102007271.jpg

20102007273.jpg

Next we trial fitted the cage in place which took some persuading and revealed we need to do a bit of playing with the brackets supplied. WHAT A CAGE THOUGH! really profesional.

20102007275.jpg

20102007276.jpg

20102007278.jpg

By the end of the day we'de sourced some tardis (tar and bug remover) and hoovered, scrubbed and scraped the rest of the deadening out and put the cage in it's final position

20102007283.jpg

20102007286.jpg

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers for the support fellas cars getting to the interesting bit now. Not much to report for a whole days effort today but we did work pretty hard all day basically removing all the wiring and switchgear we won't be using. Removed all the wiring for heated rear window, rear wash wipe all the cental locking wiring radio and speaker looms all sorts of stuff found it's was into the bin. Now as we're not using any trim we don't want any rendom plugs dangling around the car. Also we did a lot of cutting, griding and aligning of the cage and brackets which is pretty heavy going.

OH yeah and the cage is an OMP weld in 6 point number from yb racing who got it to us in good time.

Just read this from start to finish, one of the best threads currently running, can't wait to see it all finished and painted!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We're deffinately keeping it road legal but it's not really gonna be a road car it'll be mostly set up for the track.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
awsome matey only just saw all the updates and seems your doing a good job and putting some money into it.
looks very impressive just wish i had the money aswell.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
got a question for you bud :)

got my engine in today, the gearbox mount (not the dogbone), what have you done with it to make it right?

im thinking of having the 172 mount hole tapped to fit the valver bush, if you get what i mean?

what you mean it fits fine? using the 172 gearbox mount?

got any pics of how it fits? im using 172 box

right so what bush was that using? all original 172 mount? or mix and match 172 mount and valver bush? cos thats what im trying

and which bolt hole didnt line up?

right! looks like im either gonna have to go for the full 172 setup or try this one using the 172 gearbox 'brace' and valver bush

nothing is ever straight forward is it lmao

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Sorry fella's been a non clio weekend i've not been able to get on the internet either, I'd love to be able to help you dan but with regards to the temparature guage wire we actually spliced a 172 plug onto the end of the valver inner wing loom and have now trimmed the old valver plug off along with all the wires so theres nothing left to check for you sorry.

As for the gearbox mount we're using the whole 172 mount and bush together and as Dan says the hole on the turret doesn't line up but i'm philing it out so it does.

right looks like im gonna have to get hold of a 172 gerabox mount and have a mess around with it

anyone got one? ;)

535d / t5 caravelle
these 172 engined mk1's are gonna be awesome, any of you guys gonna be open to doing the conversions on others?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
If all the parts were there waiting this conversion is mega easy and quite quick really. As we just used a decoded ECU it really was pretty simple to wire up too (no rev counter yet mind). I think we'd be more than happy to do one for someone, only problem is times a bit of a stretch at the moment as we're still not done wit mine yet lol.

535d / t5 caravelle
If all the parts were there waiting this conversion is mega easy and quite quick really. As we just used a decoded ECU it really was pretty simple to wire up too (no rev counter yet mind). I think we'd be more than happy to do one for someone, only problem is times a bit of a stretch at the moment as we're still not done wit mine yet lol.

cool, just weighing up some options:D

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
MORE PROGRESS AT LAST

Just a little update really work has slowed a bit really as the cage is a B4$74&D job to weld in but we've got that under way. It took a lot of cutting, grinding, prying and hammering to get it into position. the biggest problem we encountered was the ridiculously thin floor pan and the very thick roll cage brackets meaning i now have a couple of small holes to get welded up by my very generous friend ady who for a couple of chip shop dinners is welding the cage in for us. We've got it positioned but now to make it perfect I need to make some small brackets up to box up the untidy bits

THANKS ADY!!!!THANKS ADY!!!!

11112007308.jpg

11112007309.jpg

While all this was going on me ever loyal brother has been tracing and unpicking wiring from inside the dash we don't want and when it's uploaded i'll post a fairly funny pic of him working on a very complicated loom on the lawn.

Thanks for looking

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We've lost the origioanl picture of my brother cutting up the loom but this is the back of the dash having the radio, door hazard, rear wiper etc wiring being removed

21102007289.jpg

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
BIG NEWS!!!!!!!

Got a phonecall today to say my carbon fibre roof is ready and will be delivered early next week!!! Can't wait to be able to post some pictures!!:clap:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Score!! Is it a roof panel or just a skin to go on top?

Started doing the same to the wiring, b**ch of a job but surely worth it!

Good work though mate :D

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Didn't know you were gettting a roof??!?!

I like the sound of that!!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Score!! Is it a roof panel or just a skin to go on top?

Started doing the same to the wiring, b**ch of a job but surely worth it!

Good work though mate :D

It's a full roof panel, custom made for me (I do feel special lol). Gonna be a little while before I can get it in the workshop for the respray and to fit it as christmas etc seems to be robbing all my pennies:( :(

ArcticBlue 182 Phull Phat
Read through whole story so far and actually cannot wait for you to make progress. Will be amazingly quick on the track!

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
i reckon this is going to be one of the best mk1 out there on track when its finished will be quick, handle well............................job done!

nice one :cool: