ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

America

Going for too weeks v.soon, do I need a mains transformer for electrical goods, are they at different voltages? like charging my Iphone, Laptop etc etc etc

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Check the writing on the plug .. if it says input voltage of 120-240 (50-60hz)then your good to go, all you will need is a travel plug which you can pick up most places for a few quid.

If the input voltage is only 240-250 or only 60hz you wont be able to use then without an expensive transformer.. (basically not worth the hassle)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've not had something not work from a £2 converter before and i've taken loads of stuff over, you will be fine with a cheap adapter.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Best to check though, most things will support the lower voltage and different hertz, but things like GHD's wont work (or at least not the older models, not sure about the new ones)

Better than yours. C*nt.
As KDF said, check voltage ranges. Typically nowadays manufacturers are bored of making multiple adapters for different markets and just screw a different plug on the end, so have a range of 100v-240v at 50-60Hz.

SLK250 CDI
Best to check though, most things will support the lower voltage and different hertz, but things like GHD's wont work (or at least not the older models, not sure about the new ones)

This is true. All my laptop and phone, etc. stuff worked OK but the wife's GHD and hairdryer were 230v input so wouldn't. Apparantly the brand new GHDs on the market now are dual input voltage.

2008 Albi 197

This is true. All my laptop and phone, etc. stuff worked OK but the wife's GHD and hairdryer were 230v input so wouldn't. Apparantly the brand new GHDs on the market now are dual input voltage.

We had the same in New York, the phones and cameras would charge but the missus couldnt use her GHD's and had to go buy a cheap pair

Black Gold 182 FF
Most things that use mains chargers- such as Sat nav/ipods/camera battery chargers (not AA battery ones generally) can be charged using 110v supply in the USA- it usually says on the charger 110v-240v Things like hair dryers, etc work directly off the mains so unless they are dual voltage they just go slower/cooler.
My ipod charger works ok.

2012 WRX Waggon
Most things that use mains chargers- such as Sat nav/ipods/camera battery chargers (not AA battery ones generally) can be charged using 110v supply in the USA- it usually says on the charger 110v-240v Things like hair dryers, etc work directly off the mains so unless they are dual voltage they just go slower/cooler.
My ipod charger works ok.

ipod / phones / computer all fine.

we had to sell everything else when we came here

Last edited: