ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator replacement - aux belt advice

Arctic 182
Hi,

My alternator has packed in, so I'm going to have to fit a new one.

I understand it's advisable to replace the aux belt at the same time, however my question is do I need to replace just the belt, or the whole kit, i.e. pulley and tensioners too?

The whole kit was last replaced in 2012 by Ren7oaks. I reached 72,000 miles last year, and Ren7oaks advised that I only needed the belt changed, which they did this time last year.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My alternator has packed in, so I'm going to have to fit a new one.

I understand it's advisable to replace the aux belt at the same time, however my question is do I need to replace just the belt, or the whole kit, i.e. pulley and tensioners too?

The whole kit was last replaced in 2012 by Ren7oaks. I reached 72,000 miles last year, and Ren7oaks advised that I only needed the belt changed, which they did this time last year.

Thanks in advance.
The aux belt kit replacement is due every 3600 miles or 5 years wich ever comes first.
There is no need to replace the aux belt kit or belt if just replacing the alternator.
You need to make sure the belt goes back on the same way you took it off and also make sure nothing comes into contact with the belt e.g the jubilee clip.
Renault manual states NEVER REUSE A OLD BELT but its common for garages to reuse the old one to save time/cost, i never had a problem with it.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
For peace of mind I'd replace with a new kit rather than just a belt, as above the recommended interval is 36,000 mile or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Whilst it may well be fine and carry on for some time there's always that chance of it failing and destroying the engine as some unlucky people have found out.

I suppose it comes down to whether you're happy to spend a bit extra for that peace of mind or want to risk the possibility of a larger repair bill in time should either the belt or tensioner fail

Arctic 182
Thanks guys. I'm well aware of the 36,000 or 5 year change, which is why I got it changed last year.

I understand there isn't actually any 'need' to replace the belt when replacing the alternator, but from research on here I gather it's advisable.

Either way I'm going to replace it for peace of mind, my query is whether I just need to replace the belt or whether I should get the whole kit.

renault clio 172
I could be selling a belt kit its done done less than 200 miles only a month old cuz i am changing to a air con delete kit

M2 Comp
For what it costs, just replace the full kit, it will only be an extra £40-£50. At least then you have the peace of mind everything is in good working order.