ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problem

My battery keeps dying I'm pretty sure it's the alternator. I tested it with a multimeter and got 12.5v.

After taking a closer look at the alternator I think I might be missing a bolt? Not sure if this will fix the problem or if the alternator is just knackered.

Any help appreciated

IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0387.JPG

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Yes you definitely are. I would get that back on asap. Will look up what size up need. give me 5 mins.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Renault parts system is down at the moment. PM me later and I will try again if you cant find the size.
You risk the belt coming off though if there is slack because of that missing bolt.

monaco 172
Coincidence.

Only way the bolt would stop it working is if the alternator wasn't turning due to slack in the belt.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
M8 30 bolt rings a bell but could be wrong, assuming the tensioner has pulled the alternator to where it is and the aux belt is still tensioned then your alternator has seen better days.

If there is some slack in the aux belt then you may get lucky but I wouldn't hold out much hope to be honest.

You'll probably need to take the tension off the aux belt too to get the alternator back into position (again this comes back to whether the belt is tight or not mind)

Should I even try getting it back in position or should I just buy a new alternator?

Also can I adjust the tensioner or will I need to replace that aswell?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
You've nothing to lose by getting the alternator back into its correct position, as mentioned the tensioner is spring loaded so will automatically tension the belt to the required load, it is adjustable for the purpose of changing the belt or components run by the aux belt.

There are a few guides on here that show how to remove the aux belt and tensioner, I'd personally take the tension off the belt and set the alternator back in place and give things a go, like I said previously I expect the alternator is past its best but it has to be worth trying before replacing

monaco 172
Have a look with the engine running.

If the belt is clearly slipping over the alternator pulley and not turning the alternator then that's probably your issue.
Can't see it myself though, if the belt was that loose then you'd probably have PAS issues and a squeaky belt.

If it looks to be turning fine and your still only getting 12v then I'd say the alternator is goosed.