ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alright?

Mini Cooper S
Currently have a Mini Cooper S r53 (the early supercharged one). It's a good car. A special edition with an LSD. It has conti sport tyres instead of run flats too and it really handles very well.

However. Upgrade parts are expensive and the boot size is laughable so I'm thinking about chopping it in for a 182.

Have noticed that the trophy a are about what I would be willing to spend. Obviously being the halo model of the range I'm very tempted. Especially by those Speedlines and seats. I'm a bit concerned about those fancy dampers and age though, Will they be requiring an expensive rebuild?

Anything I need to look at over and above the usual clio 182 stuff?

I'll be hoping to do the occasional track day too and believe the trophy will be well suited to this. Especially compared to the mini.

Cheers.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm. Your Mini sounds decent btw, @Sir Dave always made the uprated parts sound cheap ish? More power wasn't expensive anyway.

On the 182 side of things? I had a Trophy, I didn't love it sadly. Oh and the dampers will need a rebuild but a lot have already had it done. Think it's roundabout £400-500 for a full set.

I think... I'd rather have a decent 182 with some nice mods, springs, Turinis, steering wheel, cup/V6 spoiler and decent maintenence over the price of a Trophy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dampers are £500 for a refurb.

Cambelt/dephaser is every 5yrs/72k and is the thick end if £600 if you have it done properly. (If you don't, it will be 20bhp down!)

Everything else is pretty cheap on them and there's no horror stories to worry about.

Mini Cooper S
I think I read Sir Daves thread on Pistonheads.

It's true, it's relatively easy to get more power out the mini due to it being forced induction. However, braking (which it really lacks in) and handling upgrades seem to cost plenty.

If you're to track the mini I think it'll go through tyres and brakes quickly where's the relatively light weight clio I hope won't.