ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy oil tank catch?????

Black Gold with cup packs
I know the purpose of these, stopping s**t getting into your intake system.. How often do they need to be drained? I am also right in saying that there is a drain plug at the base of the catch in order to drain?

Vw caddy tdi
They are more to stop your engine catching fire, serious piston failure causes the sump to pressurise the oil in the sump out the breather all over the bay. I call it the engine chucking up, all over hot exhaust/wires etc its easy to catch fire and makes a right mess. As for draining catch tank hopefully never.

They are more to stop your engine catching fire, serious piston failure causes the sump to pressurise the oil in the sump out the breather all over the bay. I call it the engine chucking up, all over hot exhaust/wires etc its easy to catch fire and makes a right mess. As for draining catch tank hopefully never.
WTF????????

This isnt a serious post surely?

LY 182
all engines breath a slight amount of oil vapour,,, some less healthy engines being more asthmatic than others.

yeah they all have a drain screw that i've seen most have a level sight too

Black Gold Trophy
I've got one fitted to my 182, it's made by forge motorsport. Only thing with the 182 is you'lll struggle to find somewhere to put it without relocating the battery to the boot!
You'll tend to find that your plenum wont get soaked in oil if you fit one, and your throttle body will be a lot cleaner, allowing a cleaner charge of air thus more power theoretically.

It's A Reno
I thought that catch cans were only of any use on turboed engines.
On 1*2s I'd say they are just a bit more weight to lug around, but as usual I could and most probably am wrong.:(

I seem to get a lot more oil being pushed out the crankcase brather on my turbo car than I have on any NA car maybe they are more prone to it for some reason or another.

It's A Reno
I think it is the bearings in the turbo that can let a slight oil mist into the induction system.
My g/f/ has a turboed sportscar and the intercooler collects oil at the bottom and effectively does the same job, but not as well ofcourse.

Black Gold Trophy
they are more effective on turbo engines, but they still serve a purpose on NA engines. Even the clio cup cars have them, they use a big bottle though rather than a nice alloy tank.
If you buy an alloy one, they weight sweet FA to be honest, mine is carbon. I only bought it for looks but seeing as you cant see it in the bay i can use the excuse it is for reduced weight! lol!

I'm ditching the PCV system in my car asap so I can actually tell if I have a problem with the seals or not, obviously you will always get a small amount of oil weeping past the seals in a healthy turbo but it makes diagnosis a bit difficult when the breather throws oil everywhere in the inlet.

Black Gold Trophy
what engine is it C20LET? They spit a fair amount of oil out the PCV anyway, so it may just be that.
Yeah from what I've heard turbo seals always leak a tiny bit anyway.